Published on October 23, 2009
1. Utilizing Library Space for Learning Opportunities
Associate Dean for Public Services
Assistant Dean for Administrative Services
University of North Carolina at Greensboro
2. Jackson Library - UNCG
3. Developing Learning Spaces Environmental Scan Assessment of how students use space Assessment of what students need Changes and updates Renovation process and planning Challenges of developing and protecting learning spaces in the facility
4. Status of Space Situation Library consists of 3 story main building built in 1950 and a 9 story book tower added in 1970’s 131,705 sq ft of space at capacity Seating for 849 reduced by 50% last 5 years Collection runs full, incoming acquisitions outpacing withdrawals Student requests are for group study areas with tools for collaborative work Quality of instruction affected by small space
5. Updating and Improving Space Information Commons Group floors/quiet floors Collaboratories 24/5 space Food/drink allowed Connector in 2006
6. Changes in Learning/Studying Active vs. Reflective Group vs. Individual Technology Enhancements Environmental influence Access to resources
7. Needs for Future Learning Opportunities Create a larger instruction lab Expand collaboratories and group spaces Develop a Learning Commons Expand service areas to include newsroom, in-house vending, expanded copy center Expand Archives space Reduce and relocate Government Documents Reduce size of Reference collection
8. First Assess! Objective view of space attributes and abilities matched to requested needs Considered adjacencies, traffic flow, accessibility, functions and use of space Programming expressed in user’s voice based on experience and tasks Schematic design put concepts into visual format for better understanding Addressed the price of re-purposing
9. Why assess? Gain hard data to present to consultant for programming ideas related to renovations Gain data on how students’ satisfaction and use of the building Gain data to present to University Administration for funding requests Consider changes to technology policies and actions to library space Determine future needs
10. Changes in Functionality SuperLab – needed for convenience 11. Wireless – highly used, but need more space 12. Instruction – class and individual, grown significantly but needs more space 13. Food and Drink – keeps students in library to work 14. Increase in student population (16% over last 5 years) – natural facility on campus to feel the increase 15. Increase in higher degree level research needs
SuperLab – needed for convenience
11. Wireless – highly used, but need more space
12. Instruction – class and individual, grown significantly but needs more space
13. Food and Drink – keeps students in library to work
14. Increase in student population (16% over last 5 years) – natural facility on campus to feel the increase
15. Increase in higher degree level research needs
Presentación que realice en el Evento Nacional de Gobierno Abierto, realizado los ...
In this presentation we will describe our experience developing with a highly dyna...
Presentation to the LITA Forum 7th November 2014 Albuquerque, NM
Un recorrido por los cambios que nos generará el wearabletech en el futuro
Um paralelo entre as novidades & mercado em Wearable Computing e Tecnologias Assis...
... volunteer opportunities, ... session not only for learning about the holdings of ... still in the library. Why? Is library space unique ...
1. Utilizing Library Space for Learning Opportunities Kathy Crowe Associate Dean for Public Services Mike Crumpton Assistant Dean for Administrative Services
View 9169 Learning Opportunities posts, presentations, experts, and more. ... Community Support Coach at Learning... Education Angelo State University, ...
Home; Documents; Opportunities for Utilizing Mobile Learning Services in the Palestinian Higher Education Dr. Naji Shukri Alzaza najishukri.wordpress.com.
The Potential and Possibilities for Utilizing ... and opportunities to ... addressed the concept of the school library as a space for learning due to ...
MCC at Do Space. Together with our ... utilizing the second floor of Do Space. ... active learning opportunities are offered for all types of learners, ...
... but facilitating learning and knowledge creation. The library is ... space designed to facilitate learning, ... long learning opportunities ...
The webinar topic is “Utilizing Partnerships to Expand Professional Development Opportunities ... and the link to the online meeting space, ...