Published on July 8, 2016
1. Building a Business Case for Virtual SAN Madelyn Grunewald, VMware, Inc Jordan Glamann, Dominos Pizza Rafael Kabesa, VMware, Inc STO5887 #STO5887
2. • This presentation may contain product features that are currently under development. • This overview of new technology represents no commitment from VMware to deliver these features in any generally available product. • Features are subject to change, and must not be included in contracts, purchase orders, or sales agreements of any kind. • Technical feasibility and market demand will affect final delivery. • Pricing and packaging for any new technologies or features discussed or presented have not been determined. Disclaimer CONFIDENTIAL 2
3. Agenda 1 Virtual SAN Overview and Customer Introduction 2 What‘s Important for HCI Customers Choice, Integration, Cost & Performance Storage Costs Deep Dive VSAN Assessment Live Demo 3 Additional Resources 3
4. Virtual SAN Overview and Customer Introduction 4
5. VMware Virtual SAN: Radically Simple Storage 5 Hyper-Converged Storage Designed for Virtual Machines vSphere + Virtual SAN … • Resource efficient hyperconverged solution • Enterprise-level availability, scalability and performance on standard x86 servers • Richest set of deployment options • Deeply integrated with the VMware stack • All-flash and hybrid configurations • Scales from 2 to 64 nodes • Policy-based SLA automation Overview Hard disksSSD Hard disks SSD Hard disks SSD Virtual SAN Datastore
6. Virtual SAN Takes Hyper-converged Architecture to a New Level 6 Typical Hyper-Converged Solution VMware Virtual SAN Storage VM vSphere vSphere + Virtual SAN Efficiency of a Single Software Stack Simplicity of Native Integration Flexibility of Hardware Agnostic vSphere ClientvSphere Client Third Party APIs Pre-Defined 2x CPU efficiency 3x memory efficiency Native vMotion Native DRS Single pane glass Latest hardware Form factors
7. Why Customers Love Virtual SAN? CHOICE Choose preferred vendor Meet exact needs, no waste SIMPLICITY 2-click provisioning Integrated workflows Policy-driven management COST 50% TCO savings Simple to operate and learn $ 3 PERFORMANCE AND SCALABILITY 1.5 - 5x faster than competitors Predictable, elastic scaling
8. Dominos VSAN Business Case Jordan Glamann Virtualization and Compute Engineer
9. 9 Dominos Pizza Overview • Over 12,000 stores in over 80 markets • On average we sell more than 1.5 million pizzas each day globally • 2014 global retail sales: $8.9 billion (4.1 domestic and 4.8 international) • Run Rate of $4 Billion Annually in Global Digital Sales
10. 10 Technology Company? • Technology company that happens to sell pizza • Consistently within the top three for overall Ecomm sales • 50% of US sales came from digital channels by the end of 2014 • *New* Domino’s AnyWare™ platform – Ford SYNC® – Samsung Smart TVs® – Pebble and Android™ Wear smartwatches – Voice ordering via Dom for iPhone® and Android™ – “Tweet-to-order” and “text-to-order” via emoji now available in the U.S.
