Published on October 31, 2018
1. Robbins Review The Thyroid Gland- Neoplasms Dr. Sameera Rashid PGY-3 Anatomical Pathology
2. Cuboidal to low columnar epithelium filled with pink, homogenous PAS positive thyroglobulin.
3. Add a Slide Title - 3
4. PTC- Variants ▪ Papillary microcarcinoma: a focus of PTC less than 1 cm in maximum diameter.
5. PTC –Oncocytic variant Papillary structures at least focally, may be mixed with follicular growth pattern Predominantly oncocytic cytoplasm but papillary nuclear features May be encapsulated or invasive.
6. Noninvasive follicular thyroid neoplasm with papillary-like nuclear features (NIFTP) Major features: Encapsulation or clear demarcation Follicular growth pattern with less than 1% papillae If solid, trabecular or insular patterns seen; these in total should be less than 30% of the total tumor volume No psammoma bodies Nuclear features of papillary thyroid carcinoma (enlargement, crowding / overlapping, elongation, irregular contours, grooves, pseudoinclusions, chromatin clearing), nuclear score should be 2 or 3 Excellent prognosis
7. Add a Slide Title - 3
8. Follicular adenoma of the thyroid ▪ Benign, encapsulated, clonal. ▪ Monotonous follicular/trabecular arrangement. ▪ No Capsular or vascular invasion. ▪ R/F radiation exposure, Cowden disease, Carney complex.
9. Follicular Carcinoma • 10-15 % of all thyroid malignancies. • Minimally invasive: well encapsulated (excellent prognosis) • Widely invasive:not encapsulated, widely invasive.( poorer prognosis)
10. Follicular adenoma Vs Follicular carcinoma
11. Add a Slide Title - 3
12. Medullary Carcinoma
13. Add a Slide Title - 3
14. Add a Slide Title - 3
15. Add a Slide Title - 3
16. Add a Slide Title - 3
17. Anaplastic (differentiated) carcinoma ▪ Extremely aggressive ▪ Pleomorphic glands with epithelial, spindle, giant cells and necrosis. ▪ R/F iodine def, radiation exposure, pre-existing thyroid disorder.
18. Poorly differentiated (insular) carcinoma ▪ Solid / trabecular / insular growth pattern ▪ No nuclear features of papillary carcinoma ▪ Presence of at least one of following: convoluted nuclei, 3+ mitotic figures / 10 HPF,
19. Add a Slide Title - 4
20. Add a Slide Title - 5