Published on December 20, 2016
1. Tarik Sultan Managing Partner, XLR8UH Managing Partner, Sultan Ventures Treasurer, Hawaii Venture Capital Association State of Startup Paradise Brief Snapshot on the Impact of Hawaii Accelerators Over the Last Four Years
2. Disclaimer: SULTANVENTURES @sultanventures Data was collected and aggregated from four different accelerator programs in less than a week to produce this snapshot of the Startup Paradise ecosystem. Each entity tracked, deﬁned, and interpreted their metrics slightly differently, using self-reported data (both from their portfolio startups as well as from themselves). This data snapshot therefore very likely contains inaccuracies. The key takeaway from this presentation is that despite the fact that the numbers may not be exact, there is an overall positive trend developing in our ecosystem, Startup Paradise. Finally, as with any venture fund, and especially with accelerators, the Power Law plays a signiﬁcant role – i.e. a few outlier companies that are outperforming are raising the average for the rest of the startups. While, those outliers are exactly what the venture capital sector is seeking, they do skew the results fairly signiﬁcantly.
4. Startup Paradise: What are Accelerators? SULTANVENTURES @sultanventures Incubators Angel Investors Accelerators Duration 1 to 5 years Ongoing 3 to 6 months Cohorts No No Yes Business model Rent; non-proﬁt Investment Investment; can also be non-proﬁt Selection Non-competitive Competitive, ongoing Competitive, cyclical Venture stage Early or late Early Early Education Ad hoc, human resources, legal None Seminars Mentorship Minimal, tactical As needed by investor Intense, by self or others Venture location On - site Off - site On - site Table Courtesy: Cohen, Susan. “What Do Accelerators Do? Insights from Incubators and Angels.” innovations 8.3-4 (2013): 19-25.
5. SULTANVENTURES @sultanventures Startup Paradise: Circa 2011 FOR MORE INFORMATION ON STARTUP PARADISE EMAIL INFO@SULTANVENTURES.COM
6. Startup Paradise: Origins SULTANVENTURES @sultanventures 2012 2013
7. 4-Year Results
8. Startup Paradise: Four Year Accelerator Impact SULTANVENTURES Startups Total Startups Includes data from four Startup Paradise Accelerators@sultanventures
9. Startup Paradise: Startup Type SULTANVENTURES Includes data from four Startup Paradise Accelerators @sultanventures
10. Startup Paradise: Startups vs. Total Capital (Revenue + Funding Raised) SULTANVENTURES Includes data from four Startup Paradise Accelerators TOTALCAPITAL 000s STARTUPS @sultanventures 4818 96 145
11. Startup Paradise: Average Capital per Startup SULTANVENTURES Includes data from four Startup Paradise Accelerators AVGCAPITAL000s @sultanventures
12. Startup Paradise: Startup Status SULTANVENTURES Includes data from four Startup Paradise Accelerators STARTUPS Dead Zombie Growing Exit (Acquisition, IPO, etc.) @sultanventures
13. Startup Paradise: Average Capital per Startup, Less Dead SULTANVENTURES Includes data from four Startup Paradise Accelerators AVGCAPITAL000s @sultanventures
14. Startup Paradise: Average Capital per Startup, Less Dead + Zombie SULTANVENTURES Includes data from four Startup Paradise Accelerators AVGCAPITAL000s @sultanventures
15. Startup Paradise: Average Investment Dollars Deployed per Startup (Hawaii vs Non-Hawaii) SULTANVENTURES Includes data from four Startup Paradise Accelerators TOTALCAPITAL 000s @sultanventures
16. Startup Paradise: Investment Dollars Deployed (Hawaii vs Non-Hawaii) SULTANVENTURES Hawaii Non-Hawaii Includes data from four Startup Paradise Accelerators TOTALCAPITAL 000s @sultanventures
17. Startup Paradise: Hawaii vs. Non-Hawaii Startups (Revenue + Funding) SULTANVENTURES Hawaii Non-Hawaii Includes data from four Startup Paradise Accelerators TOTALCAPITAL 000s @sultanventures
18. Startup Paradise: 4-Year Summary SULTANVENTURES @sultanventures Total Hawaii Non-Hawaii Startups 145 87 58 Jobs Created ~1000 >400 >500 Investment Deployed $10.6M $4.2M $6.4M Avg Investment per Startup $73.1K $48.5K $110.0K Funding Raised $207.3M $62.2M $145.1M Revenue Generated $44.8M $11.2M $33.6M Total Capital (Funding + Revenue) $252.1M $73.4M $178.7M
20. SULTANVENTURES @sultanventures Startup Paradise: Circa 2011 FOR MORE INFORMATION ON STARTUP PARADISE EMAIL INFO@SULTANVENTURES.COM
21. SULTANVENTURES @sultanventures HIR FOR MORE INFORMATION ON STARTUP PARADISE EMAIL INFO@SULTANVENTURES.COM Startup Paradise: 2016
22. Startup Paradise: SULTANVENTURES @sultanventures Startup Paradise: National Headlines
23. Moving Forward
24. Startup Paradise: SULTANVENTURES @sultanventures • Partner Organizations – E.g. corporate involvement • “Quality” Applicants > Quantity – IP (patents, copyrights, and trademarks) – Teams with college degrees – Teams with prior (for-profit) experience What Improves (Accelerator) Program Performance?
25. Startup Paradise: Ideas Moving Forward SULTANVENTURES @sultanventures Increased Corporate Engagement Focus on Hawaii strengths in high tech, STEM industries Focus on the Human Capital Support and Invest in Education Support and Promote Commercialization at UH Invest your time and provide guidance to a startup Encourage legislation to create an investor and startup friendly State
26. Startup Paradise: Conclusion SULTANVENTURES @sultanventures This presentation only skims the surface of the overall startup ecosystem activity that is occurring in Startup Paradise Hawaii. We at Sultan Ventures look forward to collaborating with future reports that include more data and detail, not only in terms of startup / investment activity, but also in terms of all of the holistic elements that create a successful ecosystem including activity from Co-Working / Incubator spaces, Government, Educators, Non-Proﬁts, Startup Initiatives, and other supporting entities. We hope this presentation sparks greater interest in Startup Paradise and ignites efforts of others to generate reports with more comprehensive data. And ﬁnally to all those involved in the startup community, locally and nationally, we hope this presentation helps shines some light on the amazing progress and momentum we have here in Hawaii. Aloha from Startup Paradise!
27. SULTAN VENTURES