Published on March 14, 2016
1. Ian Dolphin - Executive Director - email@example.com Francisco Osorio - Flickr - https://www.flickr.com/photos/francisco_osorio/ - Attribution 2.0 Generic (CC BY 2.0) Apereo Africa - March 2016 What’s next for Apereo?
2. Agenda Apereo: where we are, and how we got there … An open platform for learning analytics A Next Generation Digital Learning Environment? Priorities 2
3. – Apereo Mission “…to help educational organizations collaborate to foster, develop, and sustain open technologies and innovation to support learning, teaching, and research.” – The Apereo Foundation is a non-profit [501(c)(3)] registered in New Jersey
4. Why Open-Source? Suitability Cost Control Collaborate to innovate 4 }‘Courant Report’ 4 1 Software and Collaboration in Higher Education - A Study of Open Source Software www.campussource.de/opensource/docs/OOSS_Report.pdf 1
5. Apereo: what we do … … for our software communities & communities of interest 1. Licensing and management of intellectual property 2. Technical & community infrastructure; events, lists etc. 3. Programs; Fellows, Teaching Innovation Awards 4. Banking, Accounting, Administration 5. Incubation; helping develop new communities Deliberately minimal - we want to save edu money, not remove it! 5
6. Apereo Foundation Non-profit entity - 501.c.3 (New Jersey) Membership organization. Elected Board of Directors (+ small number of appointees) Around 80 higher ed and commercial members worldwide Close partnership with ESUP-Portail in France. 150 Total. Constituent communities have significant autonomy - devolve decision making to those closest to the problem 6
7. How we see ourselves … Series of interrelated communities Key component of a broader network … part of an answer, not the answer
8. Francisco Osorio - Flickr - https://www.flickr.com/photos/francisco_osorio/ - Attribution 2.0 Generic (CC BY 2.0) Software Communities Bedework CAS Karuta Opencast Open Academic Environment Sakai Student Success Plan UniTime uPortal/uMobile Xerte EDexchange POET Learning Analytics Processor OpenDashboard OpenLRS Tsugi Framework 8
9. Francisco Osorio - Flickr - https://www.flickr.com/photos/francisco_osorio/ - Attribution 2.0 Generic (CC BY 2.0) Communities of Interest Purpose Teaching & Learning ePortfolio Learning Analytics Software Development Internationalisation Accessibility Security Licensing Geographical South Africa Netherlands Japan Spain (Europe) Sectoral K12 Federation 9
10. Analytics Emerging and complex area of research Analysing historical aggregate data to identify potential failure/success Distinction: Academic Analytics: system or organisation wide data Learner/ing Analytics: Actionable data about individuals Needs much greater faculty engagement 10
11. Continuum Prediction for intervention - Retention Prediction for Learning pathways Present Future
12. Apereo Learning Analytics Initiative - An Open Learning Analytics Platform Collection – Standards- based data capture from any potential source using Experience API and/or IMS Caliper/Sensor API Storage – Single repository for all learning-related data using Learning Record Store (LRS) standard. Analysis – Flexible Learning Analytics Processor (LAP) that can handle data mining, data processing (ETL), predictive model scoring and reporting. Communication – Dashboard technology for displaying LAP output. Action – LAP output can be fed into other systems to trigger alerts, etc. Learning Record Storage Summary and Results Communication Analysis Results Action Learning Data Analysis Learning Activities Collection Admin Systems xAPI [Caliper]OpenLRS LAPOpenDashboard SSP + Systemsn LMS/VLE Library? Academic Video? OER? xAPI [Caliper] Financial Aid
13. Why a platform-based approach? 13
14. Commercial-Proprietary Landscape Vendors are building capability into products … …Which then become“the solution” Closed and proprietary Products such as the VLE/LMS and SIS don’t“own”analytics Data required from across education landscape Library systems, media players… 14
15. Open Platform Neutral place to gather data Flexibility and choice for adopters Jisc Learner Record Store example Openness enables shared experience, understanding Open source software, open standards, open algorithms The future: analytics and learning systems 15
