Published on June 30, 2016
1. Summer July 1, 2016 Volume 19, No. 2
2. The Marine Science Center is located at the end of Tybrisa (16th St.), to the left on the other side of the life guard station.
3. The Center has been operating for about 25 years and occupies the former Tybee police station.
4. John went to have a look earlier this week and, fortunately, it was “Beach Week” and a number of organizations had set up outside the Center.
5. Here you can see the half dozen or so lined up outside the Center. The small van on the left belongs to 105.3 FM and they were selling pizza in back.
6. Gray’s Reef is located 16 miles east of Sapelo Island, between Savannah and Brunswick, Ga. It encompasses 22 square miles (about 14,000 acres) of live-bottom and sandy bottom habitat as well as the overlying water column.
7. Yes, a Zika virus station with the “Tip ‘n Toss” slogan to advise us to drain, fill, or get rid of areas that hold water where mosquitoes can breed, even in a container as small as a water bottle cap!
8. A biologist from Ft Stewart shows a child a corn snake.
9. Not to be outdone, a large rat snake was on display across the street.
10. Inside, an event board lists the “walks, talks & treks” available to the public.
11. Probably at least a dozen aquariums featuring native marine species dominate the Center.
12. There is a “Touch Tank” with small marine creatures…
13. …with the do’s and don'ts of touching.
14. High enough so that would be difficult!
15. Ike is an eight-month old sea turtle in the largest tank in the Center. When he reaches his first birthday, he’ll probably be released.
16. Turtles are currently nesting on Tybee and the other barrier islands. Volunteers have identified 8 nests. Turtles are currently nesting on Tybee and the other barrier islands. Volunteers have identified 8 nests. Turtles are currently nesting on Tybee and the other barrier islands. Volunteers have identified 8 nests. Turtles are currently nesting on Tybee and the other barrier islands. Volunteers have identified 8 nests. Turtles are currently nesting on Tybee and the other barrier islands. Volunteers have identified 8 nests. Turtles are currently nesting on Tybee and the other barrier islands. Volunteers have identified 8 nests.
17. The Center works closely with Girl Scouts. It sponsors a two-hour Coastal Georgia Badge Program for Brownie to Ambassador Girl Scouts.
18. The Center is adamant about the dangers of refuse. This exhibit in front shows how long it would take for the displayed items to disintegrate. The two plastic bottles on the right would take six hundred to an undetermined number of years to vanish!
19. John took a beach walk with Alli, a graduate of Savannah State University with a BA in Marine Science. Here she points out Georgia’s barrier islands.
20. Here, Alli holds a baby horseshoe crab. Its blood is blue and can be harvested to detect bacteria in any solution. Alli would like to progress to marine rescue and rehab and is getting a good start at the Tybee Island Marine Science Center.
21. The Science Center hopefully will be moving in a couple of years to a facility to be built near the North Beach parking lot.
22. Our mission is to cultivate a responsible stewardship of coastal Georgia’s natural resources through education, conservation, and research. Tybee Island Marine Science Center
Das SUMMER BREEZE Open Air schaut seiner 19. Auflage entgegen. Bereits zum elften Mal weht die eiserne Sommerbrise vom 17. bis 20. August 2016 im schönen ...
See all the latest catwalk shows and emerging Spring fashion trends revealed here first. Read our show reports live from the front row and a look by look ...
Official website of the Rio 2016 Olympics (5-21 Aug) in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. Find tickets, schedules, travel and venue information.
Das SUMMER GAME 2016 Frankfurt. Am 10.09.2016 - live in der Commerzbank-Arena
22.07.2016 Liebe Chiemsee Summer Freunde, in diesem Jahr ist die Linie 6 neu am Start, welche die Orte Unterwössen, Oberwössen, Schleching und Reit im ...
Official Olympic coverage of the Rio 2016 Summer Games, 5-21 August. Schedule and results, plus record-breaking performances from the world's top athletes.
Hier finden Sie die Schulferien des Jahres 2016 fuer alle Bundeslaender. Ferien. nach Bundesländern. ... Sommer Herbst Weihnachten ; Baden ...
OpenAir Festival Sa 21. Mai 2016 15 Stunden Marathon ... Venue. 72250 Freudenstadt
Programm - Chiemsee Summer. #CS16. 24.-27.08. 2016 Alle. Reggae HipHop Rock Elektro &ME ... Line-Up 2016 . Impressum Kontakt Presse ...
The oldest university in the German Capital invites you to take part in an unforgettable learning experience. Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin is one of the ...