Published on March 7, 2014
Think Epic, Be Epic: A How-to Guide for Disruptive Times Speaker: Bill Jensen Author Disrupt! Think Epic. Be Epic Moderator: Max Mihelich Associate Editor Workforce magazine #WFwebinar
Tools You Can Use • Audio Control – – There is no dial in number the sound will come through your computer speakers or headphones Also check internal volume on your computer as well as your external speakers or headset. #WFwebinar
Tools You Can Use • Q&A – – – Click on the Q&A icon on your floating toolbar in the bottom right corner. Type in your question in the space at the bottom. Click on “Send.” #WFwebinar
Tools You Can Use • Polling – Polling question will appear in the “Polling” panel. – Select your response and click on “Submit.” #WFwebinar
Frequently Asked Questions 1. May I receive a copy of the slides? YES! You will receive a link to today’s recording along with a link to download the slides shortly after the presentation concludes. 2. May I review the webinar recording? YES! You may log in again a link that will be provided in an email after the event to review the presentation ondemand. #WFwebinar
Think Epic, Be Epic: A How-to Guide for Disruptive Times Max Mihelich Associate Editor Workforce magazine #WFwebinar
Think Epic, Be Epic: A How-to Guide for Disruptive Times Bill Jensen Author Disrupt! Think Epic. Be Epic #WFwebinar
Think Epic, Be Epic Unleashing Everyone’s Courage Bill Jensen CEO, The Jensen Group
Why are you here? Age of personal disruption 1. Smarter, not harder 2. Culture of innovation
Master Class on Disruption: Think Epic, Be Epic 100 Disruptive Heroes
Webinar Goal Ahas
Challenge for us all… The people who will succeed in this era are those who figure out how to benefit from, or take advantage of, continuous disorder and disruption
Polling Disruptive Change and You 3 Qs
Two books simplified… • 7 Character Traits • 25 Successful Habits • 5 Habits
1. Audacity Matters “When you think nothing can be done — that’s bullshit. You have to have the courage to take the leap of faith. The amount of possibilities is infinite.”
1. Audacity Matters Get aggressive about your ideas. Now! Incrementalism during disruptive times is a risky career/biz strategy
1. Audacity Matters Radical Disruptors and Good Corp. Citizens Agree 1. Simple, bold ideas matter 2. Create conversation space 3. Piloting mitigates risks
2. Question Everything “How would you design a healthcare system if there was no such thing as doctors? Or if we weren’t so tied to chemical solutions?”
2. Question Everything Many of our systems, structures, rules are STILL holdovers from Industrial Age • Ability to question everything = Ability to question your own assumptions • Respect the people, question everything else
2. Question Everything Find your core set of Q’s Practice, practice, practice • “How do you define success?” • “What if…” (…there were no rules for this?) (…we piloted this?) (…we crowdsourced the solution?) • “Why…?” (up to 5 times!)
3. Disrupt Yourself “You have to learn to kill what you’re most proud of. That’s very hard because you’re emotionally attached to it. But you have to.”
3. Disrupt Yourself Do unto you before others do it for you! • Disrupting yourself is not risk-free • Disrupting yourself restructures risk • You get to define the risk you will take: • how it will benefit you if things go well • how it will affect you if things go poorly
3. Disrupt Yourself Know thyself. Deeply. “I realized that being a professor wasn’t the choice that would make me happy.”
4. Make a Mess “Nobody is smart enough to know what will work and what won’t. We try, we fail, then adapt. You have to embrace failure.”
4. Make a Mess Learn to: Iterate, Iterate, Iterate!
4. Make a Mess Assign yourself “Failure Projects” One project per quarter in which you intentionally push yourself or the project beyond a safe and predictable zone.
5. Be a Triage Master TRIAGE The ability to assess any situation, rapidly prioritize what needs to be done, who needs to be involved — effectively, rapidly communicating it all.
5. Be a Triage Master “This is hard work. We need to change how we educate our workforce. To be semi-autonomous AND do quality assessments.”
5. Be a Triage Master The one SKILL that rules them all
5. Be a Triage Master IFTF 2020 Work Skills 10 Core Skills • Sense-Making • Cognitive Management • Adaptive Thinking
SUMMARY Be a Disruptive Hero Disruptive times demand your ability to turn disruptions into strategic advantages. Different goggles… Courage to use them
SUMMARY Be a Disruptive Hero HABIT 1 Audacity Matters HABIT 2 Question Everything HABIT 3 Disrupt Yourself HABIT 4 Make a Mess HABIT 5 Be a Triage Master
What Are You Thinking? Feeling? Ahas?
“For anyone who wants to affect positive change in the world.” “Brilliant. Exhilarating. Moves you to action.”
Bill’s punchline... It’s time to unleash the disruptive courage within you. Will you? FROM Disruptive Dilemma TO Disruptive Ability
Bill Jensen President/CEO The Jensen Group 1.973.539.5070 firstname.lastname@example.org
Q&A Bill Jensen Author Disrupt! Think Epic. Be Epic • Please take this time to submit your Questions. #WFwebinar
Join our next Webinar! Total Rewards 'State of the Union': Top Trends, Challenges and Recommendations for the Coming Year Wednesday, March 26, 2014 Webinars start at 2 p.m. Eastern / 11 a.m. Pacific Register for all upcoming Chief Learning Officer Webinars at www.clomedia.com/webinars #WFwebinar
In this interactive session you will hear from two experts on how organizations are leveraging augmented reality, mobile and behavior mechanics to make ...
... #DeckPlans Deck paint color will be very important to think carefully especially when you have the great plan to have perfect deck decor where you and ...
... for the garden this would be EPIC!!!!! deck ideas | Garden Decking ... I don't think I could imagine a more perfect deck and the house ain't so bad ...
Going to be epic. Deck goes in next month... Like Bookmark March 28, 2015 at 7:17AM. Thank you for ... (for the people who think I have an attitude):