Published on February 25, 2014
What makes a good website in 2014 or Top 8 features and priorities for company websites in 2014 Otto Kekäläinen Seravo salad lunch Tampere 30.1.2014
LINUX SYSTEMS CONSULTING AND SUPPORT SERVICES
1. Responsive design
1. Responsive design
1. Responsive design The share of mobile devices is growing all the time so websites are required to work on devices of all sizes. In general the website must work on a broad spectrum of devices and browsers. HTML5 is the best technology (not Flash). While at it, update the design to look stunning. People have grown accustomed to ever more good looking and easy to use websites and apps.
2. Search engine optimization
2. Search engine optimization The majority of visitors to a website come via search engines (Google). With search engine optimization you get free search engine visibility. The heading and texts should describe the company using the most common terms.
2. Search engine optimization Semantic contents: Navigation and content separated. Images described in meta attributes. Prices, opening hours, addresses etc. marked using micro formats.
3. Loads fast
3. Loads fast The amount of mobile users (who in general have slow connections) has increased, and the speed of wired connections hasn't significantly increased either. Websites should be ever more impressive, but the file size of big images should not grow. Even small differences matter if there are lots of users: Amazon reports that their sales grew 1 % for each 100 milliseconds their site was optimized to load faster. Fast pages get better higher search engine rankings. Do you want more users, who stay at your site for longer and are more return more often?
4. Good web addresses Shorter equals better: Easier to remember, easier to type on a touch screen, easier to fit in the 140 characters of a tweet... WWW is useless. Simply example.com is enough. Big impact on search engine results: for the seach ”auto” the first results are: autotrader.co.uk, autoexpress.co.uk, auto-europe.co.uk, auto-italia.co.uk, autocar.co.uk
5. Social media integration
5. Social media integration A website needs to share content where people already are, so that the content gets visibility. Visibility sparks interest to visit the website. While users visit your website, promote sharing to social networks. Two-way integration leads to a positive loop!
5. Social media integration Also remember map services and directory services Traditional channels still have their users: provide a RSS feed and an e-mail subscription option
5. Social media integration Social network Visits Visits Biggest social media referrers Example seravo.fi Visits
5. Social media integration Source / type Visits Visits Biggest referrers in general Example seravo.fi
6. Visitor analytics All traffic Visits per day As an example, a customer's site in 2013
6. Visitor analytics For most businesses the point of a website is to increase visibility among potential customers. Well, how many potential customers has there been then? All investments into a website should be guided by the expected results (ROI). Results should be evaluated from visitor statistics. A weekly PDF report is easy to automate!
7. Easy to update Stylishness is an important part of the visitor impression, but content in most important. At minimum the content should be correct and current. Wrong information (e.g. price, address, opening hours) on a website will make people angry and spur mistrust. Management must always remember the website and value it as the most important communication channel. Updating the contents should be so easy that even the CEO can do it alone, without delay or costs.
7. Easy to update The more contents, the bigger the likelihood to be seen on somebody’s search engine results page In social media, only new content has potential to spread, not old. ”Sure, I'll update as soon as I have time and can properly concentrate on it...” There must be a dead easy tool for content management!
7. Easy to upgrade The administration view in the WordPress, available in over 70 languages
7. Easy to update Full screen mode helps to focus when writing
8. Affordable to improve There is always something to improve. But there's not always lots of resources? Development must be affordable, otherwise it will be infeasible to update the website to the standards of 2014. And 2015, and 2016... Own your contents, save documents in an open standards format and prefer systems that are open source Break the vendor lock! Even an initially good solution will by time become just a vendor lock = monopoly = expensive.
8. Affordable to improve Avoid vendor lock-in, choose an open source content management system. The most popular are WordPress (17%), Drupal, Joomla, Typo3, Liferay...
Contact us when you want Seravo Oy to develop or maintain your Linux-based information systems Open seravo.fi More tips in our blog
Canvas Prints at Affordable Prices make you smile.Visit http://www.shopcanvasprint...
30 Días en Bici en Gijón organiza un recorrido por los comercios históricos de la ...
Con el fin de conocer mejor el rol que juega internet en el proceso de compra en E...
With three established projects across the country and seven more in the pipeline,...
Retailing is not a rocket science, neither it's walk-in-the-park. In this presenta...
Top 8 features and priorities for company websites in 2014. What makes a good website in 2014? Here are the top 8 most important priorities a business ...
... the priorities of CIO Mike McNamara have shifted ... I’d like to share my list of the Top 10 Strategic CIO Issues for 2014, ... 8) Embrace ...
What should be the top priorities for law firms in 2014? ... the top firms must stay top of ... to truly differentiate in their websites and to invest ...
Top Priorities for BigLaw in 2014? Here's the CMO ... "I think that one of the top priorities for law firms in 2014 will be in the area of ...
Top Priorities in E-Commerce For ... Respondents have prioritized developing mobile-optimized websites, ... © 2014 NetSuite The 2014 State of E-Commerce ...
... The Top Digital Priorities for Marketers in 2014 ... (further developing websites/online 68% of ... 1/8/2014 at 10:00 AM Career ...
Becker's Healthcare Websites ... Top 40 Articles ... 8 Top Priorities in the Hospital C-Suite. Written by Molly Gamble ...
Use the interactive ranking table to explore the world’s top universities, ... to match your personality and priorities. ... 8 steps to improve ...
Boston Children's 2014 hacker explains why he did it; ... Providers' Top 8 Innovation Priorities. ... Other Becker's Websites.