Published on October 27, 2018
1. @qahiccupps WHEN SUPPORT CALLS James Thomas Linguamatics
2. @qahiccupps James, Will you be able to help with this one? Sounds like a problem with installing and running. The customer hasn't even started their project.
6. @qahiccupps WHEN SUPPORT CALLS
14. @qahiccupps Get reading material about support calls for Dom. October 2016
16. @qahiccupps Who are Tech Support? The face of your company to your customer when things are not working. Needs investigative, technical, domain, social, and management skills. And a great deal of strength.
18. @qahiccupps What is a Call? An interaction where the customer has a question about the product that needs answering.
19. @qahiccupps Why Have a Call? • Can’t do something • Results look wrong • Taking too long • Service down • Data lost
20. @qahiccupps Why Ask a Tester? • Knowledge • Diagnostic skills • Ideas • Alternative perspectives • Comfort zone
21. @qahiccupps • Unknowns • Urgency • Live performance • Represent the company • Comfort zone Why Worry?
22. @qahiccupps Communication Empathy Problem solving Customer focus Pragmatism Exploration Critical thinking Persistence
23. @qahiccupps James, Will you be able to help with this one? Sounds like a problem with installing and running. The customer hasn't even started their project.
26. @qahiccupps James, Will you be able to help with this one? Sounds like a problem with installing and running. The customer hasn't even started their project.
28. @qahiccupps CAN YOU AVOID THE CALL? • Has this or any customer seen this issue before? • Have we seen it ourselves? • Have we missed anything so far?
29. @qahiccupps I found a bug ticket with similar symptoms … … but did you send a new license file? Ah James, you're a genius ...
30. @qahiccupps THOUGHT-PROVOKING QUESTIONS • Can I describe the customer environment? • Can I identify any questionable assumptions or inconsistencies? • What might a solution look like?
31. @qahiccupps DETAIL-GATHERING QUESTIONS • What was the customer doing? • Why were they doing it? • Are they angry now?
32. @qahiccupps AGENDA-ESTABLISHING QUESTIONS • What is my role on the call? • How can we signal to each other? • What kinds of outcomes are acceptable?
33. @qahiccupps Product logs? System logs? Basic comparison to local?
34. @qahiccupps COMMUNICATE • Listen to and inform the customer • You are your company • Tell the testing story
35. @qahiccupps Support Ticket We did this … We found … Hypotheses are ... Customer conversation Customer conversation Customer conversation Internal conversation Internal conversation Internal conversation
36. @qahiccupps Corrupt license file? Broken installation? Locale? I think it’s the build.
37. @qahiccupps SHARED UNDERSTANDING • Speak the customer’s language • Tell them what you are doing and why • Let them know you are trying
38. @qahiccupps Our interest is secondary to your need. … but could you archive the VM? We’d actually like to run this project on a different architecture. I understand that this is a rare bug that you'd like to isolate [but I just want it] working ASAP.
39. @qahiccupps We’d actually like to run this project on a different architecture. I understand that this is a rare bug that you'd like to isolate [but I just want it] working ASAP. You might want to see this. Yee-hah!
40. @qahiccupps LOOK & SEE. HEAR & LISTEN. • Signal vs noise • Emotion vs fact • Perception vs desire
41. @qahiccupps A PROBLEM The difference between things as desired and things as perceived
42. @qahiccupps LOOK & SEE. HEAR & LISTEN. • Signal vs noise • Emotion vs fact • Perception vs desire
43. @qahiccupps By the way, here’s a horrible workaround. Not likely! Could we access your system directly? Hmm. OK.
44. @qahiccupps TESTING SKILLS HELP … • Understand the mission • Be pragmatic • Know your tools
45. @qahiccupps … BUT IT’S DIFFERENT TOO • Know there’s an issue • Workaround vs diagnosis • Limited visibility
46. @qahiccupps I now have a working server … by changing the license end date from 31st October to 30th October. I have no idea why. Other things I tried included ...
47. @qahiccupps ENDING A CALL • What is a resolution? • Be careful about language: resolution for who? • Fix? Workaround? Questions for their side?
48. @qahiccupps AFTER A CALL • Retrospect • Debrief to your team • Remember that there is no the customer
49. @qahiccupps Here’s what it was … Here’s what I’ve got !!!?!?!!! !!!!!!! Feckin’ thing !!!!!! Yesssss!
51. @qahiccupps • Team • Skills • Learn
54. @qahiccupps Selected Credits • https://pixabay.com/en/mail-message-email-send-message-1454734/ • https://www.playmobil.co.uk/cowboy-with-wanted-poster/9083.html • https://www.playmobil.co.uk/western-family/6323.html • https://www.playmobil.co.uk/leader-of-the-lion-knights/6380.html • https://www.playmobil.co.uk/3-lion-knights/6379.html • https://www.playmobil.co.uk/fitness-room/5578.html • https://www.playmobil.co.uk/western-sheriff/6277.html • https://stmed.net/wallpaper-188972 • http://www.tumbleweedhldgs.com/ • https://twitter.com/Josef_Jaud/status/856873536471826432 • https://www.kisspng.com/png-hot-price-fire-sticker-png-clipart-image-29951/download-png.html • https://personalizedservicesinternational.com/home-based-travel-agent-program/conference-call/ • https://dejareviewer.com/2015/08/12/shall-we-play-a-game-lets-see-how-symmetrical-wargames-is/ • The Ministry of Testing