Published on September 29, 2015
1. School of Information Information Session Dr. Sandra Hirsh, Professor and Director September 29, 2015
2. 2 Agenda • About SJSU School of Information • Program Overview • Why SJSU? • Online Learning • Opportunities for Students • Q & A
3. 3 About SJSU’s iSchool • Accredited by: • American Library Association (ALA) • Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation (CAEP) • Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC) • Outstanding Online Program (Online Learning Consortium, 2014)
5. 5 48 States & 17 Countries Students Around the World
6. 6 Campus Photo Campus Photo
7. 7 Martin Luther King, Jr. Library
8. 8 ischool.sjsu.edu ischool.sjsu.edu
9. 9 iSchool Programs • Master of Library and Information Science (MLIS); includes Teacher Librarian program • Master of Archives and Records Administration (MARA) • Post-Master’s Certificate in Library and Information Science • Advanced Certificate in Strategic Management of Digital Assets and Services • San José Gateway PhD Program • Open Classes
10. 10 MLIS Degree: Program Snapshot • 43 units • 100% online • 15 courses: 6 required; 9 electives • Culminating experience: ePortfolio or Thesis • Admissions criteria: Bachelor’s degree (3.0+ GPA) • Application Deadlines • Spring 2016: 12/1/15 • Fall 2016: 5/1/16 • Contact: Dr. Linda Main firstname.lastname@example.org “Given the current trends in the field, I think this degree will give me a competitive edge over recent grads who completed a more traditional MLIS program.” MLIS graduate
11. 11 Teacher Librarian: Program Snapshot • 31 units • 100% online courses • 11 courses • Capstone experience: School Library Fieldwork • Admissions criteria: Bachelor’s degree (3.0+ GPA), Clear Professional Teaching Credential • Application Deadlines • Spring 2016: 12/1/15 • Fall 2016: 5/1/16 • Contact: Dr. Mary Ann Harlan email@example.com
12. 12 Exciting Pathways to Success Career Pathways: Which One Will You Choose?
13. 13 Customize your degree • Action Research • Big Data Analytics and Management • Children and Information Technology • Cybersecurity • Digital Assets Management • Digital Humanities • Drupal and Content Management Systems • Embedded Librarians • Evaluating Programs and Services • Gaming • Genealogy • Film & Media • Graphic Novels • Information Visualization • Information Literacy & Learning • And many more
14. 14 What can you do with an MLIS degree? Librarian Technology trainer Records manager Web developer Database designer Cataloger Digital assets manager Researcher Information architect Archivist Teacher librarian Literacy specialist Knowledge manager Information broker Emerging services librarian Director of digital content E-librarian Metadata librarian Outreach librarian Virtual services librarian “It was an obvious choice to hire someone from SJSU who has been groomed for library leadership in rethinking information and library innovation.” Dr. Leslie Garguilo, Ashworth College
15. 15 MLIS Career Trends 2015 • Technology Skills: Emphasis on the ability to use multiple databases, library systems, and office software applications. • Digital and Analog Content: Experience with nimbly navigating, describing, and preserving both analog and digital content. • Virtual Services: Expanding scope of research and references services to encompass the support of remote/virtual queries. • Broader Job Opportunities: Increasingly recruiting LIS professionals for corporate jobs such as user experience designer, knowledge manager, and business requirements analyst. San Jose State University iSchool offers the curriculum and training to prepare its graduates to meet evolving job trends.
