Published on March 13, 2014
Tel: +91-22-26860485/6 Web: www.barrierbreak.com Email: email@example.com Understanding Accessible Media
• Websites are changing from using text and images to using Audio-Video Content • Some areas where we are using different types of media: – Education – News – Information – Entertainment – Healthcare How are we using Media Today?
BUT IS AUDIO-VIDEO CONTENT ACCESSIBLE BY ALL?
• Today people who are: – Visually impaired – Hearing impaired – Learning impaired – Elderly – Using English as a Foreign Language Face challenges in accessing media beyond text. Media which is using audio-video content. Target Audiences
• An educational video for teaching students • Feature films • Musicals • Nature Documentaries • Sport and Live Events • News • Children’s Programs • Advertisements / Programme Trailers / Product Placement Which type of Media can be made Accessible?
• Text transcripts • Captions • Sign language • Audio Description How can we make Media Accessible?
• Describes the audio of a video • Displayed on : – Same webpage – Separate File (Text file, Microsoft Word document, Pdf or provide it on a separate web page) Text transcripts
• Textual description of the audio displayed at the bottom of the screen • Synchronized the captions with audio / video • Often captions mistaken as subtitles • Localized Captions Captions
• Closed Captions – Displayed as CC – Appear on user request • Open captions – Always visible – Blocks the view Types of captions
Captions – Screen shot
Captions – Screen shot
• Universal language for people with hearing impairment. • Separate Sign Language video track is added in the original video. • Different across the regions. • Anything expressed in spoken language can be expressed in sign language as well. Sign language
Sign language – Screen shot
• Narration of the video • Added between 2 dialogues • Audio description draws attention to the key visual elements • Helps people with visual impairment • Audio described movies Audio description
Audio described Bollywood movies
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Office: +91 (22) 2686 0485-87 +91 (22) 2686 0489-90 Where to Contact Me?
Accessibility Understanding SAMI 1.0. ... Microsoft Synchronized Accessible Media ... Developing SAMI documents requires an understanding of the ...
Alternatives for time-based media that are text based make information accessible because text can ... See also Understanding Success Criterion 1.2.9 ...
Intent of this Success Criterion ... Non-text content that is time-based media is made accessible ... or who are having trouble understanding audio ...
Memorandum of Understanding between Accessible Media Inc. and The Alliance for Equality of Blind Canadians
Article | McKinsey Quarterly Understanding social media in China The world’s largest social-media market is vastly different from its counterpart in the ...
Understanding borderline personality disorder Borderline personality disorder (BPD) is a controversial diagnosis, but some useful work has been done in ...
Evisible Integrated Media Ltd. ... based on our professional knowledge and understanding of web ... your web site is accessible and whether an ...
7 Chapter 1 Understanding disability bringing their children with disabilities for vaccination and rehabilitation (43). The diversity of disability
WGBH's Media Access Group makes media accessible to all. For more than 40 years, the Media Access Group at WGBH has been providing accessible media ...