Published on July 11, 2016
1. STREAMLINING PAPER PROCESSES IN A DIGITAL WORLD WHY SOME OF THE BEST OPPORTUNITIES FOR WORKFLOW EFFICIENCY CAN BE FOUND WHERE PAPER MEETS DIGITAL
2. We all know that ... DIGITAL PROCESSES STREAMLINE THE FLOW OF INFORMATION THEY ENABLE PEOPLE TO WORK FASTER AND SMARTER But we also know that... 2
3. MANY ORGANISATIONS STILL HAVE PAPER DOCUMENTS IN THEIR WORKFLOWS. And that can cause unnecessary problems... 3
4. 1 Bridging the Information Worker Productivity Gap, IDC Whitepaper, 2012 of information workers’ total time is spent dealing with problems and time-consuming tasks that arise with paper documents1 . 7% 4
5. 25% A quarter of that time is wasted due to fruitless searches and document duplication1 . 1 Bridging the Information Worker Productivity Gap, IDC Whitepaper, 2012 5
6. WHEN WE THINK ABOUT WHERE AND HOW THIS HAPPENS, some of the following may sound familiar… 6
7. You need to file or submit hard copies for compliance or regulatory reasons – policies, procedures, contracts, financial supporting documents and receipts. Or... You need a physical signature – on-boarding documents for new employees, time sheets, sick notes, holiday forms, staff records. Maybe you need to fill out forms by hand – expenses, service reports, customer contact details, questionnaires. 7
8. Or perhaps you’ve simply always used paper before… IN OTHER ORGANISATIONS, WE’RE SEEING THAT PAPER DOESN’T HAVE TO BE A PAIN. 8
9. ?Here are five questions to help you pinpoint areas where you might still be suffering ... ACROSS YOUR ORGANISATION THINK ABOUT … Mailroom Customer Service Logistics Distribution Finance HR Sales & Marketing 9
10. 1. How much time is wasted on processing paper documents or manually entering information? Think of all the situations where people are still typing in details from printed forms or from one set of electronic documents to another. Where are the highest volumes and where could those people better use their time? 2. How many errors result from rekeying data? From supplier payments to customer billing and contracts, this is a major productivity and compliance challenge. Are you currently measuring how many queries, revisions and rejections occur across your business processes? 3. How many documents are lost in your processes? Not easy to monitor – but you can get an idea by measuring and following up on third-party queries, approval delays and rejections in your business processes. Pay close attention to any areas where you use hard copy documents and handle them manually. 10
11. 4. How difficult is it to track, share and retrieve paper-based information? Look for symptoms like some areas of customer service being less responsive than others. Remote and mobile workers may be taking more time to approve critical documents like contracts and budgets. Management, finance and admin staff could be wasting time chasing queries, confirmations and sign-offs. Stressful and costly audits could also flag up difficulties checking back on who changed what, and why. 5. How much valuable space is taken up with paper archiving? Review which areas of your organisation still store paper and how long it’s kept. Could this information be stored in other ways and still meet regulatory requirements? Could you digitalise and centralise storage? What could you do with the space (and time) you’d free up? 11
12. e.g. And here are six examples of how you can make a positive difference... 12
13. . 1. Capture information from paper quickly and accurately using intelligent scanning technology – and integrate with your electronic document management This is a key stage in process automation – in most cases, this technology means your people won’t have to retype information from one document to another anymore. 2. Share the right information with the right people, in the right places Put in place policies that ensure information can only be sent to the right people, and will be stored securely. Automation can help enforce these policies and strengthen compliance. 13
14. 3. Easily monitor and track the progress of documents through your processes Use robust, user-friendly information management software in conjunction with smart scanning to speed up invoice processing, customer on- boarding, HR approvals and all sorts of other admin tasks. People can see at a glance where documents are in any approval or editing process – and what’s slowing things down. 4. Instantly find and retrieve the relevant information you need Once you’re digitising and processing documents effectively you can speed up access to all kinds of information. Intuitive search (through metadata, not just filenames) can be applied to areas like: • Supplier contracts and payments • Employee records • Company policies • Customer communications, deliveries and agreements. 14
15. 5. Eliminate unnecessary paper storage Filing cabinets still take up large amounts of space across organisations. By automating the digitisation of critical documents you can reduce or eliminate the need for hard copy storage and free up significant space and resources. 6. Improve transparency and reduce business risk Digitisation and information management software can make a big difference to the transparency of many processes. Consider supplier payments: being able to easily track any changes to an invoice throughout its history, and quickly access the supporting documentation, strengthens the audit trail and cuts Finance team workload. 15
16. WE CAN HELP ORGANISATIONS OF ALL SHAPES AND SIZES TRANSFORM THE WAY THEY WORK… …and we can help you too. We can work with you to seamlessly integrate paper and digital workflows, automating information capture, storage and distribution to accelerate operational performance. 16
17. WHEREVER YOU ARE ON YOUR JOURNEY TO PROCESS MODERNISATION, WE CAN HELP YOU GO FURTHER. 17
18. The following three examples show how small changes can have a big impact … Any document or electronic file can be instantly captured. From personnel records and property documents to student loans and education records, we have a one-stop-shop for information, in most cases eliminating the need to keep paper records. MICK COOK PROJECT MANAGER, NORTHUMBERLAND COUNTY COUNCIL “” 18
19. Our customer service representatives can email the customers the information they’re looking for straight away, without having to go through the hassle of first finding it in the archive, scanning it, emailing it and then filing it away again. KEITH WRIGHT GENERAL MANAGER, TEAM GLOBAL “” “” Now we know at all times where a document is and where it came from in the process. Moreover, we can assign permissions on the category level and down to a single document. This has resulted in greater agility and control of our work reports and invoicing. MICHAEL WAGER FINANCE DIRECTOR, ASTILLEROS DE MALLORCA 19
20. If there are any areas of particular interest that you would like to discuss further, or to set up a meeting please contact us. Or ask one of our experts to get in touch about how we can help you across your information and document management processes Telephone Number Email Partner Logo Accreditation Logo
Canon is a world leader and trusted advisor in the ... Streamlining paper processes in a digital world ... Integrating your paper and digital processes ...
Go paperless with the Canon range of imageFORMULA document scanners ... production scanners for digital ... your business processes, ...
Optimizing AP Streamlining the Accounts ... work and migrating from paper to digital ... Canon Business Process Services is one of the world ...
Document Management Strategies Streamlining the Accounts ... strategic work and migrating from paper to digital ... Canon Business Process ...
Canon for Financial Services ... This is where paper processes meet the digital world. ... as onboarding new clients by simplifying and streamlining ...
Insurance Outsourcing Services ... nology and migrate from a paper to digital workflow. ... ness Process Services, Inc. (Canon) ...
... and paper documents are likely a large part of these processes. In our digital world ... streamlining repetitive processes ... paper driven processes.
all over the world. The CLC-1, Canon’s first digital full-colour ... , Canon’s first plain-paper copying machine ... as Canon CEE GmbH)