Travel Seminar 02072008

56 %
44 %
Information about Travel Seminar 02072008

Published on April 7, 2008

Author: Penelope


Travel Seminar:  Travel Seminar 1st & 3rd Wednesday of Month: 1:30 pm Please bring: Original I-20/DS-2019, passport, visa, I-94 card, proof of duration of health insurance, and proof of medical evacuation and repatriation coverage Preparing for the Travel Seminar:  Preparing for the Travel Seminar Bring your original I-20/DS-2019, passport, visa, I-94 card, proof of duration of health insurance, and proof of medical evacuation and repatriation coverage for Advisor to review Complete Travel Signature Request Form distributed when you sign-in for the seminar -- Note your anticipated departure date and destination on the Travel Signature Request Form -- Indicate any changes in your course of study, local, or immigration information on the Travel Signature Request Form Health Insurance :  Health Insurance You must have health insurance coverage (including medical evacuation & repatriation) valid for the entire academic year (August 06-August 07). If you are graduating before August, you must have the coverage valid until the end of the term in which you are graduating. Dropping insurance during vacation periods is not acceptable if you plan to return to continue your studies the next semester. Lapses in health insurance coverage are risky due to: the unpredictability of accidents and medical needs any conditions you were being treated for prior to the lapse may be regarded as pre-existing conditions and thus not covered by your new insurance plan Travel Signature:  Travel Signature In order to obtain a travel signature, you must maintain status -- Registered full-time or have submitted a request to study less than full-time -- Have valid I-20 or DS-2019 -- Have not engaged in unauthorized employment -- Have reported all changes to program of study and changes of address -- Have health insurance for yourself and any dependents (including medical evacuation and repatriation benefits) A travel signature from a Slutzker Center Advisor is valid for 1 year except during OPT or AT (valid 6 months) -- If you are concerned about your status or issues related to your particular case, you may request a more current travel signature An advisor will review your documents after the seminar and if they are all current and satisfactory, your I-20 or DS-2019 will be signed for travel today Seminar Overview:  Seminar Overview Travel Within the United States Travel Outside of the United States -- Travel with dependents -- Canada, Mexico, Adjacent Islands -- Beyond North America Returning to the United States Traveling to Obtain a Visa Post-Completion Advisories Things to Consider…:  Things to Consider… New or returning student? F-1 or J-1 visa? When are you traveling? Where are you traveling? Why are you traveling? Have you applied for OPT? Will you have completed your course of study? Traveling by air, land, or sea? Traveling through another country? Will your immigration documents be valid when you plan to re-enter the U.S.? Are you traveling with dependents? Travel within the U.S.:  Travel within the U.S. Law and immigration enforcement agents may randomly stop and question you during routine activities such as driving in your car or waiting for a bus at a bus station. Be prepared: Carry original passport and visa documents (I-20/DS-2019 and I-94 card) Carry your University ID card If you are applying for a change of status, visa, or EAD card, carry your application receipt as proof of pending application Individuals without valid travel documents may be detained, arrested, threatened with deportation, and/or taken into Department of Homeland Security (DHS) custody. Travel Outside the US: Special Registration (NSEERS):  Travel Outside the US: Special Registration (NSEERS) As part of the non-immigrant visa application process, consular officers at U.S. Embassies and Consulates are required to identify individuals who will have to follow the special registration requirements in the U.S.. Further security checks after initial immigration inspection are typically required for: Citizen of Cuba, Iran, Iraq, Libya, North Korea, Sudan, and Syria Males age 16-45 from Afghanistan, Algeria, Bahrain, Bangladesh, Djibouti, Egypt, Eritrea, Indonesia, Jordan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Libya, Malaysia, Morocco, Oman, Pakistan, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Somalia, Tunisia, the United Arab Emirates, and Yemen Foreign nationals of any country may be asked by a U.S. Customs and Border Protection (USCBP) officer to undergo Special Registration if they feel they may be a national security threat NSEERS:  NSEERS If you are subject to special registration procedures, it is your responsibility to make certain that your entry and departure is documented by a U.S. Customs and Border Protection (USCBP) inspecting officer, every time you leave and re-enter the U.S.. This may add a significant amount of time onto departure so please plan accordingly. You are required to report your departure from the U.S. by appearing before a USCBP inspecting officer: at an approved port on the same day that you leave the U.S. Failure to follow the proper registration procedure could result in your being permanently barred from entering the U.S.. Travel to Canada, Mexico, Adjacent Islands :  Travel to Canada, Mexico, Adjacent Islands *Travel documents for absence less than 5 months: Passport—valid 6 months beyond your date of re-entry U.S. visa and I-94 card -- Automatic Visa Revalidation: You may be eligible to re-enter the U.S. from Canada, Mexico, or adjacent islands (not Cuba) on expired visa if: - you are in lawful status and not terminated in SEVIS; - your visit was 30 days or less; - you are not a citizen of “state sponsors of terrorism;” and (Iran, Iraq, Syria, Sudan, Libya, North Korea, Cuba) - you did not just apply for a U.S. visa in Canada or Mexico and get denied Valid, accurate I-20 or DS-2019 with current travel signature May require an additional visa- consult Consulate prior to travel -- Canada (Can apply via the mail or at the Canadian Consulate in Buffalo) -- Mexico * Originals, not copies Travel to Canada, Mexico, Adjacent Islands :  Travel to Canada, Mexico, Adjacent Islands If you are exiting the U.S. and traveling to Canada, Mexico, or Adjacent Islands and: are not an individual seeking a visa renewal; have maintained your lawful non-immigrant status in the U.S.; and intend to resume that status upon your return you should keep your I-94 card provided it is valid beyond the time of expected return to the United States. If you were previously required to do special registration and: Exit and re-enter the U.S. by land: Stop on the U.S. side of the