Published on January 11, 2019
1. Tapping into the power of diversity By: Joëlle Payom Strategic Sourcing & Vendor Management Lead December 10, 2018 PROCURIOUS.COM
2. DIVERSITY ✓ Gender ✓ Religion ✓ Ethnicity ✓ Sexual orientation ✓ Disability ✓ Personality ✓ Age ✓ … More diversity means greater profits: • Organisations with more ethnic diversity were 33% more likely to have above- average profitability (Source: McKinsey) • A UK report revealed that the British economy could be boosted by as much as £24 billion if black and minority ethnic talent were fully utilized (Source: Corehr) MORAL / ETHICS FINANCIAL BENEFITS People matter: • Organizations must ensure their people management approaches do not put any group at a disadvantage. Why is everyone talking about diversity?
3. From Integration to Inclusion: figures vs. impact ❖ DIVERSITY: (The What) A mix of diverse types of people => Accounting ❖ INCLUSION: (The How) The strategies and behaviors that welcome, embrace and create value from diversity. To reap the benefits of a diverse workforce it’s vital to have an inclusive environment where everyone is treated with equity, feels welcome to participate and achieve their potential. What is really at stake? Increased and sustainable benefits + Brand Image = IMPACT
4. How can organisations drive the change? CONSCIOUS AND UNCONSCIOUS BIAS INTERSECTION ALITY AUTHENTICIT Y Some food for thought… • Provide a safe environment where employees can find the right balance between being true to themselves and “fitting in”. • Be aware of interconnected social categorizations that create overlapping and interdependent systems of discrimination or disadvantage. • Encourage employees to speak up without fear of retaliation. • Leverage technology (E.g. AI) to enforce recruitment and promotion of high performers regardless of their background, ethnicity or gender. • Assess all bias and eliminate prejudice in the workplace.
5. KNOW YOUR COMPANY KNOW YOUR WORTH BEWARE OF THE UNDERDOG BE AN INFLUENCER BE INc. How can we contribute as individuals?
6. • Through an awareness of intersectionality, we can better acknowledge differences among us. • Inclusion is not only about supporting business development and allowing greater profits; by leading the change corporations can help building a better society and that’s the real IMPACT. • Not only HR responsibility, each profession should champion a perspective on value creation that considers a broader range of stakeholders. MeToo Mental health Ethics & business sustainability “Nothing is more powerful than an idea whose time has come” – Victor Hugo
7. BIG IDEAS SUMMIT ZURICH. PROCURIOUS PROCURIOUS.COM