Published on June 16, 2016
1. Size matters Mainframes run the world. Alex Huart email@example.com Chief Evangelist Officer Cologne, June 2016 10 largest insurance companies run on zSystems Millions of Instructions Per Second http://www-03.ibm.com/systems/z/
2. Mainframe today is all about software COBOL ,PL/I, ASM 370 DB2, IMS/DB, VSAM CICS, IMS/DC JCL Scheduling
3. Common wisdom Keep running it Maintain it Increase functionalities Monitor the cost Rationalization Consolidation Strategic plans for rewriting Automated translation Zuberistan rewriting projects
4. But size matters Complexity No express lane on time scale No prototyping on production
5. Millennial effects No single one young and brilliant programmer is interested in COBOL PL/I ASM370 CICS …
6. Mobile business effects Driven by your marketing and sales people Mobile connections ADD UP to web connections 2000: one user = 1 device 2016: one user = 3 to 4 devices 0 200 400 600 800 1000 1200 1400 Business Cost More connections Direct impact on MIPS
7. How to break the circle ? Modernize – Available Resources – Within Budget – Keep Production Running
8. Process in a nutshell Keep the existing code “as it is” including oddities Recompile on .NET Manage the risk Run the same code in parallel on the same DB Monitor results until you build confidence Switch DB when ready Steady secure process
9. Modernization is INCREMENTAL Application runs in.NET Use Visual Studio No one is forced now to write a line of code in COBOL or PL/I C# calls or (is called) COBOL, PL/I, ASM370 Positive evolution of the existing code
10. Technology 21st century compiler for ASM370, PL/I & COBOL .NET native Oddities managed (CICS, DB2, IMS/DB, IMS/DC, VSAM, JCL…) Developed in Brussels, Belgium A team of 40 engineers & PhD from 16 nationalities Selling worldwide 2 Microsoft Technology Awards (2014, 2016) www.raincode.com
11. Next logical steps Deep dive in your existing environment & Raincode technology Identify quick wins to save MIPS Code review for critical processes Make a plan and fix deadlines to modernize your applications They did it because they didn’t know it was impossible.
12. Vielen Dank !
13. 45 Rue de la Caserne B-1000 Brussels, Belgium 13245 Atlantic Boulevard. Suite 4-263 Jacksonville, FL 32225, USA RAINCODE HEADQUARTERS RAINCODE USA +32 2 522 06 63 +1 412.552.8207 firstname.lastname@example.org email@example.com www.raincode.com