Published on January 9, 2009
A Little Exploring
Right Now (at wvu.edu) Student Goals: 1. Find People Like Them 2. Join a Group 3. Learn and contribute (Find a mentor / be a mentor)
1. Find People Like Them At WVU a) Facebook b) Directory http://directory.wvu.edu/
The Challenges with Facebook 1) Which group to join?
The Challenges with Facebook 2) Wall posting is not so great for ﬁnding people who share attributes. http://tinyurl.com/5nkwyu
The Challenges with the Directory 1. Can only search by name or email. (not major, res. hall, interests, etc.) 2. Student can only opt out. (no granular control) 3. Not attached to digital identity. (Facebook has approx. 90% adoption. 3-30% of your students use something with a feed. e.g. a blog, twitter, etc.)
2. Join Groups / Clubs / Orgs a) Facebook (ofﬁcial) b) Ofﬁcial Website List (nice job with this! : ) c) Facebook Unofﬁcial
2. Join Groups Challenges: 1. Does the student ﬁnd the right group? 2. How do leaders recruit? 3. Which groups are active? Which leaders work? 4. Very difﬁcult to assess involvement, esp. with FB. (Assessment and improvement of this process is great for retention) 5. Student group activity is buried on their blogs.
2. Contribute to the WVU Community (only 3-30% of your community is ready to “give back” but they are your best and can be a big help. Think wiki contribution patterns here.) a) Facebook b) Ofﬁcial Website Submit (nice job with this! : )
This is great stuff, but it’s 5 clicks deep. This is the 3-30% at work. http://wvubiodieselproject.blogspot.com/
What if . . . One system could serve your: 1. Directory 2. Groups / Clubs / Orgs 3. Digital Commons (aggregate student /groups feeds) And provide assessment?
1. Students create an account as soon as they are accepted. They connect it to Facebook to verify identity and get initial interest tags. (those that use other online tools can add anything else to their proﬁle) }
This database powers the ofﬁcial WVU directory. . . (basically, it’s a directory “widget” embedded in the wvu website.)
. . . and a directory in Facebook. (as a Facebook application)
. . . and of course: Beneﬁts http://wvu.redroverhq.com 1. Easy to ﬁnd people in common 2. Increased community 3. Creates massive content (feeds) from your top 3-30% of students.
2. Ofﬁcial Clubs are uploaded into system (using excel doc). Student leaders attach their web tools (including FB groups) to their group proﬁle. (they can use any tool they want.) } Physics Club
This database powers the ofﬁcial WVU group page. . . Physics Club (basically, it’s a student org. page “widget”)
This database powers the ofﬁcial WVU group page. . . Physics And provides customized recommendations Club per student based on their interests.
This database powers the ofﬁcial WVU group page. . . Physics Students can join groups right on this Club page.
. . . and Facebook is synced . . . . . . so student joining a group at either the WVU site or Facebook notiﬁes the student leader and is tracked.
Leader notiﬁcation email: Jada Smith
Beneﬁts 1. Recommendations increase group joining 2. Online recruitment and notiﬁcation improves leader effectiveness 3. Facebook / Website sync increases assessment accuracy 4. Involvement activity is fed into FB Newsfeed, increasing visibility With Assessment . . .
Involvement Dashboards Live assessment of group joining. RAs or Advisors Ashley Wilson can make personal volunteering Recommendations
Students’ and groups’ efforts are 3. bundled in RSS feeds and presented as the “digital commons” (Think school speciﬁc friendfeed, ﬁlterable by major, res. hall, tag, #tag, etc.) Digital Commons
Students’ and groups’ efforts are 3. bundled in RSS feeds and presented as the “digital commons” (Think school speciﬁc friendfeed, ﬁlterable by major, res. hall, tag, #tag, etc.) Beneﬁts Digital Commons 1. Builds communities, fosters connection. 2. Students can see what groups do. (If groups want them to.) 3. Great authentic content for admissions. 4. Surfaces all the great work, giving recognition to students.
Helping students 1. Find people like them 2. Join groups and create groups 3. Give to the community A Single Web Based Tool: And helping colleges 4. Track, assess, advise and support the process
Sessions and Schedule. iCal. Sunday, October 4. 11:00. AM - ... http://www.slideshare.net/kprentiss/wv-uexplore-presentation Walker Applications and ...
Looking for Bobby Day ? PeekYou's people search has 861 people named Bobby Day and you can find info, photos, links, family members and more
Wikivoyage talk:Dynamic maps Expedition. From ... But the decision to start using the dynamic maps on ru.wv was very ... Here is the website Uexplore ...
Uexplore: Gregory Dobbins Peter Munro Mrscathy Dobbins ... New Martinsville, WV Berlin, MD View All: Catherine W. Molz, Lcsw-C Kent County Frederick ...
Directions to Lily Of The Valley - Google Maps
The general idea of this project is then to create these PUMA boundaries and post them on the "Archive of Census Related Products" (ACRP).
HIGH END DEPARTMENT STORES: THEIR ACCESS TO AND ... DC-VA-MD-WV Metropolitan ... "correlation files" are available at http://mcdc2.missouri.edu/cgi-bin ...
Ten Things to Know about Urban Vs. Rural . Is America becoming more urban? What portion of the population is now living in an urban (vs. rural) setting?