Published on June 1, 2016
1. R E A L T O R ® R E A L T O R ® TOP 8 DIY TIPS to sell your home for more money
2. If you’re on a budget (like most of us are), there are simple DIY projects you can undertake to get your home ready for the market while eking out as much equity as possible.
3. Here’s our list of the top 8 DIY tips. (These are in no particular order - you’ll want to work with your agent to put together a timeline that makes the most sense for you.)
4. TIP 1 paint
5. Giving a fresh coat of modern paint color to cabinets and walls can completely transform your home. For example - 1980s inspired oak cabinets can easily transform to chic modern design. Put some modern colored paint on those bad boys, pair with new fixtures, and you have yourself an updated look! *Image from amberinteriordesign.com
6. For the exterior of your home, the general rule is to stick with no more than 3 colors. • Color 1 - Main • Color 2 - Accent (trim and shutters) • Color 3 - Front door *Image from homebunch.com
7. For your home interior, you can repaint bathroom and kitchen cabinets to give a fresh, modern, look.
8. *Image from apartmenttherapy.com *Image from honestlywtf.com *Image from houseofturqoise.com *Image from huffingtonpost.com *Image from Court Atkins Group
9. TIP 2 update fixtures
10. Do you have fixtures that were installed in 1984? Are the handles on your cabinets worn or falling off? Do your 30 year-old light fixtures have dead bug remnants and stains? Giving them an update can greatly increase the appeal of your house.
11. Here are a few reasonably priced fixtures that you can pick up at your local Home Depot:
12. Bathroom Faucets *Image from sheerluxe.com
13. MOEN DARCY | $139 8 in. Widespread 2-Handle High-Arc Bathroom Faucet in Spot Resist Brushed Nickel *Image and pricing from the Home Depot website.
14. MOEN BANBURY | $109 8 in. Widespread 2-Handle Bathroom Faucet in Chrome *Image and pricing from the Home Depot website.
15. MOEN 90 DEGREE | $286 Single Hole Single-Handle Low-Arc Bathroom Faucet in Chrome *Image and pricing from the Home Depot website.
16. Shower Faucets *Image from carlaaston.com
17. MOEN ASHVILLE | $154 Single-Handle 1-Spray Shower Faucet in Spot Resist Brushed Nickel *Image and pricing from the Home Depot website.
18. DELTA ASHLYN | $123 1-Handle Pressure Balance Shower Faucet Trim Kit in Venetian Bronze *Image and pricing from the Home Depot website.
19. DELTA ARZO | $212 Single-Handle 1-Spray Shower Faucet Trim Kit in Chrome *Image and pricing from the Home Depot website.
20. Kitchen Faucets *Image from Liz Marie Blog
21. KOEHLER SIMPLICE | $190 Single-Handle Pull-Down Sprayer Kitchen Faucet with DockNetik and Sweep Spray in Polished Chrome *Image and pricing from the Home Depot website.
22. DANZE PARMA | $276 Side-Mount Single-Handle Pull-Down Sprayer Kitchen Faucet in Stainless Steel *Image and pricing from the Home Depot website.
23. PEERLESS CHOICE 2 | $85 2-Handle Kitchen Faucet in Chrome *Image and pricing from the Home Depot website.
24. Cabinet Fixtures *Image from sarahshermansamuel.com
25. LIBERTY BRUSHED STEEL BAR PULL | $22 3-3/4 in. (96mm) Brushed Steel Bar Pull (10-Pack) *Image and pricing from the Home Depot website.
26. LIBERTY DUAL MOUNT CUP PULL | $4.32 each 2-1/2 or 3 in. (64 or 76mm) Dark Oil Rubbed Bronze Dual Mount Cup Pull *Image and pricing from the Home Depot website.
27. LIBERTY STEEL BAR CABINET KNOB | $4.32 1-5/8 in. Brushed Steel Bar Cabinet Knob *Image and pricing from the Home Depot website.
28. Light Fixtures *Image from housetrends.com
29. HAMPTON BAY LOW PROFILE FLUSHMOUNT | $57 Hampton Bay Model # HB1023- 35 Internet # 205127898 Store SKU # 1000053230 Brushed *Image and pricing from the Home Depot website.
30. HAMPTON BAY SQUARE CEILING FLUSH | $50 14 in. 1-Light Brushed Nickel LED Square Ceiling Flush Mount Light *Image and pricing from the Home Depot website.
31. PROGRESS LIGHTING URBAN BRONZE | $191 2-Light Urban Bronze Fluorescent Fixture *Image and pricing from the Home Depot website.
32. TIP 3 yardwork
33. It’s hard to sell a house if you can’t see it! Stand across the street from your home and really evaluate the curb appeal. Are your shrubs overgrown? Is there a clear walkway to get to the front door? Does the front door look inviting? *Image from hgtv.com
34. Sometimes taking a picture and evaluating the photo instead of your actual house can help you get a better sense of what it will look like to prospective buyers. (There’s something about looking at it as a picture that helps you detach a bit.) What about your backyard? Are the weeds overgrown? Does it look like there is a space to dine outside and an area for kids to run around? *Image from soulfulhome.com
35. *Image from 1-hire.com *Image from Better Homes and Gardens *Image from Better Homes and Gardens *Image from Better Homes and Gardens *Image from interiorsbystudiom.com *Image from southshoredecoratingblog.com
36. TIP 4 update appliances
37. One of the most common comments we get when going through a kitchen is “Oh, those appliances look dated” or “Oh! Brand new appliances!” Even if you think that the home buyers will want to buy their own appliances, it makes a difference in their purchasing decision if appliances are already up- to-date. *Image from appliancereports.com
38. Kenmore | $799 41153 25 cu. ft. Side- by-Side Refrigerator - Stainless Steel *Image and pricing from the Kenmore website.