border at Customs and Border Protection to complete your registration procedure Exit and re-enter the U.S. by air or sea: Complete the exit procedure at an approved U.S. departure port Traveling Beyond North America:  Traveling Beyond North America *Travel Documents for absence less than 5 months: Passport—valid 6 months beyond your date of re-entry Valid U.S. Visa I-94 card– Be sure to surrender your I-94 card when you exit. Failure to do so may effect your eligibility to re-enter the U.S.. Valid, accurate I-20 or DS-2019 with current travel signature Transcript from Registrar’s Office (106 Steele Hall) Letter of Registration (If you are traveling during the school year, you should obtain letter at the Registrar’s Office; If the spring semester is over and you are traveling over the summer, you should ask your academic department to issue a letter verifying your enrollment/progress towards your degree.) Financial documentation -- e.g., bank statements, assistantship letter University ID card/additional photo ID * Originals, not copies Travel Documents (continued):  Travel Documents (continued) Slutzker Center Advisor contact information -- Slutzker Center: (315) 443-2457 (Summer Hours: Mon-Fri 8 am- 4:30pm) -- Public Safety: (315) 443-2224 (For emergency after Slutzker Center hours) Additional visas may be necessary -- Entry Visa (e.g., visitor, tourist) - Some individuals visiting countries they are not citizens of must obtain a visa indicating the nature of their visit -- Transit Visa (e.g., visitor in transit) - Some individuals “transiting” into a country because travel requires an intermediate stop in a third country are required to obtain Transit Visas prior to traveling -- Change airports; Change airlines; Stay overnight in the airport - Transit visas are commonly needed for travel through Europe (e.g., UK, France, Italy, Germany, Netherlands) however there are sometimes exceptions for F-1 and J-1 students and scholars Please consult the embassy prior to travel to determine if any visa(s) are necessary. Baggage Inspection Requirements:  Baggage Inspection Requirements Everyone who travels by air must go through a Federal Transportation and Security Administration (TSA) screening process prior to boarding the plane. Travel documents are reviewed -- Airline boarding pass and government-issued photo ID (e.g., passport) Individuals are screened through a metal detector -- Must remove shoes, coat, metal objects -- If detector is set off, additional screening may be necessary Checked and carry-on baggage is screened for prohibited items --Travel-size liquid-based toiletries (3 ounces or less) that fit comfortably in 1 QUART-SIZE, clear plastic, zip-top bag may now be brought in carry-on (e.g., toothpaste, mouthwash, shampoo, sunblock, perfume/cologne, liquid foundation) --After clearing security, travelers can now bring beverages and other items purchased in the secure boarding area on-board aircraft. Dependent Travel:  Dependent Travel Dependents in F-2/J-2 status: Should carry documents similar to those the primary F-1 student/J-1 exchange visitor carries when traveling - Valid visa - Valid passport - I-94 card -Valid 1-20/DS-2019 with current travel signature - If applied for OPT: Copy of primary’s I-20 endorsed for OPT and EAD Should carry documentation that the primary is enrolled and maintaining their status - Transcript/ Letter of Enrollment/ Appointment Letter Are not required to travel with the F-1/J-1 primary May remain in the U.S. without the primary as long as the F-1/J-1 maintains his/her current status and will return after a temporary absence using the same SEVIS ID number - If the F-1/J-1 primary will be outside the U.S. for 5 months or more, current status will be terminated and a new initial attendance I-20 will have to be issued for the primary and dependent(s) U.S. VISIT: Entry Procedures:  U.S. VISIT: Entry Procedures U.S. Visitor and Immigration Status Indicator Technology (US- VISIT) is a system for keeping records of the entry of non-immigrants traveling to the United States. Under US-VISIT Entry procedures, Your passport and visa documents (including I-94, I-20/DS2019) will be reviewed An inkless finger-scanning of your left & right index finger will be conducted A digital photograph will be taken You may be questioned about your visit to the U.S. An entry confirmation will be added to your travel records to demonstrate compliance with the terms of your admission and to verify that you are the same person who received the visa you are utilizing to travel and enter the United States. I-94 Card:  I-94 Card Non-Immigrant Status Length of Stay Date of Entry On the airplane, train, or ship/ at the border: If you surrendered your I-94 card to exit the U.S., you will be given a new I-94 card to fill-out - You must have an I-94 card to re-enter the U.S. The immigration officer will stamp your I-94 card and note: - Your non-immigrant status (F-1/F-2or J-1/J-2) - The date of your entry - The authorized period you may stay in the U.S. (D/S) (Duration of Status) Submit a copy of your new I-94 card to SCIS every time you travel Re-Entry Issues:  Re-Entry Issues If the immigration officer reviewing your documents: Does not stamp your I-94 card or new I-20 Improperly marks your I-94 card or new I-20 politely inform the officer of this and ask for assistance. If the officer will not correct the issue, do not push the matter as you risk being issued an “expedited removal” which could result in a 5 year ban from entering the U.S.. If you do not receive the proper markings, you must make an appointment to meet with a Slutzker Center Advisor. After meeting with an Advisor, you may be able to obtain the proper markings from an immigration officer at either: The Hancock International Airport in Syracuse, or Customs and Border Protection at the U.S. border Re-Entry Issues (continued):  Re-Entry Issues (continued) If there is a problem with your immigration documents, the immigration officer may give you a Form I-515A granting you lawful admission to the U.S. for 30 days and eligibility for all of the benefits associated with your status. In order to maintain status, within those 30 days you are required to meet with a Slutzker Center Advisor and send the documents listed below to the address that is indicated on the back of the form. Completed Form I-515A Your original I-20/DS-2019 signed by a Slutzker Center Advisor You original I-94 card Re-Applying for a U.S. Visa:  Re-Applying for a U.S. Visa Visa renewals should be applied for at the U.S. Consulate in your home country. U.S. Department of State visa information sheets are available online. F-1 students J-1 exchange visitors Procedures for visa applications at a specific foreign U.S. consulate can be obtained by