Published on April 12, 2016
1. Show, don’t tell Contributed to ibatefl.com by Ahmed Nasir
2. Let’s analyse people’s body language, facial expressions, gestures and body postures.
3. A picture is worth a thousand words
4. If a picture is worth a thousand words, can you tell how are they feeling? What are the clues?
5. There was a loud storm last night. Smash! The window cracked, the wind howled and the door slammed upon. Boring ! That’s better !
6. I was excited about my party. I threw on my favourite red dress and scrambled down the stairs as fast as I could. It was my 7th b’day party. Boring ! That’s better !
7. • Ways to show use adjectives Include adverbs Add specific nouns Use similes Use onomatopoeia Include exclamatory sentences Include expressions & voice Use hyperboles Good writers show, they don’t tell !!
8. Surprised - Crouching - Eyes wide - Shaking - Trembling feet - Hands on cheeks Embarrassed - Head down - Red face / blushing - Hiding - Eyes back and forth
9. Having fun - Playing - Giggling - jumping - Sticking out tongue - Smiling Feeling sick - Complaining - Holding stomach - Blow nose - Droopy eyes - Lay down Confused Proud