16. 16 MARA Degree: Program Snapshot • 42 units • 100% online • 14 courses: 11 required; 3 electives (can also take MLIS electives) • Culminating experience (all students): ePortfolio • Admissions criteria: Bachelor’s degree (3.0+ GPA) • Application Deadlines • Spring 2016: 12/1/15 • Fall 2016: 5/1/16 • Contact: Dr. Pat Franks firstname.lastname@example.org
17. 17 What Can You Do With a MARA degree? • Provide guidance, analysis, procedures, training and solutions on all Records and Information Management issues. • Research and monitor legal, regulatory and industry- specific compliance requirements and identify areas of focus for improvement. • Work with security, legal compliance, risk management and IT to address risks identified. • Partner with IT on strategies and operations related to data lifecycle management and electronic record requirements. • Develop and ensure the long term preservation, organization, distribution and retrieval of digitized, born-digital, and traditional institutional assets. “I believe the MARA program will give me a competitive edge in the records and information management field.” MARA graduate
18. 18 MARA Graduates Are Prepared for Careers as: • Compliance Analysts • Corporate Archivists • Data Curators • Digital Asset Managers • Electronic Records Managers • Enterprise Content Management Specialists • Information Governance Analysts • Public Records Managers
19. 19 Post-Master’s Certificate: Program Snapshot • 16 units • 100% online • Admissions Requirement: Master’s degree in any discipline • Application Deadlines • Spring 2016: 12/1/15 • Fall 2016: 5/1/16 • Contact: Dr. Linda Main email@example.com
20. 20 7 Post Master’s Certificate Career Pathways • Digital Archives & Records Management • Digital Curation • Digital Services & Emerging Technologies • Information Intermediation & Instruction • Leadership and Management • Web Programming and Information Architecture • Youth Services “The online format is very user- friendly and fits nicely into the schedule of the already-working adult. If a student would like to freshen up their skills, or choose a completely different career trajectory, the Post-Masters Certificate can definitely meet these needs.” PMC Graduate
21. 21 Advanced Certificate in Strategic Management of Digital Assets and Services: Program Snapshot – NEW • 9 units • 100% online • Admissions Requirement: Bachelor’s degree in any discipline • Application Deadlines • Spring 2016: 12/1/15 • Fall 2016: 5/1/16 • Contact: Dr. Linda Main firstname.lastname@example.org MLIS/MARA students may obtain both the certificate and the master’s degree using the same classes.
22. 22 3 Advanced Certificate Career Pathways • Digital Assets Management • Information Governance, Assurance and Security • Data Analytics and Data Driven Decision Making Program Requirements: 1. Complete 9 units in one pathway with 3.0 GPA 2. Create digital portfolio (blog) to demonstrate competency and to show how you meet program learning outcomes
23. 23 San Jose Gateway PhD: Program Snapshot • Program characteristics: • Research focused; individually tailored program for each student • Exceptional faculty; students receive support from both SJSU and QUT teams • No course work required; part-time students • 4-6 years average expected completion time • Mostly online (one 1-week residency in San Jose, CA required every year) • Virtual Info Session: Thursday 10/1 5-6pm • Contact: Dr. Cheryl Stenstrom email@example.com Offered in partnership with Queensland University of Technology
24. 24 Open Classes: Program Snapshot • 100% online • Elective courses available on space available basis • Admissions Requirement: Bachelor’s degree or higher • Courses are for college credit and can be transferred into our master’s programs • Available Fall, Spring and Summer Sessions (12/1 – request classes for Spring 2016) • Contact: Dr. Linda Main firstname.lastname@example.org
25. 25 Why SJSU? • Quality - ALA accredited - “Outstanding Online Program” Award 2014 - Award-winning faculty (experts in online teaching) - Program performance - Introductory course for a strong start - Variety of curriculum - Student exposure to new technologies • Flexibility • Cost “The online format is convenient for location and time management. The variety of classes is great and allows you to sample many different aspects of the field.” Exit Survey Student Comment
26. 26 Why SJSU? • Quality • Flexibility – Location – Part-time or full-time – Ability to vary course load each semester – Time of day (or night) – Variety of online class formats • Cost
27. 27 Why SJSU? • Quality • Flexible • Cost - Scholarships (MLIS, MARA, PMC, and TL students are eligible to apply for federal financial aid) - Research Assistant Opportunities
28. 28 Scholarship for New Students • Director’s Scholarship for Excellence • New MLIS students in Spring 2016 are eligible • $1,000 to five students in Spring • Minimum GPA 3.5; Create a Pinterest board
29. 29 Online Learning: Benefits • Flexibility • Technology literacy and fluency • Improved student achievement “Using these communication technologies in the learning environment was fun, and it was also part of my training as a real- world information professional.” Kate Tasker MLIS Graduate
30. 30 Online Learning: Myths • Online classes are easier • Online classes require less time • Students don’t learn as much
31. 31 Online Learning: Personal Requirements for Success • Self-discipline • Time management • Motivation • Networking • Career development • Internships (On site/Virtual) • Award-winning professional association student chapters – virtual and regional meet ups • Free one-year professional association memberships (ALA, SLA, ASIS&T, SAA) • Joint student/alumni association • Conference receptions
32. 32 What Does 100% Online Look Like? • Everyone is online – students and faculty • Coursework and instruction designed for online learning • Online access to faculty office hours, academic advising, and student support services • Dedicated career liaison, library liaison, technology support team, online student advisor • Rich online learning environment and technology
33. 33 Communication is both Asynchronous & Synchronous Asynchronous Discussion Forums Video Messaging Email Learning Management System (Canvas) Lecture Capture (Panopto) Synchronous Web Conferencing (Collaborate, WebEx) VoIP (Skype, Google+, etc) Virtual Worlds (Second Life) Blackboard IM
34. 34 How do new students know what to do? • INFO 203 • New Student Checklist
35. 35 What kinds of opportunities are available for Online Students?
