Published on November 17, 2019
1. 2 Peter 1:3-4 His divine power has given us everything we need for life and godliness through our knowledge of Him Who called us by His own glory and goodness. Through these He has given us His very great and precious promises, so that through them you may participate in the divine nature and escape the corruption in the world caused by evil desires. www.networkbible.org
2. 2 Peter 1:5-7 For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; and to godliness, brotherly kindness; and to brotherly kindness, love. www.networkbible.org
3. 2 Peter 1:8-9 For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. But if anyone does not have them, he is nearsighted and blind, and has forgotten that he has been cleansed from his past sins. www.networkbible.org
4. 2 Peter 1:10-11 Therefore, my dear brothers, be all the more eager to make your calling and election sure. For if you do these things, you will never fall, and you will receive a rich welcome into the eternal kingdom of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. www.networkbible.org
5. You cannot give yourself diligently to EVERYTHING, but you have likely given yourself diligently to SOMETHING This passage confronts us with one of the great tensions in scripture: the SOVEREIGNTY of God and FREE WILL We are SAVED through GRACE by FAITH in Jesus alone, but we do not GROW by faith alone.
6. What do we DO with what we have been GIVEN? Godliness is ATTAINABLE; life change possible Life and godliness come through KNOWLEDGE of Him…
7. Peter doesn’t explain what the promises are, only the RESULT they ENABLE God’s goal is not merely that you ESCAPE corruption, but that you SHARE in His nature God has provided EVERYTHING we need, but that does not erase our need for DILIGENCE.
8. This is not faith plus WORKS for salvation, but our part in SANCTIFICATION. Christian CALLING and LIVING are two sides of the same coin. The calling enables the living; the living confirms the calling.
9. Please take a moment to fill out your Communication Card My Next Step Today is to: ( ) Do the home life help (in bulletin) ( ) Reflect on what I have done with what I have received. ( ) Be more diligent toward Christian growth ( ) Examine what qualities I need to grow in ( ) Identify one step I can take to grow in my faith to be more godly ( ) Other________________________