Published on October 23, 2014
1. - Mixed metal oxides. - Cubic close packed system, cubic sites occupied by oxide ligand, which are weak field ligands. - Contain tetrahedral and octahedral holes Based on type of metal atom occupying them, they are classified into two types - i. Normal Spinels - Ii. Inverse Spinels or antispinels
2. » A+n represents a metal atom of charge +n occupying a tetrahedral site. » B+m represents a metal atom of charge +m occupying an octahedral site.
3. » Bivalent ions occupy tetrahedral sites, trivalent ions occupy octahedral sites. » General Formula : » A+2B2 +3 O4 OR (AII)tet(BIII)2 octO4 » E.g Mn3O4 (i.e Mn+2Mn2 +3O4 ) » MgAl2O4 (known as spinel), ZnFe2O4, FeCr2O4 (chromite) etc.
4. » All bivalent cations and half the trivalent cations in octahedral holes. The other half of trivalent cations are in tetrahedral holes. » General Formula B+2B+3A+3O4 or (BII)oct(BIII )oct(AIII)tetO4
5. » Since Oxide ions are weak field ligands, the cations are found in high spin configurations. » Finding out whether a given spinel is normal or inverse, can be done by calculating CFSE for both cases. » Greater the CFSE, more stable the structure and hence the spinel takes that structure.
6. » Value of 10Dq for a trivalent cation is 1.5 times more than that of a bivalent ion of the same element. » Value of 10Dq is reduced by a factor of 4/9 on going from an octahedral (B) site to a tetrahedral site.
7. Config CFSE d4 d5 d6 d7 Oct (B+2) 6 0 4 6 Oct (B+3) 9 0 6 9 Tet (A+2) 4/9x4 0 4/9x6 4/9x12 Tet (A+3) 2/3x4 0 2/3x6 2/3x12
8. » Predict spinel structure for i. Mn3O4 ii. Fe3O4 iii. Co3O4
How organisms adapt and survive in different environment.
Aplicación de ANOVA de una vía, modelo efectos fijos, en el problema de una empres...
Libros: Dra. Elisa Bertha Velázquez Rodríguez
In this talk we describe how the Fourth Paradigm for Data-Intensive Research is pr...
Spinel crystallizes in the isometric system; common crystal forms are octahedra, usually twinned. It has an imperfect octahedral cleavage and a conchoidal ...
Spinelle sind chemische Verbindungen des allgemeinen Typs AB 2 X 4, wobei A,B Metallkationen sind, deren Oxidationszahl die Summe 8 ergibt, und X ...
The spinel and ruby occur together in nature, stones from Burma being as often spinel as true Oriental ruby.
Spinel: collector's favourite. Spinel is the great impostor of gemstone history: many famous rubies in crown jewels around the world are actually spinels.
Spinel is a gemstone that occurs in a wide range of colors. Red and blue spinels have often been confused with ruby and sapphire.
Spinel, like garnet & diamond, is singly refractive, with the same physical properties in all crystal directions. It belongs to the cubic crystal system.
Spinel Group. Spinel-Hercynite Series, Gahnite-Spinel Series, and the Magnesiochromite-Spinel Series. Intensely coloured varieties due to incorporation of ...
Spinel is a hard vitreous magnesium aluminium oxide that has been used as a gemstone for centuries. The beauty of spinel has caused it to be mistaken for ...
Spinel is generally highly sought after by gem connoisseurs, and well-formed spinel crystals are in high demand among collectors. Spinel comes in a variety ...