Published on October 20, 2016
1. The Evolution of Application Release Automation October 20th, 2016 Sunil Mavadia, Director of Customer Success, XebiaLabs Robert Reeves, CTO & Co-Founder, Datical
2. 2 | Housekeeping ▪ This webinar is being recorded ▪ Links to the slides and the recording will be made available after the presentation ▪ You can post questions via the GoToWebinar Control Panel
3. 3 | About Your Presenters ▪ Advocates for Datical’s customers ▪ Leads Datical technical architecture teams ▪ Phurnace Software CTO & Co-Founder, an early ARA pioneer acquired by BMC Software Robert Reeves CTO & Co-Founder ▪ Headed major DevOps Transition projects at previous job ▪ Runs Client Services – including consulting & implementation of the XebiaLabs product suite, XL Release, XL Deploy and XL TestView Sunil Mavadia Director of Customer Success
4. 4 | Poll Question # 1 How frequently do you release new application features in a year?
5. 5 | The Importance of Application Release Automation (ARA) “ARA is the critical final step in the delivery pipeline of applications to improve customer experiences.”
6. 6 | The Importance of Application Release Automation (ARA)
7. 7 | The Importance of Application Release Automation (ARA) In a 2015 survey, ARA was the technology most frequently identified as having been "most important to their organization's adoption of DevOps.”
8. 8 | “I Want to Come to the ARA Party.”
9. 9 | The Impact…
10. 10 | Evolution ▪ Just like our applications have evolved over time to accommodate new technologies… ▪ So must our views of DevOps evolve to include other aspects of our business. ▪ Don’t think “lower-case” application, think “UPPER CASE” Application
11. 11 | Poll Question # 2 Do you use a Continuous Integration and Continuous Delivery (CI/CD) process?
12. 12 | The DevOps Toolchain “DevOps toolchains evolving without a plan encompassing the entire DevOps process result in disparate, overlapping tools that can be difficult to integrate and automate across the different DevOps areas.” "Avoid Failure by Developing a Toolchain That Enables DevOps", Gartner, 3/16/2016 Don’t “Balkanize”. Pick ONE tool that does the job well Make sure your ONE tool supports technical preferences. (e.g., ANT vs. Maven, .Net vs. Java) Future-proof by involving those that select future solutions Backwards compatibility will reap more immediate gains Absolutes are absolutely awful. “We will be 100% in the Cloud in 5 years.”
13. 13 | The DevOps Toolchain…Continued “ Not having a DevOps toolchain functional definition results in DevOps tool decisions made based on vendor tool features and functions, or on individual administrator/developer requirements.” It takes a village. You need all stakeholders involved Sketch out your application architecture. For every box, you need a representative from that team. You did put “database” on your architecture diagram, right? Automate everything in the pipeline, including DB "Avoid Failure by Developing a Toolchain That Enables DevOps", Gartner, 3/16/2016
14. 14 | Why? ▪ Siloed Functions ▪ “Don’t touch my stuff.” ▪ “It’s too hard.” ▪ “I’m scared.”
15. 15 | Why is Release Orchestration So Important? ▪ Enterprises that implement release orchestration often reduce the time to release software from months down to days, or even hours. ▪ They frequently release software 10-20X more quickly just a few months after implementing release orchestration. ▪ Software quality improves dramatically, with enterprises moving from multiple production incidents with every release down to only a few incidents a year
16. How Do We Fix This?
17. 17 | Continuous Delivery and DevOps pioneer, authority and technology leader Global team in US, Europe & APAC Consistently recognized by leading industry analysts Connecting the dots for Continuous Delivery at enterprise scale About XebiaLabs VISIBILITY AUTOMATION CONTROL
18. 18 | V I S I B I L I T Y C O N T R O L AUTOMATION Award-winning tools, recognized by leading industry analysts XebiaLabs Solutions: Connecting the dots for Continuous Delivery at enterprise scale
19. 19 | Provision Plan Code Build Test Release Operate Dev Test Prod mainframe Orchestrate the Entire Delivery Process
20. 20 | What Does XL Release Offer?
21. 21 | Poll Question # 3 Do you automate database change management and deployment processes?
22. 22 | Are You Releasing Apps at the Speed of the Digital Economy? To keep up with the non-stop pace of innovation, organizations have modernized app deployment to deliver better experiences faster. APPLICATION RELEASE AUTOMATION APP DEVELOPER BUSINESS EXECUTIVE DEPLOYED APP CODE QA
23. 23 | The Database is Holding Organizations Back. 23 Manual The painstaking process of deploying database change scripts has created an application release bottleneck. Risky One mistake can bring down your apps or compromise the security of your data. Resource-Intensive Managing the back and forth of database changes is already consuming our organization’s time and effort. DB CODE 4 out of 5 app deployments include database changes
24. 24 | Database Automation. Business Innovation. Respond Faster Make database code deployment as fast and easy as app code deployment. Protect Better Eliminate risks that cause app downtime and data security vulnerabilities. Perform Higher Focus resources on high-value tasks that move the business forward.
25. 25 | Respond Faster by Automating the Deployment of Database Changes. 25 Eliminates back and forth between Dev, QA and DBAs1 Integrates with your tools and processes 2 Automated deployment Validated database changes are automatically deployed with Datical to different environments right alongside application changes. 3 CODE BUILD TEST DB CHANGES APP CHANGES TEST STAGE PRODUCTION
26. 26 | Perform Higher by Massively Increasing Productivity, Efficiency, and ROI. DB Professional Database pros avoid time- consuming review of change scripts to focus on strategically moving the business forward. Developer/QA Devs package, review, and validate database changes alongside app code changes with the push of a button. Business Executive Business delivers experiences faster and more often while reducing error and maximizing other app release investments. Less Time on Database Change Management Tasks* Days & Weeks Hours 80% Decrease in Deployment Errors to Test and Production* 90% * Benchmarked from Datical customers.
27. 27 | Other Great Resources blog.xebialabs.com | datical.com/blog @xebialabs | @Datical youtube.com/xebialabs | youtube.com/DaticalVideos www.xebialabs.com/products www.datical.com/product/ Get started with XebiaLabs for free today Learn more about Datical
28. 28 | Questions?
29. Thank You!