Published on October 22, 2014
1. DDS Ulstein Power & Control For the RTI ConnextConference in London
2. Rune Volden •R&D Manager Ulstein Power & Control –Develop and maintain Automation & Control products and platform –The company sells packages and products in the maritime industry, with a main focus on Offshore Supply Vessels –We sell system integration and products –This ranges from Power switchboards, ship automation, bridge and navigation equipment
3. Main topic of interest •This presentationis to address our challenges to make a configure to order control system architecture, which lasts for the lifetime of the ship © 2014 Real-Time Innovations, Inc.
4. Challenges •Standards and second source •Responsibility and liability •Legacy products, SCADA system, components, code, old Windows versions •Retrofit code on new platforms •In-house competence vs hiring •Open source vs proprietary •Scalability •Vulnerability © 2014 Real-Time Innovations, Inc.
5. Bridge Alarm System
6. Integrated Automation System
7. Software Technology •Linux Ubuntu •C++11 •DDS (RTI) for communication between GUI and Controller •CDP (Control Distributed Platform from ICD AS) –Framework for control system with scheduler, messaging –Components with signals, alarms, parameters and timers –Network based routing –Runtime configuration based on XML –Configurator •Qt/QML for Graphical User Interface © 2014 Real-Time Innovations, Inc.
8. Hardware Technology •Marine approved electronics •IEC 60945, Marine Equipment Directive •Few vendors and low volume hardware with limited options and high cost •All components are COTS (Commercial off the shelf) © 2014 Real-Time Innovations, Inc.
9. CDP IO Server CDP Engine CDP Messaging CDP CustomComponents DDS GUI Data DDS IO Server CDP Engine DDS Messaging CDP CustomComponents DDS GUI Data TODAY CDP + DDS Com DDS IO Server CDP Engine CDP Messaging CDP CustomComponents DDS GUI Data CDP + DDS IO Reducedcomplexity Increaseddata availability Separationofresponsibility Reuseofexistingcode Reducedcomplexity Increasedperformance Increaseddata availability Extracoding Increasedreliablityand control Architecture Migration
10. WAGO BC WagoFirmware Codesysapp ModBusUDP GUI PC Linux QT app QML Functionality DDS API WAGO IO WagoIO Modules CDP IO Server managedata trafficbetweencontrollerapplicationand BC CONTROLLER PC Linux CDP app ModBusUDP IO Functionality Redundancy CDP Messaging DDS API CONTROLLER PC Linux CDP app ModBusUDP IO Functionality Redundancy CDP Messaging DDS API CDP Messaging managedata trafficbetweencontrollersrunningCDP DDS managedata trafficbetweencontrollerand GUI Architecture Today
11. Bus Coupler(BC) Linux BC app DDS API GUI PC Linux QT app QML Functionality DDS API IO IO Modules DDS managedata trafficbetweencontrollerapplicationand BC CONTROLLER PC Linux CDP app Functionality Redundancy DDS API DDS managedata trafficbetweencontrollerapplicationand BC CONTROLLER PC Linux CDP app Functionality Redundancy DDS API Possibilityto communicatedirectlybetweenGUI PC and BC directly Cleancutsignal interface. IO vendoris responsibleto publishand subscribeIO data via DDS DDS Cloud •Availability •Redundancy •Scaleable •Establishedstandard •Vendorindependence •Inhouseexperience DDS managedata trafficbetweencontrollersrunningCDP DDS + CDP
12. Bus Coupler(BC) Linux BC app DDS API GUI PC Linux QT app QML Functionality DDS API IO IO Modules DDS managedata trafficbetweencontrollerapplicationand BC CONTROLLER PC Linux UCM / Open framework Functionality DDS API DDS managedata trafficbetweencontrollerapplicationand BC CONTROLLER PC Linux UCM /Open framework Functionality DDS API Possibilityto communicatedirectlybetweenGUI PC and BC directly Cleancutsignal interface. IO vendoris responsibleto publishand subscribeIO data via DDS DDS Cloud •Availability •Redundancy •Scaleable •Establishedstandard •Vendorindependence •Inhouseexperience DDS managedata trafficbetweencontrollersrunningCDP THE NEXT STEP ??