16. Learning Analytics Initiative Community of interest Open calls, events, hackathons, dissemination Open Source Software communities around components Apereo Incubation Process Partnership with SoLAR Adoption: Jisc 16
17. 17 Educause Learning Initiative: Next Generation Digital Learning Environment https://www.educause.edu/library/resources/next-generation-digital-learning-environment-ngdle http://tinyurl.com/hxrtzpp
18. 18"Blind monks examining an elephant", an ukiyo-e print by Hanabusa Itchō Reality Check
19. LMS Success 99% US Institutions have at least 1 LMS 85% of Faculty use it 74% say it is a useful tool 83% of students use it 41% Faculty - promote out of classroom activity 15% of institutions plan to change it in 3 yrs 19
20. Why the Challenge to the LMS Course-centred Teacher-centred Inflexible. Tends to be“one size fits all”. 20
21. Replacement? Key areas from the Educause panel discussions - Interoperability as a key enabler Analytics, assessment and advising (LMS largest source of analytics data) Personalisation Accessibility (not as an add-on, but designed in) Diﬀerent forms of collaboration - not simply“courses” Participant: NGDLE will include LMS, but go beyond it 21
22. BUT: Conversation reflecting silos 22 Small point about empowerment: Personalisation and Customization Learning and teaching, or holistic view of academic practice. What about research? (“Research informed teaching”anyone?) What constitutes learning technology? Library and electronic resource integration Collaboration outside the institution/ between institutions
23. How might we realise the vision? Technology: I don’t have to channel Dr Chuck, because he’s here … LTI, tool interoperability App store interoperability Don’t think of this as a single application And I’ll leave Dr Chuck to say more about that… 23
24. Critical Role of Open Source • Keeping market honest. An alternative. • Interoperability: demonstrators and reference models for open standards • Will the commercial-proprietary vendors unlock their environments? • History of LTI
25. Communities sustain open source
26. Diverse communities innovate… • [book covers]
27. Francisco Osorio - Flickr - https://www.flickr.com/photos/francisco_osorio/ - Attribution 2.0 Generic (CC BY 2.0) Software Communities 27 Bedework CAS Karuta Opencast Open Academic Environment Sakai Student Success Plan UniTime uPortal/uMobile Xerte EDexchange POET Learning Analytics Processor OpenDashboard OpenLRS Tsugi Framework
28. Francisco Osorio - Flickr - https://www.flickr.com/photos/francisco_osorio/ - Attribution 2.0 Generic (CC BY 2.0) Communities of Interest Purpose Teaching & Learning ePortfolio Learning Analytics Software Development Internationalization Accessibility Security Licensing Geographical South Africa Netherlands Japan Spain (Europe) Sectoral K12 Federation 28
29. We are not building a suite
30. Priorities Encourage community inter-connection and dialogue That takes resource. Ultimately funding. We persuade. We do not mandate. We are not a“top down”organisation. Membership is one way of contributing. And there’ll be a focus on this topic at … 30
... the Sakai Foundation and Jasig. ... The mission of Apereo is to help educational organizations “collaborate to foster, develop, ...
What's new with Karuta? ... Join us on Wednesday, January 20, at 12 noon EST for "What's new with Karuta?" Apereo ... What's new with Karuta? The next ...
Apereo Newsletter December 20, 2013 ... Apereo has always been about people coming together to share and learn in an open ... What's Needed?
The ESUP-Portail Consortium and the Apereo Foundation are pleased to invite you to the third edition of the ESUP-Days/Apereo Europe event.
What’s new Available Gadgets ... Ideas and Thoughts About the Next Generation Clearinghouse and Infrastructure Services; ... Apereo Jasig Fellows Award;
Apereo. EGI. Pictures of Niels van Dijk. Read more about Increased global interest in OpenConext; Log in to post comments; Follow us on Twitter This work ...
The Apereo Foundation. 173 likes · 5 talking about this. Fostering, developing, and sustaining open technologies and innovation to support learning,...
... communities, and projects that are part of the Apereo Foundation. Skip navigation ... The Open Apereo Conference is designed to ... Play next; Play ...
Our weekly Apereo and Sakai teaching and learning call, ... Up next Karuta ePortfolio ... what's new?... - Duration: ...