Published on February 20, 2014
Introduction How LAN’s Three Models Interrelate The Challenge of Managing Multiple Models Distinguishing Complements From Substitutes
Trying to operate more than one business model at a time • To expand new market • To make more efficient use of fixed asset and resources • To Develop new income Direct-Sell 2 Business model - DVD by mail - Streaming video services Flourishes by running 3 distinctly different operation at the same time
Latin American Network Airlines
Latin American Network Airlines
Full service international passenger-airline business model Cargo-Business Model No-frills passenger model
• Full service international passenger-airline Two classes • Coach Class Hot meals & beverages Multilingual personal-entertainment • Business Class Fully flat beds Boeing 787 Dreamliner
• Cargo business model Premium Service • Transports high-value products Salmon from Chile Asparagus from Peru Computer, Mobile phones from U.S. • Revenue 2011 Q2: 31% of total revenue
• No-frills passenger model Set out in 2007 Lower-cost Lower-overhead No Kitchen No meal & beverage E-Ticket
• Maximal use of physical assets Increased utilization of as costly as asset as aircraft Change from parking to delivery time • Reduction of the break-even load factor(BELF) Combining cargo and passenger operation • Diversification of revenues and profits Minimize risks • Reduce threat of entry by other airlines Increased the number of routes • One-stop shop for cargo in Latin America
“Why doesn’t every airline do what LAN does ?” History of LAN : • 1994 Chilean privatized LAN -> Cueto Family • Begun Cargo business with Fast air since 1970’s • Combine Cargo and Passenger service Profit potential of LAN international’s route • Wide body air craft • Reputation and reliability
• Additional complexity • Complex logistic system that coordinate with cargo and passengers. • Additional criterion to passenger fares. • Gives priority to carrying passengers. • Broader organizational skills • Require different sale, marketing, technical skills. • Extensively training its flight and maintenance crew
• Greater flexibility employee • Pilot fly even on two hours notice, more fly. • Instituting a performance-related pay and bonus. • Additional investments • Invest in warehouse for each country. • Regulatory constraint prevent non-national company. • Create series of separate company : LAN Peru, Ecuador, Colombia, Argentina. • Alliance in Mexico and several country.
Advantages using more than one business model • Decreasing the break-even load factor • Combining cargo and passengers • Flying to more places • Better services to passengers and increase customers • Using grow revenue provided by cargo operation • Increase barriers to entry • Flying to more places make other airline harder to enter and grow
Advantages using more than one business model • Increases barriers to imitation • Optimizing the use of aircraft and network of route • Increases switching costs • Leading passenger airline connecting from Latin America • One-stop shop for cargo in the region
When One Business Model Isn’t Enough ... Trying to operate more than one business model at a time is ... LAN Airlines has succeeded where ...
When one business Model Isn’t enough LAn Airlines ... airline business model with an air ... By combining cargo and passenger operations, ...
When One Business Model Isn’t Enough LAN Airlines flourishes by running three distinctly ... ments, using a particular business model for each one.
Trying to operate two business models at once often causes strategic failure. Yet LAN Airlines, ... When One Business Model Isn't Enough. Close.
Yet LAN Airlines, a Chilean carrier ... the implementation of multiple business models is not a risk but rather a new tool for ... "When One Business Model ...
When One Business Model Isn’t Enough: LAN Airlines. ... Tagged business model, harvard business review, lan airlines, ...
When One Business Model Isn't Enough (Harvard Business Review Article) Casadesus ... Yet LAN Airlines, a Chilean carrier, runs three models successfully.
Investigación > Publicaciones > When One Business Model Isn’t Enough LAN Airlines flourishes by running thre... Tipo
This article/post is from a third party website. The views expressed are that of the author. We at Capacity Building & Development may not ...