Published on October 23, 2014
1. Software Engineering at RightScale Ali Khajeh-Hosseini @AliKhajeh Oct 2014, University of St Andrews
2. I’m here to talk about RightScale Cloud Analytics… and how we build it
3. Jan 2009: Started researching cloud cost forecasting in St Andrews Dec ‘11: With Hassan, we launched PlanForCloud Jul ‘12: Acquired by RightScale Nov ‘13: Launched Private-Beta of Cloud Analytics Mar ‘14: Cloud Analytics goes into Public-Beta Oct ‘14: Cloud Analytics is Generally Available The story so far…
4. What the heck is… a cloud?
8. Electricity, Water, Internet 2500 Servers
9. Taken from one of Dave Cliff’s talk on Cloud Computing
10. a cloud
11. Infrastructure-as-a-Service Platform-as-a-Service Software-as-a-Service Cloud Computing
12. Cloud Analytics helps users make decisions Cloud Management helps users take actions
13. Cloud spending is growing rapidly Cloud pricing is complicated… we scrape over 12,000 prices Need to monitor, forecast and optimize cloud spend The challenge
14. Connect to a cloud We regularly collect data
15. Slice and dice the data
16. See historic trends
17. Forecast costs based on switching clouds or increased growth
18. Who buys our products? Enterprises like Sony, EA Games, PBS, Pearson Publishing, Zynga…
19. Our Scale How many dev teams? How many code repos? How many instances? How much VC funding?
20. RightScale Engineering You’re shipping too late if you’re comfortable with what you’re shipping
21. Engineering Roles Product Manager: what should we build? Engineering Manager: how should we build it? Architects: design the systems UX: design the user experience Operations: deploy, scale and monitor systems Escalations: something just broke, who can fix it? Support/Docs: help customers use it Engineers: work with everyone to build and test it
22. Dev Process: Scrum 2 week sprints 1 day planning End of sprint demo Release Retro 2 weeks
23. Design Wikipages +Comments/discussions It’smostlyinformal No Word documents No UML diagrams
24. Planning Story:As a user I want to export report as PDF So that I can share it with others • Refactor simulation engine to… • Switch from Google charts to Highcharts • Generate PDF in background queue • … • Write tests • Code review Engineers breakdown stories into tasks Granularity: less than a day to complete
25. Estimation Play planning poker
26. Sprint calculations ================= Sprint Summary ================= Sprint Begins: 02/06/2014 Sprint Ends: 10/06/2014 Sprint Dura=on: 9 days Team: John, Joe, Jeﬀ, Jack Development: Vaca=on: 0 days Total Capacity: 200 hours -‐-‐ release issues: 10 -‐-‐ priority bugs: 30 -‐-‐ tech debt: 50 -‐-‐ backlog: 110 Start sprinting…
27. Daily standup (9:30am sharp) Answer: 1. What did you do yesterday? 2. What are going to do today? 3. Is anything blocking you?
28. Weekly release trains Merge your feature if it’s ready to ship that week
29. Code reviews
30. Good tests Positive tests Negative tests Fast tests
31. Continuous integration
32. Good test coverage
33. Exception handling
34. Issue tracking
35. Performance monitoring
48. Do they have fun? What’s their hiring process? Do they invest in good tools? What’s the team setup, and how often do they ship? Are people given freedom to experiment? Friday afternoon is our iTime What’s the level of transparency and trust? Open by Default What’s
51. Edinburgh, Santa Barbara and remote…
62. What do hackers want? Like all craftsmen, hackers like good tools. In fact, that's an understatement. Good hackers find it unbearable to use bad tools. They'll simply refuse to work on projects with the wrong infrastructure. Paul Graham on Great Hackers
63. Dev tools Invest
72. eng.rightscale.com Invest
Speaker: Matt Stine Developing for the Cloud Track Marc Andressen has famou...
This presentation explains how to develop a Web API in Java using (JAX-RS or Restl...
How to bring innovation to your organization by streamlining the deployment proces...
Cisco Call-control solutions can handle voice, video and data
Nathan Sharp of Siemens Energy recently spoke at the SAP Project Management in Atl...
5 RightScale reviews. ... RightScale Software Engineer Reviews. 5 reviews. Filter. ... Time wasted in engineering on suboptimal tools and compliance.
Get the RightScale Universal Cloud Management Platform to orchestrate, automate and govern applications across any cloud, any server, any container.
I gave the following guest lecture at the University of St Andrews today: We’ll be following-up with another blog post about some of the cool tools we ...
See the RightScale Engineering Blog for the latest projects and innovations we’re working on
RightScale - Software Engineer. Mon, Jun 27, 2016 3:00pm 15:00 ... Software Engineer. About. RightScale is transforming the way enterprises deliver IT, ...
Software Engineer at RightScale / Work In Startups ... women and people from underrepresented groups in software engineering to apply for ...
RightScale Management Team. Michael Crandell, CEO and Founder. ... and manager of software and systems engineering at Delco (now General Dynamics).
Average salaries for RightScale Software Engineer: $89,832. RightScale salary trends based on salaries posted anonymously by RightScale employees.
Here are the top 24 Sr. Software Engineer profiles at Rightscale on LinkedIn. Get all the articles, experts, jobs, and insights you need.