Published on October 16, 2014
1. Twitter School Children’s Media and WGBH Education
2. Syllabus • What is Twitter? • Why does Twitter matter? • Should my show be on Twitter? • Should I be on Twitter? • Tips for maximizing engagement with your TV audience
3. Twitter Comfort Level What is Twitter? I’ve set up my account but I’ve never tweeted. My avatar is an egg. I tweet, and find it really valuable. I want to learn more! Level 2 Level 1 Level 3
4. Twitter Lingo To Tweet Tweeting Tweeter …Not twittering. … Not Twitterer.
5. What is Twitter?
6. What is Twitter? • Twitter launched in 2006 • Sends text messages limited to 140 characters • Registered users can read & post tweets • Unregistered users can only read tweets • There are 645 million active registered Twitter users • 135,000 new Twitter users sign up every day • An average of 58 million tweets are sent a day
7. Twitter Demographics
8. Why does Twitter matter? The rise of social TV
9. The Rise of Social TV TV viewers are actively engaged in talking about television on social media have started to watch a TV show because of social media
10. The Rise of Social TV
11. The Rise of Social TV
12. Why does Twitter matter? Twitter as THE second screen platform
13. Why does Twitter matter? 1 million Americans turn to Twitter to discuss TV on an average night of users active on Twitter during peak TV time (9–11 p.m. EST) tweet about TV. In 2013, 36 million people sent 990 million tweets about TV
14. Why does Twitter matter?
15. Why does Twitter matter?
16. Twitter Engagement Megaphone Tweet Followers RTs RTs Embeds RTs Total engagement Potential reach Clicks to website Followers added
17. Should I be on Twitter?
18. Should I be on Twitter? YES DEPENDS
19. Should my show be on Twitter?
20. Why should my show be on Twitter? 1) To monitor brand presence
21. Why should my show be on Twitter? 2) to promote my show
22. Why should my show be on Twitter? 2) to crowdsource ideas
23. Why should my show be on Twitter? 4) to reach new audiences
24. Should I be on Twitter?
25. Using Twitter as a Producer 1) Build your brand 3) Find and follow news 2) Share your passions and hobbies 4) Use as a second screen 5) Become an ambassador of WGBH content 6) Listen to your colleagues and competitors
26. What Do I Tweet? • Your passions and hobbies • Takeaways from professional learning • Interesting links • Pictures • Interact • Ask questions
27. What makes a good tweet? 1) The 80/20 rule 2) Be visual 3) Keep it short 4) Interact 5) Be simple
28. “Do I have to tweet?” No! 44% of people on Twitter have never sent a tweet.
29. Twitter Lists • Group of Twitter accounts • Way to organize Twitter •Follow is not necessary •Public or private
30. Following Lists
32. Tips for maximizing engagement with your TV audience
33. I. Make social sharing easy for your producers and your talent
34. II. Anticipate social storylines
35. III. Identify high impact conversations
36. IV. Find your fans
37. Mary Meeker: “Fans trump audiences.”
38. Questions? Ask me. @torystarr3 firstname.lastname@example.org
The latest Tweets from Education & Children (@iomeducation). Welcome to the Twitter feed of the Isle of Man Government Department of Education and Children ...
News Classical Education Kids Schedules ... at 9pm on 89.7 WGBH. ... also have spent time in the care of the state Department of Children and ...
High School Quiz Show; ... Whether you’re a parent looking to help your children grow and learn; ... Education resources Rent WGBH facilities
... of the Department of Education and Skills, Ireland. Contact us at email@example.com. Our Twitter policy: ... With children back to school now, ...
And we influence global and national policy to improve children’s access to quality education, ... school children access to education in ... Twitter ...
We have compiled a list of 33 education Twitter ... School of Education; Blog; 33 Education Twitter ... the Education of Young Children ...
WGBH Education is on Facebook. To connect with WGBH Education, sign up for Facebook today. Sign Up Log In. WGBH Education. Education. Public Cancel Save ...
Social media for schools: a guide to Twitter, ... The use of social media in education continues to be something of a hot topic with arguments both for and ...