Published on May 20, 2009
The Power of Multiple Generations Twitter.com/LindaDeLuca www.Azione-Scopo.com www.LinkedIn.com/in/LindaDeLuca
Linda DeLuca avatar Me
grew up here…
received my education here, here, and here…
Deb Denis Consulting I collaborate, partner, and work with these organizations…
I engage, participate, and connect here…
I am founder and president here…
traditionalist boomer ages 64-87 ages 45-63 gen X gen Y ages 29-44 ages 9-28
generational voices traditionalist boomer ages 64-87 ages 45-63 gen X gen Y ages 29-44 ages 9-28
Do unto others keeping their preferences in mind.
gen·er·a·tion [jen-uh-rey-shuh n] –noun 1. a group of individuals born and living at the same time 2. A group of generally contemporaneous individuals regarded as having common cultural or social characteristics and attitudes 3. group of individuals, most of whom are the same approximate age, having similar ideas, problems, attitudes, etc.
Age ≠ Generation
generalization stereotype • Flexible • Rigid • Does not apply to • Applies to everyone in the everyone group • Guideline/way to begin to understand others
Traditionalist Baby Boomer 8% 44% Gen X 34% Gen Y 14%
What Generation Am I?
Generational Profiles demographics influences work preferences strengths
demographics influences Born 1922 – 1945 FDR 75 million John Wayne 8% of workforce Pearl Harbor Midway Post depression traditionalist ages 64-87 World War II In a word work preferences strengths (or few) Leadership: Fair, consistent, Hard working clear, direct, respectful stable Patriotic Hard-working loyal Loyal Outlook: Practical thorough, detail-oriented focused Work ethic: Dedicated emotional maturity
demographics influences Born 1946 – 1964 MLK 80 million Gloria Steinem 44% of workforce Woodstock Watergate Television explosive consumerism boomer Women’s and human rights ages 45-63 work preferences strengths Leadership: treat as equals, Team perspective In a word warm & caring, mission- (or few) Dedicated defined, democratic Experienced approach Idealistic Knowledgeable Competitive Service-oriented Outlook: Optimistic Work ethic: Driven
demographics influences Born 1965 – 1980 Bill Gates 46 million Bill Clinton 34% of workforce World wide web gen X Latchkey kids ages 29-44 AIDs Media Explosion In a word (or few) work preferences strengths Leadership: Direct, Independent Self-reliant Competent, Genuine, Adaptable Independent Informal, Reliable, Results- Creative oriented, Supportive of learning opportunities Techno-literate Willing to challenge status quo Outlook: Skeptical Work ethic: Balanced
demographics influences Born 1981 – 2000 Family / parents 76 million Columbine 14% of workforce (and 9/11 growing) Information: whatever, gen Y wherever, whenever ages 9-28 Born Digital In a word (or few) work preferences strengths Leadership: motivational, Optimistic Realistic collaborative, positive, Able to multitask Smart educational, organized, Tenacious Tech-Savvy achievement-oriented, able to coach Techno-savvy Driven to learn and grow Outlook: Hopeful Team-oriented Socially responsible Work ethic: Determined
Your Generational Profile (select A,B,C, or D on each of the following 10 slides)
1. Work Ethic A. B. Dedicated Driven C. D. Balanced Determined
2. View of Work A. B. Hard work is good in Meet or surpass one’s itself own expectations of success C. D. Work considered self- Work synonymous with fulfillment continuous learning and change
3. Work / Life Balance A. B. Very interested in Is this workaholic lifestyle flexible hours worth it? Are the rewards worth the cost? C. D. Balance is very Choose better lifestyle important. Willing to over promotion sacrifice to it but only occasionally.
4. View of Authority A. B. Respectful Love / hate C. D. Unimpressed Polite
5. Leadership by A. B. Hierarchy Consensus C. D. Competence Pulling together
6. On Teamwork A. Not in it for individual B. Everyone works until recognition. Work is all the work is finished. done in proximity to one Long / hard hours. another. Committed to each other. C. Teams are not D. What will I get out of defined by proximity; this team? each person has a unique role.
7. View of Change A. B. Get it over with Create it C. D. Make it work for you Inevitable and increasing in pace
8. Career A. B. Competitive wage Fair wage Stable employment in Stable employment meaningful work Secure retirement Comfortable and “interesting” retirement C. D. Wealth accumulation Wealth opportunities Work-life balance Indulge interests and Early Retirement curiosities Expect to work in retirement
9. About feedback A. B. No news is good news Feedback once a year with lots of documentation C. D. Lots of positive Instantaneous and feedback, frequently constant feedback
10. Motivation A. Let me know my B. Promote and support experience is valued lifelong learning, give me and provide stability public recognition and and security where provide visible perks. possible. C. Support me in D. Provide me with staying on the forefront opportunities to of technology, provide contribute, collaborate, continuous training, and engage. Listen to my opportunities to work ideas, coach me. with diverse teams.
Totals A B C D
Learn from one another, not become another
FEEDFORWARD Let go of the past Listen to suggestions without judging
FEEDFORWARD in Action Role 1 Goal: Learn As Much As You Can • Describe the generational situation want to change • Ask for feedforward • Listen, take notes, say “Thank you” Role 2 Goal: Help As Much As You Can • Ask what they would like to change • Provide 2 feedforward suggestions • Say “Your welcome”
Make The Commitment!
Interactive Workshops Available for your team and organization: The Power of Multiple Generations Coaching & Managing Across Multiple Generations Custom Developmental Workshops
Linda.DeLuca@Azione-Scopo.com Twitter.com/LindaDeLuca www.Azione-Scopo.com www.LinkedIn.com/in/LindaDeLuca
Canvas Prints at Affordable Prices make you smile.Visit http://www.shopcanvasprint...
30 Días en Bici en Gijón organiza un recorrido por los comercios históricos de la ...
Con el fin de conocer mejor el rol que juega internet en el proceso de compra en E...
With three established projects across the country and seven more in the pipeline,...
Retailing is not a rocket science, neither it's walk-in-the-park. In this presenta...
The power of multiple generations. Online registration by Cvent ... This event has been cancelled. If you have any questions, please contact the event ...
A Partner in From Jitterbug to Twitter: Harnessing the Power of Multiple Generations in Employee Volunteer Programs Sherri Petro, President, VPI Strategies
PowerFit Real-time and intraday optimization of multiple power generation units Efficiency and flexibility for Power Generation Engineering & Maintenance
Multiple Choice Questions of Economics of Power Generation (46-61): 46. The simple subtraction of kilowatts from total kVA equals the kVAR when the power ...
A simplified means to couple or network a plurality of DC Power Generating Systems having similar voltage ratings to a common bus or load.
, the four criteria are first arranged in a hierarchy: at hierarchy one are the four original criteria; at hierarchy two, criterion one (cost) is
In an electric power system, automatic generation control (AGC) is a system for adjusting the power output of multiple generators at different power plants ...
Objective Questions > Multiple Choice Questions of Generation of Electric Power (16-30): 16. When pulverized fuel is not used, the equipment used for ...
• Frequent updates during the day complement traditional day-ahead plans for conventional power generation. • Combined heat and power generation is ...