39. Kenmore | $399 12413 24” Built- In Dishwasher w/ SmartWash® HE Cycle - Stainless Steel *Image and pricing from the Kenmore website.
40. Kenmore | $499 73233 4.2 cu. ft. Gas Range w/ Broil & Serve™ Drawer - Stainless Steel *Image and pricing from the Kenmore website.
41. TIP 5 clean
42. *Image from homebunch.com Our standard recommendations: • Get your carpets shampooed (especially if you have a pet, you may have grown accustom to your pet’s smell, but guests have not). • Floors shined or polished • Get into all nooks of your stove range, take out all pieces and clean them until they shine *Image from studio-mcgee.com
43. Some areas you may forget about: • Walls and baseboards • The top of wall outlets… (clean carefully) • Behind the toilet • Ceilings - dust out all of the cobwebs • Underneath furniture - If you remove a piece of furniture that has been placed in the same spot and there are carpet marks, place some ice cubes on the carpet dent, let it sit, and then use a fork to fluff up the carpet marks *Image from thisisourbliss.com
44. *Image from wood-mode.com • Cabinet faces (especially in the kitchen) - Use a towel and a little bit of dish soap and water (for standard wood cabinets, but research what product is best for your particular cabinets before proceeding). • Doors - Dust and grime can build up on the decorative cuts of doors. Use a damp towel (and a q tip if needed) to make your doors shine.
45. TIP 6 organize
46. We previously wrote an article about decluttering your space. When home buyers are walking through a property, they WILL open closets and WILL want to go in the garage (wouldn’t you?). *Image from hgtv.com
47. In an ideal world, you’ll have a friend’s house or storage unit to temporarily store all of your excess stuff that you need to clear out when your home is on the market. If that isn’t an option, your garage can be used, but try to use clean rows of boxes so that buyers can get a sense of how big the garage is. The bigger you can make your closets and garage look, the better! *Image from thecreativityexchange.com
48. TIP 7 deodorize
49. *Image from homebunch.com Usually tip #5 helps to eliminate odors - however, if you have any pesky scents lingering, there are a few additional avenues to take. Buy several boxes of baking soda and place the opened cartons throughout your home - concentrate on the areas that are producing the smell (just be sure to remove the boxes before your open house). *Image from apartmenttherapy.com
50. Also, mix together vinegar and an essential oil of choice (lavender is a favorite of mine) - mist this throughout your home (just be careful to avoid direct contact with any fabrics or materials that may be sensitive to vinegar).
51. TIP 8 stage your home
52. Home staging is a term used to describe how a home is set like the stage of a play to welcome in buyers. It’s safe to say that tips #1-7 are all a part of home staging, but home staging also includes arranging furniture and decor to make your house attractive to buyers. *Image from hgtv.com *Staging by Live West Home Staging
53. Statistically, staged homes sell faster and for more money. Staging can be a DIY project if you have a good design eye and know what buyers are looking for. If you need some help and live in a more competitive market (like the Bay Area), we are here for you with our new staging business, Live West Home Staging. (In fact, we offer FREE home staging when you list your property with Steven.) *Staging by Live West Home Staging
54. Good luck! If you have questions about these tips, please don’t hesitate to contact us. We’re here to help, even if you live out of state or out of the country. *Image from hgtv.com *Staging by Live West Home Staging
55. Keller Williams is an independently owned and operated real estate brokerage. If you have a brokerage relationship with another agency, this is not intended as a solicitation. All information deemed reliable but not guaranteed. Equal Opportunity Housing Provider. 100 Pringle Ave. #100 | Walnut Creek , CA 94596 CAL BRE# 01800954 ©2016 Original Content - The White Forest Company CALL / TEXT 925.609.4486 EMAIL firstname.lastname@example.org WEB www.QuachCompany.com CONTACT: STEVEN QUACH LISTING & HOME BUYING SPECIALIST
8 Easy Home Selling Tips. By ... Over-pricing when you sell a home reduces ... Also be wary of offers that promise more money but contain ...
Learn more ways to add value to your home from DIY ... saves you money now, adds value when you sell. ... Tip 3: Visually increase your home's ...
... to dramatically change the look of your home. Here are some tips: ... be a problem if you ever plan to sell your home, ... 10 MORE Ways to Make Your ...
The more personal stuff in your house, ... Get the most out of your money with these handy home-buying tips. ... Top 10 Ways to Sell a Home Without All the ...
If you're thinking about remodeling your home, you should ... returns a solid 83% if you should decide to sell your home. ... tips to master DIY ...
You’ve decided to sell your home, and you want to get top ... can also make your home more ... You in Class: 4 Key Money Tips ...
Top Spotlight The 8 Most Financially ... Money-Saving DIY; Add Value to Your Home; Save on Utilities; ... Enjoy your home more today — and sell it for ...
How to Sell Your House for the Most Money. ... Top 10 tips to selling your home in the ... you should have asked for more money when you home sells in one ...
Successful staging is key to selling your home ... it goes without saying that you are hoping to sell your home as ... 8. Rearrange your ...
... top of anyone's mind when it comes to home ... Your Home More Energy Efficient. A few simple changes can save you big money. Check out our tips for ...