Published on July 8, 2016
1. What is currently being done in the academy? Making research useful via visualisa1on: The case for be6er visualisa1on and challenges in producing it Simon Walton Alﬁe Abdul-Rahman Oxford e-Research Centre University of Oxford
2. Glyph Design for Workflow Visualization E. Maguire, et al, “Taxonomy-based glyph design -- with a case study on visualizing workflows of biological experiments,” IEEE TVCG, 18(12):2603-2612, 2012.
3. Glyph-based Workflow Visualization
4. How to display many measurements at the same time? Duffy et al., “Glyph-based video visualization for semen analysis,” to appear in IEEE TVCG, 2014
5. How much information can glyphs encode? VSL: Straight Line Velocity (radius and colour) VAP: Average Path Velocity (radius) VCL: Curvilinear Velocity (radius) LIN*: VSL/VCL WOB*: VAP/VCL STR*: VSL/VAP ALH: Amplitude of Lateral Head Displacement (length) BCF: Beat-Cross Frequency (length/circumference) MAD: Mean Angular Displacement (angle) SLD: Straight Line DirecRon (shape orientaRon) HP: Head PosiRon (center posiRon) HW: Head Width (shape width) HL: Head Length (shape length) HR: Head RotaRon (shape orientaRon) Uncertainty (colour) FTA: Total Projected Arclength of Filament FCA: Change-in-Angle of Filament FTT: Total Torque of Filament (thickness) FAS: Asymmetry of Filament (angular displacement) V0: Zero Velocity (ﬁxed radius)
6. Can we see time (video) without using time (animation)? Duffy et al., “Glyph-based video visualization for semen analysis,” to appear in IEEE TVCG, 2014
7. n Nigel Holmes, 1984 n Edward Tufte, 2001 n Scott Bateman et al. 2010 n Stephen Few, 2011a l “At best we can treat the findings as suggestive of what might be true, but not conclusive.” n Jessica Hullman et al. 2011 n Stephen Few, 2011b l “If they’re wrong, however, which indeed they are, their claim could do great harm.” n Rita Borgo, et al. 2012 n Michelle, et al. 2013 The Chart-Junk Debate
8. n Positive impact on memory n Negative impact on visual search n Likely positive impact on concept grasping Visual Embellishment Borgo et al., TVCG, 2012
9. n Supporting close reading Poetry Visualization (with Utah) Abdul-Rahman, et al., Rule-based visual mappings - with a case study on poetry visualization, CGF, 2013
10. Visual Analysis for Poetry Abdul-Rahman, et al., Comparing Three Designs of Macro-Glyphs for Poetry Visualization, Proceedings of EuroVis 2014, Short paper, 2014 To try out, please go to: http://www.ovii.org/PoemVis/
11. Visualization in Oxford
What is Being Done to ... There is currently a reintroduction plan being put together ... the local NGO ISUNR, and the Russian Academy of Sciences ...
Now that you know why acid rain is a problem, you might be wondering what’s being done to control it.
What’s Being Done in the U.S. ... Members of MGGRA are not currently pursuing their greenhouse gas goals through the Accord.
How would you like me to do 90% of the work for you with Publish Academy? ... Publish Academy Review and Live ... out how 90% of the work can be done for ...
What is being done to help endangered marsupials? In Australia, ... Some of the things being done include research, habitat protection, breeding, ...
School Safety: What's Being Done and Where Is ... What are schools currently doing do address ... to students who are repeatedly being disruptive and ...
Nothing is currently being done to slow the progression. No states are enacting laws that require Medicaid patients to get primary care physicians, ...
The first 9 weeks of the Academy is dedicated to ... Spurs can mean the difference between getting your job done well ... while classes are not being ...
What does it mean to be an academy ... Currently, 2,075 out of 3,381 ... have been invited to convert to academy status, with priority being ...