selecting the appropriate embassy from the embassy list. Though not recommended, in some instances it is possible to apply for a U.S. visa in a third country such as Canada or Mexico. This is riskier and denials are more frequent. Some U.S. Foreign Consulates will not accept renewal application from non-residents (Consulates along the U.S. border no longer accept applications from non-resident third country nationals from Cuba, Iran, Iraq, Libya, North Korea, Sudan, and Syria) If you are denied, you must return home and re-apply for a visa and be approved in order to re-enter the U.S. Traveling to Obtain a Visa:  Traveling to Obtain a Visa It is recommended that you schedule a visa appointment well in advance and prior to exiting the U.S.. Be sure to check visa appointment waiting times at the consulate prior to traveling. Also, be sure to check the hours of operation as Consulates may close temporarily for breaks or holidays. If visa processing delays will interfere with your ability to resume your studies, it is advisable to cancel your travel plans since you may remain in the U.S. with an expired visa as long as you are maintaining your non-immigrant status. Security Policies :  Security Policies Individuals who are citizens of certain countries or with certain backgrounds may be subject to special security clearances that will lengthen the visa application processing time. Security Check and Special Registration Individuals from countries identified by the U.S. Department of State as being state sponsors of terrorism or perceived to have nuclear capability. (Cuba, Libya, Iran, Iraq, North Korea, Sudan, Syria) Background Check If you have ever been arrested, or if you have a name that is the same as or similar to someone who has been arrested Technology Alert List (TAL) Students who are considered to be majoring in “sensitive areas of study” as determined by the U.S. government (e.g., physics) or from countries perceived to pose national security threats or nuclear capability (China, India, Israel, Pakistan, and Russia). A TAL delay can take several months to resolve. Visa Application Requirements:  Visa Application Requirements Passport—valid 6 months beyond date of re-entry Valid, accurate I-20 or DS-2019 with current travel signature One current 2x2 photograph (passport-sized) Completed visa application forms Form DS-156 (Non-Immigrant Visa Application) Form DS-158 (Contact Information and Work History for Non-Immigrant Visa Applicant) Some Applicants: Also required to complete and sign Form DS-157 Child Dependents: Required to submit additional form, even if they are included in a parent’s passport Visa processing fee receipt or payment I-901 SEVIS fee receipt or payment if for initial attendance (if applicable) Embassy interview Biometric procedures: Finger-scan and digital picture Visa Application (continued) :  Visa Application (continued) Be prepared to also provide: Transcript and Letter of Registration Financial evidence indicating sufficient funds to cover tuition and living expenses during your program of study -- e.g., bank statements, tax documents, assistantship letter Evidence of binding ties to your home country Applicants with dependents must also provide: Proof of relationship to F-1/J1 (e.g., marriage license, birth certificates) Applicants who may be subject to Technology Alert List (TAL): Resume including research and presentations Departmental letter of support noting relevance of study to TAL Landed Immigrant applying for a U.S. visa in Canada must provide evidence of: Landed Immigrant status (e.g., Permanent resident/Maple Leaf card) Established residency in Canada (e.g., home ownership, employment, family ties) It is not advisable to apply for a new U.S. visa in Canada if you cannot prove equally strong ties to Canada and your home country Post-Completion Travel Advisories:  Post-Completion Travel Advisories After completing an F-1 program you have 60 days to prepare to depart the U.S.; if you have completed a J-1 program you have 30 days to prepare to depart the U.S. Travel and re-entry is not permitted during the exit grace period if: You have not been accepted into a new program of study (e.g., Master’s, Ph. D.) and received an I-20/DS-2019 for the program from the college You have not received (F-1) Optional Practical Training or (J-1) Academic Training Approval You have not received a new visa for re-entry (e.g., B-2 tourist) If you have submitted an application for OPT (pending or approved) or have received Academic Training authorization and travel with an expired visa: You must obtain a new visa while abroad in order to re-enter the U.S.. Visa issuance for individuals on practical training can be problematic since it is more difficult to prove compelling ties to your home country because you are returning to the U.S. for employment and that may be interpreted as a desire to obtain H-1B or permanent resident status. F-1: Post-Completion OPT Travel:  F-1: Post-Completion OPT Travel If OPT has been approved, also travel with the following documents: New, valid I-20 endorsed for OPT Slutzker Center Advisor’s travel signature from last 6 months Valid F-1 visa Employment Authorization Card (EAD Card) Letter from your employer verifying your employment status If OPT approval is pending, travel is not advised. If you chose to disregard this recommendation and travel, you must also carry the following documents: New, valid I-20 endorsed for OPT Slutzker Center Advisor’s travel signature from last 6 months Valid F-1 visa USCIS Service Center Receipt of OPT application Letter from a U.S. employer indicating a job offer if you have received one J-1: Post-Completion Academic Training:  J-1: Post-Completion Academic Training If you plan to leave the U.S. after you complete your program of study and re-enter the country for J-1 academic training, you must apply for work authorization with your RO/ARO prior to exiting the U.S.. To re-enter the U.S. in J-1 student status, you must have: Valid DS-2019 Slutzker Center Advisor’s travel signature from last 6 months Valid J-1 visa A valid passport A valid Academic Training Authorization Letter Reminders and Travel Updates:  Reminders and Travel Updates The Slutzker Center for International Services strongly recommends that you attend a travel seminar prior to departing the U.S. since immigration regulations change frequently Please submit copies of updated documents to SCIS (e.g. new I-94 after travel, renewed passport, renewed visa) Be sure to keep all immigration documents together in a safe place Be aware of immigration document expiration dates and plan ahead to have them renewed or updated Additional information on immigration issues and Slutzker Center events is available on our website at: and SCISNEWS

