Published on March 11, 2016
1. Orientation fds Apprenticeship Opportunities and Risks
2. 1. Intro 2. State of Engineering Talent 3. Is Apprenticeship a Solution For You? 4. MAP 5. Learnings 6. Resources Outline
3. A leading Chicago design and engineering agency. 10 straight years of growth 40+ people 400 clients 60+ launches/yr 16.3M unique users in 2015
4. Chicago focus
5. State of Engineering Talent Ecosystem: 1. What is a junior engineer? a. CS degree, Bootcamp grad, 1 yr of experience, 2 years of experience? 1. Supply: Huge increase in pre-first job engineers a. Chicago bootcamps alone produce 200+ a year b. Big 10 schools graduating 100’s, but few know web-development 1. Demand: Increasing for all engineers w/ at least 1 year of experience a. Greater gap means more linkedin stalking from recruiters :( b. Also means a continued lack of mid-level engineers
6. What is an Apprenticeship? Guided mentorship in skilled profession, based on belief that the journeyman shows potential • Started in 1600’s • Strong history in Chicago • Varying skill levels • For people who have selected this work as a career • Paid a stipend • Set end date or skill goal
7. Is Apprenticeship A Solution For You? Should you? 1. Are you having trouble finding and hiring qualified juniors? 2. Do you require some hard to find skills, have lots of proprietary engineering process? 3. Is your team willing to use and pay recruiters, hire more internal hr resources, use job boards etc? Can you? 1. Do you have engineer bandwidth? 2. Are your engineers interested in mentoring? 3. Do you have space and work for apprentices?
8. Benefits and Costs Benefits • Increased clarity around hiring needs • Able to hire more diverse talent pool coming from non-CS programs • Junior Engineer loyalty • For existing team: – Deepened understanding of craft – Mentorship opps – Improved communication Costs • Time commitment: – For mentor (2-3 hours per apprentice per week) – Person organizing (up to 10 hours per week) • Cost if you pay apprentices • Difficult hiring decisions • If doing real work, mistakes could cause problems
9. Goal: Can we imagine this person being a great full-time hire three months from now? 1. Recruitment - 6 weeks prior a. Tested HTML/CSS/JS, MVC knowledge b. High Demand from applicants from bootcamps 2. Onboarding - 2 weeks prior a. Markup, CSS pre-work 3. Program w/ Individual mentor throughout - 10 Weeks a. Engineer led sessions to intro technology b. Week long projects to explore, learn, and get feedback c. Day long challenges to gauge progress d. More apprentice autonomy over time 4. Hiring - Week 11: a. Based on assessments, project evaluations, and mentor feedback Clique’s Modern Apprentice Program
10. Mentorship (Skill, Time) • Set time expectations as early as possible for mentors and mentees • Mentoring of juniors should be opt-in Appropriate content • Don’t assume knowledge: Our apprentices didn’t come in knowing enough front-end • Prioritize what you need an apprentice to learn vs. what would be nice for them to learn Evaluation and definition • Give 1 on 1 feedback consistently • Assessment skills at least every 2 weeks to make sure people are on track Takeaways from MAP 1.0
11. Any Questions? Resources: • Apprentice Patterns • Chicago Apprentice Series • Chicago Apprentice Meetup • Modern-apprentice.com • Thoughtbot’s Retrospective • Thoughtbot’s Apprentice Packet • White Paper on Apprentice Programs
... software, web and telecoms professionals ... Training opportunities; Types of apprenticeships; ... apprenticeship you could work as a software ...
Apprenticeship Software Development. Related Content Open Positions. Account Manager USA. Background Image Leave empty for none: Letter Color Leave empty ...
Health Profession Opportunity Grants and Registered Apprenticeship: Successes, Challenges, and Opportunities I. Introduction Many Americans struggle to ...
... Catch22 on the opportunities and challenges of the 3 million apprenticeship goal . ... place in apprenticeships with lots of opportunities and challenges.
Apprenticeship Opportunities & Challenges . For. ... Discussion Questions: What do you see as the opportunities and challenges facing the field of ...
challenges and opportunities for local government 1 September 2015 ... Some commentators have also framed further challenges to which apprenticeships
Proposal 7: Expanding Apprenticeship Opportunities in the United States Endnotes 1. ... Benefits and Challenges of Registered Apprenticeship:
Issues and Challenges for Apprenticeships. ...  In the UK, extensive work in this area has been conducted by the Equal Opportunities Commission ...
The software and hardware company SKIDATA with ... job opportunities and apprenticeships in ... and are you looking for new opportunities and challenges?