Published on January 8, 2016
1. DACD / ISAAC / Energy Systems Sector Energy Systems Sector Vision for research, services and education Davide Rivola Mauro Caccivio Vasco Medici 26 novembre 2015 1
2. DACD / ISAAC / Energy Systems Sector Background: SUPSI in photovoltaics, a brief summary • 1982: TISO 10 kW mono-Si PV plant • 1988: 4 kW a-Si • 1991: Outdoor Test Stand • 2001: Indoor Test (ISO 17025) • 2010: Swiss PV Module Test Center(ISO 17025) • 2014: IECee Certification Body Test Laboratory (CBTL) 26/11/2015 2
3. DACD / ISAAC / Energy Systems Sector Turning points 19.06.2015 Decision to restructure the PV research area 06.11.2015 The new Energy Systems Sector is operational 31.12.2015 Ceasing of IECee certification of PV modules 30.09.2016 Conclusion of transfer of equipment and personnel from Lamone to Trevano Campus 26/11/2015 3
4. DACD / ISAAC / Energy Systems Sector New organization 26/11/2015 4 ISAAC R. Rudel Sector Energy Systems D. Rivola Team Intelligent Energy Systems Vasco Medici Team Photovoltaic Systems Quality Mauro Caccivio Engineering Nicolas Ostinelli Advisor Domenico Chianese Building Sector BIPV Competence Centre
5. DACD / ISAAC / Energy Systems Sector Mission of Energy System Sector Our mission is to accelerate the transition to reliable and environmentally sustainable energy systems. We develop innovative approaches to intelligent energy management and to photovoltaic systems quality. We facilitate their implementation in the built environment. We promote the knowledge transfer to industry, professionals and younger generation. 26/11/2015 5
6. DACD / ISAAC / Energy Systems Sector Head of Sector Energy System Davide Rivola M.Sc. Microtech. EPFL 2004 – 2006 Software Engineer – Omega Electronics, Bienne 2006 – 2007 Software Engineer – TEQ, Barbengo 2007 – 2009 Industrial Automation Engineer – PCAM, Cadenazzo 2009 – 2010 Sabbatical – round the world trip 2010 – 2015 Researcher – SUPSI, Trevano Main activities: • 2010 – 2014 Project manager, Swiss2Grid P&D • 2014 – 2015 Project manager, GridSense (industrialisation of Swiss2Grid) 26/11/2015 6
7. DACD / ISAAC / Energy Systems Sector Team Photovoltaic Systems Quality - New organisation - Market analysis 26/11/2015 7
8. DACD / ISAAC / Energy Systems Sector New Organisation: Photovoltaic Systems Quality Team • Mauro Caccivio Responsible • Gabi Friesen Researcher • Mauro Pravettoni Researcher • Sebastian Dittmann Researcher • Loris Manni Assistant • Moreno Ronchi Technician 26/11/2015 8
9. DACD / ISAAC / Energy Systems Sector PV Market situation and evolution: Market trends 26/11/2015 9 • Price balance is shifting to soft costs • Strong decrease in module price
10. DACD / ISAAC / Energy Systems Sector Is the PV module going to be a commodity? • The winning products shall have a special 26/11/2015 10 focus on quality Soft costs reduction: PV Plug and Play • Integration of electronics in PV modules • Easier installation • Better shadows management • Safety • Monitoring • Efficient O&M • Not for the moment but… PV Market situation and evolution: Price pressure
11. DACD / ISAAC / Energy Systems Sector - Target - Activities .Research .Services .Education 26/11/2015 11
12. DACD / ISAAC / Energy Systems Sector 26/11/2015 12 • Present situation Redefine our Target: Balance of System Redefine our Target: PV module as «black box»
13. DACD / ISAAC / Energy Systems Sector Module characterisation 26/11/2015 13 • Electrical • Thermal • Optical • Mechanical • Outdoor yield evaluation • Different climates • Different technologies Field Performance Activities: Research
14. DACD / ISAAC / Energy Systems Sector 26/11/2015 14 • Definition and ranking of all the failure modes of a product • Ranking based upon major indicators, for example: • Severity: economic and safety impact • Frequency • Detectability Failure Mode and Effects Analysis Survival probability Activities: Research New tools for failure prediction •Failure occurrence •Failure mechanisms/modes •Development of test procedures Approach •Reverse engineering on modules from old systems (>20 years of operation e.g TIS010) •Reproduction of early stage failures (case studies from clients, 1-5 years old systems)
15. DACD / ISAAC / Energy Systems Sector 26/11/2015 15 • ISO 17025 accredited testing – Prototype pre-testing – Retesting activities – Module characterisation: • Lot acceptance verification • Reference module characterisation Activities: Services • Accelerated testing procedures for industry: • New products qualification • Optimisation of R&D processes • Energy Yield measurement • Field testing on PV systems • Quality Auditing
16. DACD / ISAAC / Energy Systems Sector • Introduction to PV (Course of Advanced Studies) • Introductory PV courses for newcomers • Tailormade courses for professionals – FMEA case studies – ALT and UALT methodologies • Tailormade courses for developing countries 26/11/2015 16 Activities: Education
17. DACD / ISAAC / Energy Systems Sector Summary 26/11/2015 17
