Published on February 4, 2014
Anastasia M. Trekles, Ph.D.
• We teach the way we were taught • But, students don’t always respond the way we did to the same strategies • Consider where your students are coming from
• One of the most-studied generations • Generalizations come mostly from research – but, still important to not stereotype! • Overall “personality” of those who fit the Millennial group – including students with birthdates roughly from 19802000
• Anyone who grew up with computers and Internet technology (1980-today) • Term coined by Marc Prensky • Primary argument: students today are different • Technology has “wired” their thinking– they are “native speakers” of digital language
• Diverse • Often grew up with “helicopter parents” – “largest, healthiest, and most cared-for generation” • Strive to achieve – motivated by grades, recognition, external awards • Staying at home longer, family-oriented • Grew up with technology as commonplace • Optimistic and confident • Collaborative and team-oriented
• • • • • • • Clarity Chunked content Achievement Ethics training Variety Flexibility and Choice Social engagement • Millennials are often very rulesoriented • Many are more visually literate and less textually literate • Expect to achieve the grades they want and will do whatever it takes to get them • Expect a greater array of selections in all things, including learning • Live in a transparent world where communication is constant
• Variety – vary your activities and assessments, and provide choice where you can • Clarity – explain everything that is required as thoroughly as possible • Use modules/units – smaller packages of material lead to deeper conversations • Examples and resources – offer examples of good work, practice tests, and different ways to study, including through video, summary articles, websites
BlackBoard • • • • • • • • Group Tools Mashups (YouTube, Slideshare) Wikis, Discussions, Blogs Rubrics (Rubistar helps!) Learning Modules Practice tests and assignments SafeAssign, ProctorU, test options Retention Center Other Tools • Social Media (Facebook, Twitter, Google, etc) • Adobe Connect • Camtasia (for creating video lectures) • Online portfolios (Wix.com, Weebly.com, Goo gle Docs)
• http://www.pnc.edu/distance/video-tutorials-pdfguides-for-blackboard-learn/ • http://www.pnc.edu/distance/archived-workshopspresentations/ • http://www.pnc.edu/distance/web-2-0-tools/ • https://help.blackboard.com/enus/Learn/9.1_SP_10_and_SP_11/Instructor/040_Stude nt_Course_Experience/Student_Performance
• Wilson, W., & Gerber, L.E. (2008). How generational theory can improve teaching: Strategies for working with the “millennials.” Currents in Teaching and Learning, 1(1), 29-44. Retrieved from http://www.worcester.edu/currents/archives/volume_1_number_1 /currentsv1n1wilsonp29.pdf • The writings of Marc Prensky: http://www.marcprensky.com • Nicholas, A. (2008). Preferred learning methods of the millennial generation. Faculty and Staff - Articles & Papers. Paper 18. http://digitalcommons.salve.edu/fac_staff_pub/18 • Carr, N. (2011). The shallows: What the Internet is doing to our brains. New York: W.W. Norton.
• Reach us at: – firstname.lastname@example.org – Twitter and Facebook: @PNCOLT – http://www.pnc.edu/distance for all workshop notes, links, and training needs
Working with People: Bad Bosses ... Millennials are the most connected generation in history and will network right out of their current ... 4 Myths About ...
... (also known as the Millennial Generation ... They're being "marginalized and face uncertain working conditions" in jobs that are unrelated to ...
In his lecture Global Top Speaker Dale Stephens illustrates how to work successfully with the generation of Digital Natives.
... our experiences working with multiple generations demonstrates to us ... More has been written about the Millennial generation than any of the ...
Working With the Millennial Generation Suhas Palekar. Wanted: 600 Million New Jobs Michael Dell Influencer. Supreme Court Ruling Demonstrates the ...
Working with the millennial generation June 28, 2013 By LINDA NOWAK Business Journal columnist. If you are reading a printed version of this article ...
... you must not be working." Millennials perform better in a more flexible environment where the result and impact of ... For the Millennial generation, ...
When working with Millennials, it is imperative to listen to them ... With this generation, that really doesn’t work. In this post, ...