Published on December 14, 2016
1. Success and Fame What is success and how does it lead to fame?
2. Task 1 Work with a group of four people. Brainstorm the following topic: ◦ What is success? ◦ Example: ◦ Success is making lots of money. ◦ Success is being recognized for your achievements.
3. Task 2 Do you agree with any of these quotes about success? Why? "Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get.“ ◦ -- B. R. Hayden "Failure is success if we learn from it." ◦ -- Malcolm S. Forbes "The most important single ingredient in the formula of success is knowing how to get along with people." ◦ -- Theodore Roosevelt "Success does not consist of never making mistakes but in never making the same one a second time." ◦ -- George Bernard Shaw
4. Task 3 On the next slide, you will see pictures of some celebrities. In your group, discuss: ◦ Who are they? ◦ Why are they famous? ◦ How did they become successful?
5. Task 4 This is a hot air balloon. If it is too heavy, it will fall out of the sky. In your group, choose four celebrities to put in the hot air balloon. However, there is only space for three people. Each person must defend one celebrity. State why they are successful. The least successful person will be thrown out!
6. Homework Task In your notebook, write five sentences about a famous person you admire.
7. Powerpoint Presentation by David S. Wills See my Teaching Resources website for more ESL activities. Check out TED-IELTS for specific IELTS activities.