11. 11 Global Online Ordering (GOLO) Requirements • New Datacenter in Germany to handle online ordering for African and Middle Eastern markets • Small footprint to start but need to be able to scale and grow quickly • Built on same platform/code base as US and Canada OLO – Would like to leverage similar technologies that we know work (i.e. VMware, Cisco UCS, etc) • Smaller budget for the compute and storage components because of the need for network gear (i.e. Firewalls, Load Balancers, Switches, etc.) • Need acceptable storage performance because of SQL Databases
12. Building the Business Case for HCI & Virtual SAN 12
13. What’s really important to hyperconverged customers? Choice • Hardware-agnostic • Choose preferred vendor • Use existing processes 13 Performance • Meet any app demand • Do more with less • Predictable, linear scaling Integration • One software stack • One vendor & support • Integrated workflows Cost • Low upfront, operational costs • Affordable scaling • Meet exact needs, no waste 1 $
14. Learn more at VMworld: What’s really important to hyperconverged customers? Choice 14 Performance • STO4949 Extreme Performance Series: Virtual SAN Performance Deep-Dive • STO5920 Considerations for Virtual SAN Running Business Critical Applications • STO4544 Using Virtual SAN to Maximize Database Performance Integration Cost 1 $ • STO5947 Virtual SAN Operations Management Using vRealize Operations • EUC4509 Architecting Horizon for Virtual SAN, the VCDX way • This session! • STO4820 Virtual SAN Hardware Guidance & Sizing • SDDC5273-S VMware Hyper-Converged Infrastructure: From vSAN to EVO:RAIL and EVO:RACK
15. Costs Deep Dive Building the Business Case for HCI & Virtual SAN 15
16. 48% 10% 22% 2% 5% 3% 10% Hardware Software Personnel Connectivity Facilities Disaster Recovery Unallocated What’s Driving The Cost of Storage? CAPEX is only half of the TCO equation for Storage Source: Gartner – IT Key Metrics Data 2015 40% of Annual Storage Costs are OPEX-related $0 $20,000 $40,000 $60,000 $80,000 $100,000 $120,000 $140,000 $160,000 Year 1 Year 2 Year 3 Year 4 CAPEX OPEX OPEX is 2x larger than CAPEX over a four year period Source: Estimated using Gartner CP Profiles Database and IT Key Metrics Data 2014 Report 16
17. Server-side Economics 17 Server components (Hardware) competitively priced vs. Traditional External Arrays (Hardware + Software) Flash (SSDs) Magnetic Disk (HDDs) Networking Source: Gartner Competitive Profiles & Vendors/Resellers public website prices Up to 91% Up to 70%* *10GbE vs. FC *$/GB refers to disk prices raw GB only Up to 80% Traditional External Array Server Storage $0.49/GB* $0.10/GB $22.48/GB* $1.85/GB $1235/Port $364/Port
18. Riding The Declining Cost Curve 18 • Spread your purchases to benefit from declining prices • Grow Storage along with Compute • Take advantage of new hardware technologies coming to market $0.00 $2.00 $4.00 $6.00 $8.00 $10.00 $12.00 $14.00 2006 2008 2010 2012 2014 2016 2018 $/GB Global Storage Cost Trend Source: KPCB “State of the Internet”
19. Low Upfront Investment & Granular Scaling 19 Source: Gartner Competitive Profiles & Vendors/Resellers public website prices * VSAN prices include storage costs and software license in street pricing * Hybrid array is all inclusive with current estimated street pricing $1.60 $1.42 $1.45 $6.7 $5.0 $4.0 $0 $1 $2 $3 $4 $5 $6 $7 YEAR 1 YEAR 2 YEAR 3 VSAN $/GB Hybrid Array $/GB $10,000 Year 2 $9,000 Year 1 $22,000 Year 3Year 1 $100,000 Hybrid Array Virtual SAN Total $41,000 Effective $/GB Paid for Utilized Capacity Traditional Upfront Storage vs. Granular Scale-Out