Add a comment

Related presentations

Related pages

Anthony Grafton, The Culture of Correction: Humanism and ...

Maps, Travel, and Exploration; Medieval, Renaissance, and Early Modern Studies; Music; Religion; Catalogs and Guides. Online Catalog; Cartographic Catalog;
Read more

Bay Area Francophile List This Week!

To return to the Bay Area Francophile List Homepage, ... a unique travel publication that takes a look at a ... Seminar presented by Marie Galanti, ...
Read more

antigravity new energy e frequency of new world

revelation seminar journey revelation ... revelation travel ... http://www ...
Read more | bjj resources: 02/07/2008 - BJJ (Advanced)

02/07/2008 - BJJ (Advanced) Class #159 Roger Gracie Academy ... Seminar footage added to Mastering the Crucifix. ... I Travel In My Own Way. 3 years ago
Read more

7ff493f60 -

tree path: root node -> 7ff493f60 clusters in node: 689 spam scores: The spammiest documents have a score of 0, and the least spammy have a score of 99.
Read more

March 2008 Reimbursements to Employees -

March 2008 Reimbursements to Employees ... TRAVEL TO GAINESVILLE ... EMP RMBR - 02072008 02/07/2008 000092036 70.00
Read more

Make it work: Six steps to effective LGBT human ... - issuu

Title: Make it work: Six steps to effective LGBT human rights advocacy, Author: Sevak Kirakosyan, Name: advocacy_manual_www, Length: 176 pages, ...
Read more