Published on July 24, 2014
TERMES TERMITE INSPIRED ROBOTS THAT CAN BUILD FOR US… TERMES 1
CONTENTS 1. INTRODUCTION 2. INSPIRATION 3. CONSTRUCTORS OF THE FUTURE 4. APPLICATION 5. SPECIFICATIONS 6. KEY IDEA 7. ADVANTAGES 8. REFERANCES TERMES 2
1. INTRODUCTION Human construction projects are generally centrally planned. People in leadership roles supervise how everything is put together, and builders aware of the overall progress. But termites and other animals go about building in a different way, working independently. TERMES 3
Collectively, the insects can create a mound much larger than themselves. “They do all of their coordination indirectly, by changing their shared environment.” - Justim Werfel TERMES 4
2. INSPIRATION This is a six meter walk-in solid timber structure made up by the namibian termite mounds. TERMES 5
INTERNATIONAL ARTS FESTIVAL AT LONDON TERMES 6
3. CONSTRUCTORS OF THE FUTURE The first thing that comes to mind when you think about termites is probably their destructive nature. However, instead of tearing down foundations, these robots are designed to construct structures instead. TERMES 7
ROBOT(NAMED KALI) BUILDING STAIRS TERMES 8
4. APPLICATIONS For construction projects that are too dangerous for humans such as: • UNDERWATER RESEARCH STATIONS. • OUTER SPACE CONSTRUCTION. • BUILDING LEVEES OUT OF SANDBAGS IN FLOOD ZONES. TERMES 9
5. ROBOT’S SPECIFICATIONS These robots are small : 4.7 inches high. Footprint of about 4 * 7 inches. Weight of each robot : 4.5 – 4.7 kilograms. The “bricks” that they can manipulate are made of expanded urethane foam. • Size bigger than these critters : 8.5 * 8.5 * 2 inches. TERMES 10
6. KEY IDEA Robots obtain information about where bricks have been attached only through direct inspection. They have four types of sensors, a pattern recognition system , acomposed of seven infrared sensors, can detect black and white patterns on the bricks and helps with navigation. In addition to tactile sensing, the robots have a pattern recognition system, an accelerometer to sense tilt, and five ultrasound sonar units to detect other robots and help maintain distance from the perimeter of the structure. TERMES 11
7. ADVANTAGES A decentralized system of robots has some advantages over a centrally planned methd of building. “IF HALF THE COLONY GETS EATEN BY AN AARDVARK, THE REST CAN CARRY ON.” - JUSTIN WERFEL TERMES 12
Locomotion possible on different terrains as well as different structures. Autonomous navigation. Multi robot simulation. High-Risk free constructions possible. A cheaper overview in field of construction. Wide applications in the subject of construction in outer space. Each unit is entirely expendable allowing others to simply carry on the work regardless of losses. TERMES 13
8. REFERANCES 1. www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-26025566 2. www.cnn.com/2014/02/13/tech/innovation/termite-robots- aaas 3. www.stuff.co.nz/technology/gadgets/.../termites-inspire- builder-robots 4. http://www.engineering.com/DesignerEdge/DesignerEdgeA rticles/ArticleID/7169/Autonomous-Termite-Inspired-Robots- That-Build-Like-Mad.aspx 5. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Termite-inspired_robots 6. TERMES: An Autonomous Robotic System for Three- Dimensional Collective Construction, Kirstin Petersen, Radhika Nagpal, Justin Werfel, Robotics: Science and Systems Conference (RSS), 2011. 7. Distributed Multi-Robot Algorithms for the TERMES 3D Collective Construction System, Justin Werfel, Kirstin Petersen, Radhika Nagpal, Workshop on Reconfigurable Modular Robotics, at IEEE/RSJ Intl. Conf. on Intelligent Robots and Systems (IROS), 2011. TERMES 14
THANK YOU!! (Follow me for more updates on engineering, technology and science) TERMES 15
Presentación que realice en el Evento Nacional de Gobierno Abierto, realizado los ...
In this presentation we will describe our experience developing with a highly dyna...
Presentation to the LITA Forum 7th November 2014 Albuquerque, NM
Un recorrido por los cambios que nos generará el wearabletech en el futuro
Um paralelo entre as novidades & mercado em Wearable Computing e Tecnologias Assis...
Story highlights. Small robots can behave like termites to build structures; The idea might be applied to send robots to space; These robots ...
... and the Wyss Institute for Biologically Inspired ... TERMES, robot construction crew inspired ... The TERMES robots can carry bricks, build ...
The TERMES Project Collective construction of 3D structures by termite-inspired climbing robots. ... You can see many videos of the TERMES robots and ...
... scientists have created termite-inspired robots that could just do it instead. Skip to main content Contact; Rss; Search form. Search . Home ...
Inspired by termite ... We learned the incredible things these tiny insects can build ... TERMES robots build an elaborate structure ...
... the Wyss Institute for Biologically Inspired. ... Robots Could Be Future Construction Workers. ... The TERMES robots can build ...
Termite-inspired robots or TERMES ... of whether robots can be designed ... who built the initial termite-inspired robots have speculated ...
CHICAGO Robots inspired by the collective construction sites of termites can build complex block structures using just a few simple rules, researchers ...
Engineers at Harvard University have shown how small robots inspired by termites can build quite ... Termite tactics show robots how to build ... US US ...