20. Performance Comparison - $/IOPS Critical Metric 20 61,606 32,742 38,128 VSAN 6 Hybrid Other HCI Popular Hybrid Array IOPS OLTP Test done by customer $0.69 $3.77 $2.45 $/IOPS VSAN 6 Hybrid Other HCI Popular Hybrid Array
21. Virtual SAN Reduces Administration Overhead and Power Consumption 21 Most Impactful Areas of Administration Deployment 95% Service Class Reconfiguration 98% Scale Capacity 97% Plan Service Levels for App deployment or change 95% Reclassify set of workloads 93% How Much Can You Save on Operations?Time Savings* *Source: The Taneja Group It’s less than a 1/10 of what I have to do on my traditional storage array.. …managing Virtual SAN is kind of an oxymoron 80% Power & Cooling Savings 66% Labor Cost Savings Overall 50% OPEX Savings Over a 5-year Period: On a 20TB typical deployment: $175K* • VSAN HW includes SSDs and HDDs only, since compute required on both sides • Labor savings based on Taneja Group report, July 2014 • Power and Cooling savings, based on internal research, May 2014
22. Virtual SAN - More Performance for 50% Less CapEx 22 HW SW Support$96,387 $14,494 $23,952 $38,555 $29,940 Hybrid Array Virtual SAN Hybrid Array -49% $68,386 $134,942 • VSAN HW includes SSDs and HDDs only, since compute required on both sides • Hybrid array support is estimated at 20% of list for 3-years 24x7 • Estimated required 54K IOPS for normal operation on array after RAID penalty – 70R/30W • Estimated VSAN performance: 128,000 IOPS – based on HY-6 series ready nodes 200 VMs 24TB usable HW + SW $73,114 $27,229 $11,976 $27,637 $8,982 Hyper converged appliance Virtual SAN Hyper-Converged Appliance -52% $48,187 $100,751 • street assumed @50% • Comparable VSAN hardware configuration created on SuperMicro reseller website: www.thinkmate.com – see notes for spec - no discount assumed on top of online provided price • Aupport includes Hardware + Software support, VSAN support is 3yr production SnS only while HW price includes HW support – 3yr NBD onsite service HW + SW
23. Lowest All Flash $/Desktop 23 $0 $50 $100 $150 $200 $250 $300 $350 $400 1000 1500 2000 2500 3000 3500 4000 4500 5000 5500 6000 StorageCostPerDesktop Number of Desktops $/VDI Storage Cost VSAN + View Adv/Ent Virtual SAN All Flash Array Spikes correspond to scaling out due to IOPs requirements VSAN is included with Horizon View Advanced/Enterprise VSAN enables predictable linear scaling • Compared to external storage at scale • Estimated based on 2015 street pricing, Capex (includes storage hardware + Software License costs) • Linked clones scenario assuming 70% space savings as a result for VSAN – x6 dedupe ratio for storage array • Virtual SAN configuration: 8 VMs per core, with 40GB per VM, 2 copies for availability and 10% SSD for write caching
24. Virtual SAN Assessment Demo 24
25. 3. [Customer] Receive Email, Confirm Account 25
26. 3. [Customer] Receive Email, Confirm Account 26
27. 4. [Customer] Download the Collector Appliance 27
28. 4. [Customer] Download the Collector Appliance 28
29. 4. [Customer] Deploy OVF file CONFIDENTIAL 29
30. 5. [Customer] Configure the Collector Appliance 30 • Browse to the Collector VM • Enter Assessment Key (available off the Portal)
31. 5. [Customer] Configure the Collector Appliance CONFIDENTIAL 31 Choose to Analyze • An Entire Cluster (Transient VM Case) or • Select VMs Across Clusters (Static VM Case)
32. 5. [Customer] Configure Collection Duration 32
33. 5. [Customer] Configure the Collector Appliance 33 Enter vCenter Details
34. Collector Appliance Configuration Completed and Data Collection Begins 34
35. 35 Live Demo..