13. IO BC 1..n Pc/ Controller pairs Switch USA Linux CDP Control App Analog Digital Serial (All) Config CodeSys Proxy App USA •Configurable •Scalable •Modularised •Marine approval •IEC 60945 •Standards •Link redundancy •Hwindependence •Type approved Bus coupler/ gateway: -ModBusdecoding& encoding(CodeSysproxy) betweenserialcards(CANBus, NMEA, ModBusRTU) & ModBusUDP onEthernet -Pros: -Seamlesssignal conversion -Cons: -Furtherdevelopment(otherserialprotocolls) & maintenanceofCodeSysproxy -Throughputand performance -OwnershipofCodeSysproxy -Limited numberofsocketsper IO card Network traffic -ModBusUDP onEthernet Open Bus Architecture -General -ModBusUDP openstandard for data trafficonethernet -Transparent UDP ModBusdata -Readabledata onall processlevels -SpecialisedCodeSysappl, longdeliverytime (1 year) -Conceptinvolvesresearch -Serial signal encoding& decoding -Lowlevelprocessingofdata -Sharedresponsibility, betweeenWago, ICD & UPC IASMKII–OPEN BUS ARCHITECTURE Controller application(CDP IO Server) -ModBusencoding& decoding -Serial signal handling & signal conversion
14. IO BC 1..n Pc/ Controller pairs Switch USA Linux Control App Analog Digital Serial (All) Config Bus coupler/ gateway: -Application for convertinghardwired& serialsignals (CANBus, NMEA, ModBusRTU) to and from DDS -Pros: -All signal decoding& encodingtakesplacein BC -Cons -Proxy applicationhas to be developed, by subsupplier? Network traffic -DDS ontheEthernet DDS Network Architecture -General -DDS for all data trafficbetweencontrollerand otherdevices -DDS is a «Sky» concept, supports «Internetofthings» -Less CPU loadoncontroller -Faster system -No networkprotocolhandling, DDS takescareofall networktraffic -Data is distributedand availableeverywhere -DDS givesmore reliable data collection, providesmore redundancy IASMKII–DDS NETWORKARCHITECTURE Controller application(CDP IO Server) -DDS readyto usesignal data Linux Config DDS Proxy App DDS
15. Comingthisyear… •Projects withIO vendorslike Wagoand Phoenix Q4 2014 •DDS is becominga solutionfor Industrial Ethernet
16. Thankyou! •Pleasecontactmeat –Rune.email@example.com
Presentación que realice en el Evento Nacional de Gobierno Abierto, realizado los ...
In this presentation we will describe our experience developing with a highly dyna...
Presentation to the LITA Forum 7th November 2014 Albuquerque, NM
Un recorrido por los cambios que nos generará el wearabletech en el futuro
Um paralelo entre as novidades & mercado em Wearable Computing e Tecnologias Assis...
In 2015, Ulstein Group recorded revenues of NOK 2.3 billion and an operating loss of NOK -95 million. The business areas Design & Solutions and Power ...
We offer complete system solutions for electronics, automation and power control, securing smart integration of individual systems in vessels built world-wide.
Ulstein Power And Control AS Shipping & Marine Supplier Norway, Ulsteinvik Up to date Marine Supply information for the Shipping Industry - ShipServ Pages
Board Chairman: Gunvor Ulstein Tore Ulstein Board Members: Johannes Bø Hans Petter Hildre
Ulstein’s Power & Control area has been awarded the pre-commissioning contracts for all four PX121 designed PSVs under construction at SWS Offshore for ...
Here are the top 8 Service Engineer Ulstein Power & Control profiles on LinkedIn. Get all the articles, experts, jobs, and insights you need.
Ulstein Power & Control has signed a comprehensive contract for supply of equipment packages to yard number 295 at Ulstein Verft. The vessel is an offshore ...
Ulstein Power & Control announced it has been contracted by Chinese shipbuilder AVIC Weihai Shipyard Co. Ltd. to deliver power and control for two subsea ...
Ulstein Power & Control offers bridge instrumentation ... Ulstein designs. Ulstein Group AS has a long history of a variety of ship construction.
June 9, 2010. New MD at Ulstein Power & Control. Gunnar H. Hide has been appointed as the new managing director of Ulstein Power & Control. Hide has a ...