Published on March 12, 2014
1 Many Ways to Win in Mobile SEO Bryson Meunier Director, SEO Strategy Resolution Media
THREE BASIC OPTIONS FOR MOBILE SITE CONFIGURATION 2
GOOGLE WANTS YOU TO GO RESPONSIVE IF POSSIBLE 3
BUT THEY DON’T WANT YOU TO DO THIS 4
OR THIS 5
OR THIS 6
OR THIS 7
AND THEY DON’T WANT YOU TO DO IT HERE 8 Google’s feature phone guidelines don’t mention RWD: https://developers.google.com/webmasters/smartphone-sites/feature-phones
AND THEY ALSO WANT YOU TO CREATE A GREAT USER EXPERIENCE FOR MOBILE SEARCHERS • Location-aware Alerts/Reminders • Indoor Maps • Click to call • Mobile coupons • Store locator • Barcode scanner 9
BUT ALL OF THIS IS IMPOSSIBLE TO DO WITH RESPONSIVE AS GOOGLE HAS DEFINED IT • Location-aware Alerts/Reminders • Indoor Maps • Click to call • Mobile coupons • Store locator • Barcode scanner 10
AND THEY ALSO DEVELOP GOOGLE SEARCH SEPARATELY FOR DESKTOP, TABLET AND SMARTPHONE 11 Desktop Tablet Smartphone
I.E. THEIR FLAGSHIP PRODUCT, GOOGLE SEARCH, IS NOT RESPONSIVE 12 Desktop Tablet Smartphone
HOW RESPONSIVE WEB DESIGN ADVOCATES SEE ME 14
• It’s about creating content for the web, rather than native apps, which have limited visibility in search results • Good for content heavy sites in markets where smartphone adoption is high • Good for marketers that want a mobile friendly site that works reasonably well for affluent audiences and don’t care that much about universal accessibility or relevance • No redirects to slow things down • Requires no workarounds to retain link equity if it’s appropriate for your user THINGS I, BRYSON MEUNIER, LIKE ABOUT RWD 16
• Mobile conversions grow 51% and bounce rate decreases by 8% for UK debt solution company • Increases traffic 400% and revenue by 188% for photographer site • UK ISP doubles traffic and grows sales by 10x RWD CASE STUDIES NOT TOO HARD TO FIND 17
• If you have some, please see me after panel as Google turned up nothing • Most increases seem to be result of moving from no mobile site to RWD • Sometimes lift attributed to RWD when something else was responsible • Might have seen same gains with dedicated mobile site or dynamic serving RWD SEO CASE STUDIES NOT EASY TO FIND 18
• Impossible to create separate experiences when appropriate for desktop and smartphone searchers when done as Google defines it • Not appropriate for emerging markets or older phones • Not easy to make load quickly • All content on site must be made adaptive for a positive searcher experience, which is time consuming and expensive • Difficult to make hyper relevant pages about high volume mobile queries, as RWD is usually based on OneWeb principle WHERE RESPONSIVE DESIGN FALLS SHORT 19
FORRESTER: RWD NOT FUTURE FRIENDLY 20 Source: https://www.moovweb.com/wp/forrester/
GOOGLE: 19% OF USERS SEARCHING FROM PLACES THEY HAVEN’T BEEN ABLE TO SEARCH PREVIOUSLY 25 Source: Google “Mobile Search Moments”, March 2013: http://www.google.com/think/research-studies/creating- moments-that-matter.html
THIS LEADS TO NEW QUERIES AND SEARCH VOLUMES 26
NEW QUERIES REQUIRE NEW CONTENT AND/OR IA 27
NEW QUERIES REQUIRE NEW CONTENT AND/OR IA 28
MOBILE USERS WANT RELEVANT CONTENT 29 Source: http://www.pwc.com/gx/en/entertainment-media/consumer-intelligence-series-mobile-advertising-what-do-consumers-want.jhtml
TODAY ADVERTISING IS CONTEXTUALLY RELEVANT 30 See video: http://www.adverblog.com/2014/03/01/this-ad-will-blow-you-away/
IF YOU CAN DELIVER A MORE RELEVANT EXPERIENCE THROUGH DYNAMIC SERVING OR DEDICATED MOBILE SITES, WHY WOULDN’T YOU? • Location-aware Alerts/Reminders • Indoor Maps • Click to call • Mobile coupons • Store locator • Barcode scanner 31
SO DYNAMIC SERVING OR DEDICATED MOBILE SITES IS BEST? 32
• It’s about creating content for the web, rather than native apps, which have limited visibility in search results • Good for taking advantage of context-specific marketing opportunities • Good for universal relevance and accessibility, as they can work on feature phones • Link equity retained through workarounds • Additional link equity could be gained by creating a jaw dropping user experience-- not just one that can exist on the desktop WHERE DYNAMIC SERVING OR DEDICATED MOBILE SITES WORK WELL 33
• Leading international recruitment company with 42% of traffic generated via organic search to their dedicated mobile site • UK urban clothing retailer with 1300 dedicated mobile pages listed in Google search and 32% of traffic from organic search • 30% increase in speed using dynamic serving for iPhone over desktop DEDICATED MOBILE SITE AND DYNAMIC SERVING CASE STUDIES NOT AS HARD TO FIND AS SOME THINK 34
• Redirects and workarounds necessary for success • A lot of marketers make simple redirect errors • Too often dedicated mobile sites have stripped down mobile experiences, when mobile searchers are going to be looking for a lot of the same things that desktop searchers are, and then some. • Requires more complex information architecture to work well WHERE DYNAMIC SERVING AND DEDICATED MOBILE URLS FALL SHORT 35
BIDIRECTIONAL ANNOTATIONS FOR M DOT SITES 36
VARY HTTP HEADER FOR ADAPTIVE SITES 37
WHAT WILL WORK BEST FOR YOUR SITES AND YOUR USERS? 38
MANY WAYS TO WIN! 39 Source: https://prometheuscomic.wordpress.com/2010/06/page/2/
Bryson Meunier Director, SEO Strategy Resolution Media firstname.lastname@example.org http://www.brysonmeunier.com http://www.resolutionmedia.com @brysonmeunier THANK YOU!
Brands are more invested today than ever before on curating and distributing paid,...
Marketers need to be creating and publishing original content across many differen...
As content marketing continues to increase in popularity in every industry, more m...
Il Direct Email Marketing (DEM) è una tipologia di marketing diretto che usa la po...
This presentation contains all 120 rules from Part 1 of the 2nd edition of "Email ...
5 Strategic Ways To Win The SEO Game. ... “When you play the game of SEO, you win or you ... There are so many different ways to reach your business’s ...
3 Ways to Find and Win New #SEO Clients. ... Understanding that many clients with more dated web code may not be mobile ... There are many other ways ...
3 Ways to Find and Win New SEO Clients. May 20, 2015. ... (3 Ways to Win) While SEO can work for just about anyone ... There are many other ways to find ...
But do conventional desktop SEO techniques cut it? Some advocate distinct mobile SEO tactics, while others question the very notion of "mobile SEO." ...
... your website has to be optimized for mobile SEO in ... Ecommerce SEO Win: ... outdated as we speak and still cannot be rendered on many mobile ...
Seven Ways To Win In Mobile Search ... layout that takes into account mobile user behavior. For many ... Optimization SEO: Mobile ...
... (whoever!) do SEO. And while there are many awesome ways to learn SEO as a beginner ... Another win on mobile is if your brand or client has ...