36. Customer Case Study 36 Jordan Glamann - Compute and Virtualization Engineer, Dominos Pizza
37. 37 How It Came to Be • Did a POC of Virtual SAN configuration that would work for us • Compared Virtual SAN vs Smaller Traditional Style Array • Cost was a big factor – Virtual SAN configuration roughly 40% less in our case • Traditional Style Array had more costs – Support/Maintenance Costs – Require SAN fabric to support multiple hosts (SAN switches/port costs, etc) – Did not have performance that we were looking for. • Pros for VSAN configuration – Flexible/Scalable – Incorporated Hardware (host) and storage cost – Works with technologies that we know (VMware and Cisco UCS) – Very easy to install (Non-SAN Admin could do it) – No storage array and switches = less power and rack space (important in a co-location datacenter)
38. 38 3 Live Markets Portugal South Africa Saudi Arabia Egypt Lebanon Jordan Bahrain Coming Soon…
39. 39 GOLO Stats • Installed in January and has been in Prod since May • Over 300 stores by the end of 2015 with many more markets planned for next year. • Portugal currently the heaviest user – Portugal Day 1: 25% Digital – Portugal Averaging 15% - 17% digital since then • Performance has been good. Haven’t been able to push system to the limits with the current workload. – https://blogs.vmware.com/storage/2015/08/03/storagereview-com-vsan-series/
40. SIMPLE INNOVATIVE SCALABLE/ PERFORMANCE - Easy to Install/Manage - Built in Hypervisor - Easy to Grow without Downtime - Adding Nodes=More Performance - Software Defined Datacenter - Fits Dominos Model Conclusion 40
41. 41 vSphere + Virtual SAN … Hard disksSSD Hard disks SSD Hard disks SSD SMB & NFS Exclusive Promotion From Nexenta to New Virtual SAN Customers Get NexentaConnect for FREE! Download Now! Nexenta.com/VSANpromo NexentaConnect provides file Services from Virtual SAN to physical or Virtual Environments
42. Help Us Test Space Efficiency and Data Integrity 42 Beta • Get a glimpse of Virtual SAN’s future • Free, limited beta – will not be able to accommodate all registrations vmware.com/go/vsan6beta
43. World’s 1st 64-Node, All-Flash Array with Virtual SAN and NVMe 43 See VMware Virtual SAN live and at scale in the HCI Zone! 4.2M IOPS 500 Terabytes 64 Nodes Where: HCI Zone When: Expo Hours Sponsor: Intel 6,400 VMs
44. Three Ways to Get Started with Virtual SAN Today 44 VSAN Assessment32Download Evaluation Online Hands-on Lab1 • Test-drive Virtual SAN right from your browser—with an instant Hands-on Lab • Register and your free, self-paced lab is up and running in minutes • 60-day Free Virtual SAN Evaluation • VMUG members get a 6- month EVAL or 1-year EVALExperience for $200 • Reach out to your VMware Partner, SEs or Rep for a FREE VSAN Assessment • Results in just 1 week! • The VSAN Assessment tool collects and analyzes data from your vSphere storage environment and provides technical and business recommendations. Learn more… vmware.com/go/virtual-san • Virtual SAN Product Overview Video • Virtual SAN Datasheet • Virtual SAN Customer References • Virtual SAN Assessment • VMware Storage Blog • @vmwarevsan vmware.com/go/try-vsan-en vmware.com/go/try-vsan-en
45. Building a Business Case for Virtual SAN Madelyn Grunewald, VMware, Inc Jordan Glamann, Dominos Pizza Rafael Kabesa, VMware, Inc STO5887 #STO5887
VMworld 2015: STO5887 - Building a Business Case for Virtual SAN ... VMworld 2015: STO4474 - Networking Virtual SAN's Backbone - Duration: ...
... STO4572 - Conducting a Successful Virtual SAN ... VMworld 2014: STO1279 - Virtual SAN ... VMworld 2015: STO5887 - Building a Business Case ...
Playlist with 26 VMworld 2015 Sessions Available On YouTube. ... HBC4849 vCloud Air 2015 ... STO5887 Building a Business Case for Virtual SAN;
VMworld 2015: STO5887 – Building a Business Case for Virtual SAN; VMworld 2015: STO4572 ... ESX Virtualization.
Business/Sales Cloud Services ... View Virtual SAN Virtual Volumes ... Agenda VMworld 2015 session ...
VMworld Returns To Las Vegas Register For The Latest Information. VMworld 2016 Europe. Barcelona | Fira Gran Via Register For The Latest Information. Register;
... mad rush to VMworld 2015 in San Francisco! ... Building a Stretched Cluster with Virtual SAN; ... It is the yang to the business/strategy ying of the ...
... Storage and Business Continuity ... View Virtual SAN Virtual Volumes ... VMworld 2015 Europe Content ...
Direct video links to VMworld 2015 US sessions. Posted on 09/21/2015 by William Lam. ... STO5887 - Building a Business Case for Virtual SAN: STO5888 ...