36. 36 Prepare For Your Future Career • Career blog • Career colloquia and webinars • Web resources • Career consultant • Online newsletters • Career center membership post graduation • ePortfolio as job portfolio • Alumni Career Spotlights • and more!
37. 37 Gain Practical Experience • Internships (on site/virtual) • Research assistantships • Peer mentors
38. 38 Develop Your Professional Network • Award-winning professional association student chapters • Professional association memberships • Joint student/alumni association (iSchoolConnext)
39. 39 Publish Student Research • iSchool has its own Student Research Journal • Peer-reviewed publication • Promotes graduate scholarship and intellectual inquiry in the fields of library and information science, archives and records management, and museum studies.
40. 40 Pursue Lifelong Learning/Professional Development Opportunities • Library 2.015 Annual Conference “Tools, Skills, and Competencies” • 10/20 7am-8pm • Colloquia • TONIGHT 9/29 5:30pm: “Information Professionals within the Digital Government Complex: Why We Will Matter More and Not Less” • 11/10 at 2:30 pm “Early Childhood Literacy and the Importance of Addressing the Whole Child through Multi-Literacy Experiences” • ALA e-courses
41. 41 Want to learn more? • Attend a virtual open house (link) • Visit our website (link) • Attend colloquia and other programs (link) • Learn about our students/alumni (link) • Stay connected/sign up for our newsletters (link) • Read about our program: • Student perspective (link) • Faculty perspective: (link) • Online learning environment (link)
42. 42 Questions?
43. 43 Thank you for attending! THANK YOU! Dr. Sandy Hirsh, Professor and Director email@example.com Facebook: facebook.com/sjsuischool Twitter: twitter.com/sjsuischool Pinterest: pinterest.com/sjsuischool/ YouTube: youtube.com/user/sjsuslis ischool.sjsu.edu
SJSU iSchool, Outstanding Online Program Award winner. Choose from two graduate programs, a post-master’s certificate program, or doctoral program.
| Regular Session | Special Session | There are two types of fee structures for School of Information students, Regular Session and Special Session. See ...
SJSU School of Information, San Jose, CA. 4,999 likes · 68 talking about this · 111 were here. Welcome to our global community of information...
Canvas is the Learning Management System -LMS- for the SJSU iSchool -formerly SJSU SLIS School of Library and Information Science- The iSchool offers an ...
The San Jose State University (SJSU) School of Information's YouTube Channel features academic presentations, career development webinars, guest lectures ...
Contact SJSU iSchool; ... New Student Checklist MLIS Special Session ... look over the "Current Students" section which contains links to information you ...
SJSU iSchool @ SJSUiSchool. The iSchool at San Jose State University prepares information professionals for tomorrow's job market.
Tuesday, 29 September 2015. Please join Dr. Sandra Hirsh, professor and director of the SJSU School of Information, on Tuesday, September 29, 2015, for a