Published on February 17, 2014
Should employees have access to Social Media Sites at work? © Copyright 2014 Jagriti Prasad
The recent trend shows that many companies are restricting access to Social Media Sites at work for the employees. The employers have the view that employees take multiple breaks to spend time on such sites, which in turn lead to loss in productivity. © Copyright 2014 Jagriti Prasad
One thing is to keep in mind is that employees already have access to Social Media Sites via personal devices. A Social Media policy should include all usage including usage during work hours on personal devices. © Copyright 2014 Jagriti Prasad
In my view, allowing access to Social Media Sites at work to the employees should depend on the type of business a company is mainly into. © Copyright 2014 Jagriti Prasad
Social Media at work should not be allowed in - © Copyright 2014 Jagriti Prasad
Companies in which Data privacy is required In such companies use of Social Media Sites are to be restricted at work, use of any type of Smartphone should also be not allowed as the employees can access Social Media Sites on Smartphone and get the information out of the company premises. © Copyright 2014 Jagriti Prasad
Example – Companies dealing in collections of the credit cards. © Copyright 2014 Jagriti Prasad
Companies which require customers to pay over the phone by card or cheque. © Copyright 2014 Jagriti Prasad
Companies dealing with customers personal and financial information. © Copyright 2014 Jagriti Prasad
Companies dealing in Insurance. © Copyright 2014 Jagriti Prasad
Companies in which work requires full focus of the employee © Copyright 2014 Jagriti Prasad
Allowing Social Media access in such businesses might lead to – • Distraction to employees at work. • Time wastage - Social Media can be addicting and time consuming. • Increase Unproductive time - Employees can easily consume hours of time on Social Media websites. © Copyright 2014 Jagriti Prasad
Social Media at work should be allowed in - © Copyright 2014 Jagriti Prasad
Company in which the work is done in small tasks and there are daily targets for the employees As the task is done in parts, the employees having access to Social Media can use it to take small break after one task is completed. Such small beaks will lead to – © Copyright 2014 Jagriti Prasad
Increase in productivity Small refreshing breaks will help the employees in being more productive at work. © Copyright 2014 Jagriti Prasad
Increase energy and stamina - Studies show that employee’s energy levels and stamina improves by as much as 25% after taking breaks throughout the day. © Copyright 2014 Jagriti Prasad
Companies in which productivity of an employee is measured by the quantity and quality of the work Productivity is not a measure of the time employees spend at work engaged in non-work activities. It’s a measure of output. Use of Social Media can actually help increase output. The employee should be measured on the target achieved and the quality maintained. In this case, access to Social Media Sites will help employees to refresh themselves and their minds. © Copyright 2014 Jagriti Prasad
HR consultancy firms Allowing access to Social Media Sites to employees in such businesses will be of great help. • The employees can take help of LinkedIn to get the right candidate for the right job. • The job postings can be done on Facebook pages, on different groups on Facebook, LinkedIn page, LinkedIn groups and on Twitter, requesting interested candidates to apply for the job. © Copyright 2014 Jagriti Prasad
• • • • HR consultancy firms can take the help of Social Media Sites for Business Opportunities, Contact Generation, Recruitment, and Crowd Sourcing. Posting job openings on different Social Media Sites will also help in increasing traffic on the company’s website. © Copyright 2014 Jagriti Prasad
Advertisement agency Advertisement agencies should allow access to Social Media Sites to employees at work as these sites can help them in – • Brand building with the customer, • Help in getting Customer feedback/ ratings about the goods. • The Social Media Sites can be used to get the content go dynamic, you have to give audience something unique that they can't get elsewhere, also give them a reason to shout about it. If you get those things right, you can achieve massive return on investment (ROI). © Copyright 2014 Jagriti Prasad
• YouTube can be of a great help to run advertising campaigns. • Employees of such firm can help the content reach to maximum number of audience by sharing the content on their own pages. • The employer should encourage the employees to use Social Media Sites while at work. © Copyright 2014 Jagriti Prasad
Companies selling goods and services • • • • • Social Media Sites help in Increasing the sales by lead generation, Increasing the number of customer, Helps with Customer Relationship Management (CRM), Query resolution (if any), and Increase repeated visits on the website. © Copyright 2014 Jagriti Prasad
• Customers can be updated with the availability of the particular items in the store or website. • Product descriptions can also be shared with the audiences on Social Networking Sites. • Companies can take help of Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, and Instagram to promote the product line. © Copyright 2014 Jagriti Prasad
• Employees of such organisations can be encouraged to use the Social Media Sites and spread the word in each of their friend circles. • Employees can help the company by answering to any questions or queries regarding the product on behalf of the company. • Here, allowing access to the employees would be of great help as no one person will be responsible for promoting the products of the company. • Employees will feel more engaged with the companies work and will be more loyal to the company. © Copyright 2014 Jagriti Prasad
Summary • Blocking Social Media access can reduce productivity of employees, as the employees will spend more time finding a way to the sites they want to visit. • Social Media is already a part of daily life. • Employees can be responsible with their Social Media use at work. • There will always be employees who will waste productive time at work. © Copyright 2014 Jagriti Prasad
• Business should have a clear Social Media access policy. • Social Media access policy should clearly state what is allowed and what is not allowed to access. • Employer should encourage the employees to use the Social Media in a right manner and in favor of the business. © Copyright 2014 Jagriti Prasad
Thanks! Jagriti Prasad firstname.lastname@example.org twitter.com/JagritiPrasad1 www.linkedin.com/in/jagritiprasad www.slideshare.net/JagritiPrasad https://plus.google.com/jagritiprasad http://jagritiprasad.wordpress.com © Copyright 2014 Jagriti Prasad
Hospital employees have come under criticism ... and public social media, companies should ask for access to employees ... sites shouldn't ...
Social Media Should Employees Access Social ... block social media access employees have at ... those sites. For example, most people have social ...
Some employers are blocking social media access in the workplace. ... A variety of fears have led to the ... employees to use social media sites while at ...
/ Should Employees Access Social Media ... block social media access employees have at ... media is a way to vent. Employees should be ...
Social Media and Employee Rights ... employees should know they do have some ... knowing or intentional unauthorized access to social media sites or ...
And when an unlimited access to all social media sites is ... of social media websites on workplaces. Have ... employees to social network sites is ...
Jack Wallen says employees should have access to social networking sites ... employees should have access to social ... social media access) ...
Employer Access to Employee Social Media: ... to inspect or gain access to employees’ personal social media in ... Social media sites are ...
Should Employees be Allowed Access to ... that showed that access to social media for 10 minutes during a ... you agree they should have access or ...