18. DACD / ISAAC / Energy Systems Sector 26/11/2015 18 • RESEARCH • Focus on PV System Quality • Integration with Intelligent Energy Systems and BIPV group • SERVICES • Focus on Industry, Professionals, EPCs , Insurances and Utilities • Swiss Industry and market driven strategic view • EDUCATION • CAS, courses for professionals, courses for developing countries Summary
19. DACD / ISAAC / Energy Systems Sector Team Intelligent Energy Systems 26/11/2015 19
20. DACD / ISAAC / Energy Systems Sector Team Intelligent energy systems • Vasco Medici Dr. Sc., M.Sc. Microengineering Team leader • Davide Strepparava M.Sc. Informatics Researcher • Gianluca Corbellini M.Sc. Mathematical Engineering Researcher • Lorenzo Nespoli M.Sc. Energy Engineering PhD Student EPFL Scientific assistant 26/11/2015 20
21. DACD / ISAAC / Energy Systems Sector 21 Current research (1/4) GridSense project A completely decentralized demand side managment system • Controls energivorous loads using custom built hardware • Solves a multi-objective optimization problem (energy cost + grid) • Adaptive (plug-and-play) • Pilot project set up and operational
22. DACD / ISAAC / Energy Systems Sector 22 Current research (2/4) SCCER – FURIES Shaping the FUtuRe SwIss Electrical InfraStructure • Work packages: • WP1 Regional Multi-Energy Grids • S1.1. Smart metering infrastructure • S.1.2. Demand side response/management • S1.3. Ancillary services for distribution grids • S1.4. Forecasting tools of renewable energy production • S1.5. Planning procedures of regional energy systems • S1.6. Development of standards/grid codes for distribution networks • WP2 Bulk Multi-Energy Grids • WP3 Multi-Terminal AC-DC Grids and Power Electronics • WP4 Grid Components
23. DACD / ISAAC / Energy Systems Sector 23 Current research (3/4) Optimal design of PV systems • Optimal sizing and orientation of rooftop PV systems, with special focus on bankability (e.g. maximizing internal rate of return of the investment) • Risk assessment and Sensitivity analysis
24. DACD / ISAAC / Energy Systems Sector Start-up company based in Lugano, that is developing a new tool for PV plant design, simulation and optimization, based on a 3d graphics engine. Collaboration with ISAAC on: • Mathematical models for PV performance (modules, inverter, losses...) • Mathematical models for hi-res irradiation • Algorithms for detailed mismatch losses analysis • Optimizer for the design of PV plants (energetic, economic, self-consumption….) • Modelling for bifacial and BIPV modules • … 26/11/2015 24 Current research (4/4) INSUN
25. DACD / ISAAC / Energy Systems Sector 26/11/2015 25 • ERA-Net Smart Grids Plus – Meta analysis of the results of several smart grid project in Europe • SCCER - FURIES 2 – Validation of developed DSM systems – Algorithm development – Business models investigation • KTI project with Insun – Modeling – Plant design optimization – ... Future research (1/2) Planned
26. DACD / ISAAC / Energy Systems Sector 26/11/2015 26 • Data mining techniques on low accuracy monitoring datasets • Machine learning for fault detection • On-site analysis to prevent failures • Analysis of grid effects from penetration of PV • New tariff scenarios for electricity bill (voltage based, peak, capacity…) • Bankability of PV projects • Peer to peer analysis of PV performance from public weather datasets (no local sensors in PV plant) Future research (2/2) Outlook
The rise in energy costs, ... non-renewable resources from abroad call for the development of scalable and more efficient energy systems. ... firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Department of Innovative Technologies ... The technologies available are incorporated into almost all the SUPSI ... industrial and urban energy systems;
The situation may become slightly problematic when solar energy systems ... and to foster working with professionals in each sector to ... 2012 SUPSI SUPSI ...
The usage of these systems in renewable energy and traction ... The usage of these systems in renewable energy and traction sectors is ... 2012 SUPSI SUPSI ...
The Institute for Applied Sustainability to the Built Environment (ISAAC) is part of the SUPSI. It covers research areas in the field of renewable energy and
SUPSI produces, develops ... facilities in Nepal's power system both interconnected ... the national and international organizations involved in energy sector.
Find information about the Energy sector & market performance in the U.S. Track the Energy performance of the stock sector against the Broad Global Market ...
Jay Franco & Sons. Location: Dayton, NJ Sector: Commercial, Retail System Size: 297 (kW) Module: SunTech Inverter: SatCon Annual Energy Output: 325,013 ...
The energy sector accounts for ... as a major function of the energy industry: saving an amount of energy provides economic ... Energy systems:
U.S. Energy Sector Vulnerability Report. ... the Department is assessing the threats of climate change and extreme weather to the Nation’ energy system.