Published on November 1, 2016
1. The Heart of Jesus (Part II): Separate Yourself for Battle John 17:6-19
2. video Heaven was needing a hero. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxJf9Zez TZE
3. Jesus was a soldier The Father sent Him to fight the greatest of all wars. He died to win it for us. He sent his apostles to continue the war for others. We are here to continue fighting battles in a war he already won.
4. Set Apart for Victory Jesus prayed for the Father’s glory Jesus prayed for the apostles. Jesus prayed for all future disciples.
5. His prayer for self was a prayer for the Father Jesus Prayed that the Father would glorify Him so that he could glorify the Father. He would be set apart to win the war by dying.
6. John 17:1–5 (ESV) 1 When Jesus had spoken these words, he lifted up his eyes to heaven, and said, “Father, the hour has come; glorify your Son that the Son may glorify you, 2 since you have given him authority over all flesh, to give eternal life to all whom you have given him. 3 And this is eternal life, that they know you the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom you have sent. 4 I glorified you on earth, having accomplished the work that you gave me to do. 5 And now, Father, glorify me in your own presence with the glory that I had with you before the world existed.
7. The Father selected Jesus’ disciples. John 17:6–19 6 “I have manifested your name to the people whom you gave me out of the world. Yours they were, and you gave them to me, and they have kept your word. He revealed the nature of the Father to His apostles. They belonged to the Father first. The Father gave them to him. They obeyed the word. My prayer: You know you are not here by accident.
8. Christ was giving them what the Father had given Him. 7 Now they know that everything that you have given me is from you. 8 For I have given them the words that you gave me, and they have received them and have come to know in truth that I came from you; and they have believed that you sent me. What He gave them came from the Father. His Words were not his own. They received and believed it. My prayer: nothing I say comes from me. And if it is from God, you’ll receive it.
9. Jesus cared more about God’s kids than the world’s kids 9 I am praying for them. I am not praying for the world but for those whom you have given me, for they are yours. Christ’s first responsibility for intercession is for those whom the Father put in his care. My prayer: For you!! Because you are His.
10. True Possessions – true glory 10 All mine are yours, and yours are mine, and I am glorified in them. What’s mine is yours. What’s yours is mine. How is he glorified through them? Their faith Their works Their obedience. Father is glorified. My prayer: You glorify Christ.
11. Keep them Father 11 And I am no longer in the world, but they are in the world, and I am coming to you. Holy Father, keep them in your name, which you have given me, that they may be one, even as we are one. I’m gone They’re here Keep them faithful. Keep them united. My prayer: Stay faithful. Stay focused in the faith.
12. Secure them! 12 While I was with them, I kept them in your name, which you have given me. I have guarded them, and not one of them has been lost except the son of destruction, that the Scripture might be fulfilled. I kept them. I guarded them. Only the one who was not one of them is …. My prayer: Protect them in the faith.
13. Don’t let them loose the joy. 13 But now I am coming to you, and these things I speak in the world, that they may have my joy fulfilled in themselves. 14 I have given them your word, and the world has hated them because they are not of the world, just as I am not of the world. Keep the joy. They have the Word The world hates them. They aren’t of the world. Jesus wasn’t of the world. My prayer: keep the joy in spite of the world.
14. Protect them from the world w/out taking them out. 15 I do not ask that you take them out of the world, but that you keep them from the evil one.16 They are not of the world, just as I am not of the world. Be in the world, but not of the world. Protect them from the evil one in the world. My prayer: You can live in the world, testify to the world, but not be defiled by the world.
15. Separate them by your word 17 Sanctify them in the truth; your word is truth. 18 As you sent me into the world, so I have sent them into the world. 19 And for their sake I consecrate myself, that they also may be sanctified in truth. Set them apart. Let your word and truth keep them pure from the world. You sent me into the world. Now I send them. I’m set apart. Let them be set apart through truth. My prayer: Be set apart! Impact the world!
16. Christ was a soldier The apostles were soldiers Every evangelist and Pastor is a soldier. Every believer is a soldier Have you been separated for battle? Are You A Soldier?