Published on October 15, 2014
1. 10 (7) Secrets to Success inContent Initiatives Joe Gollner @joegollner
2. Seven (7) Secretsgrounded in theFundamentals of Lean ManufacturingIs it Ten or Seven Secrets? Why not both? Three (3) Secretsgrounded in theBasics of Management & Leadership
3. Seven Secrets derived from Lean Manufacturing
4. 1. Get Together
5. 1. Get Together –Concurrent Engineering Project Success will always start with getting the right people in the room from the outset Inter-disciplinary Collaboration Cross-functionalCoordination Integrated Product Teams Silo busting Challengingbut essential
6. 2. Try Before You Buy
7. Technology is not neutral The tools you select will alter your world & thus requirements These impacts must be explored before commitments are made2. Try Before You Buy –Prototyping & Piloting
8. 2. Try Before You Buy –Buyer Beware How you acquire your toolswill have more to do with your success (or failure) than what you buy
9. 3. There’s an App for That
10. Automation can be leveraged to accelerate your progress Expedite content acquisition, delivery, management, and use It is not about finding Silver Bullets It is about deploying automation effectively & sustainably3. There’s an App for That –Leveraging Automation
11. 4. Throw Yourself into the Numbers
12. 4. Throw Yourself into the Numbers –Essential Tools Content Practiceshave historically avoided quantification Measurement & Analysis are both necessary & expected It is how progress is expressed & understood It is how progress is tracked & adjusted
13. 5. Think Small
14. 5. Think Small –Focus on Content Components Exploit the possibilities that come when your contentis modularized for efficient management & reuse
15. Maxim: Use simple things to do complex taskseven if the reverse is the more common practice5. Think Small –Also Applies to Tools and Techniques
16. 6. Walk the Talk
17. 6. Walk the Talk –Articulated Processes Business RequirementsUser NeedsPolitical FactorsBudget RealitiesDemonstration CapabilityReference ImplementationProduction DeploymentContinuous ImprovementAppliedContentTechnologiesContent StandardsBest PracticesOpen SourceCommercialContentStrategyLeanMethodologyDiscoverDesignDevelopDemonstrateDeployLean Content SolutionProcessStepProcessStepContentAssetsValidation & AnalysisContent SpecificationsProcessInformation
18. 7. Build to Last
19. Has been working since 1410 (600+ years) Very complex operationsBuild to Last –Prague Astronomical Clock (Orloj) Documented operations Accessible & Maintainablemechanisms Good Materials
20. Three Secrets from Basics in Management & Leadership
21. 8. Speak Management
22. 8. Speak Management –Show Me the Money!
23. Supplier Appreciation Gala Standing in the drink lineMe:Hi there! Who are you with? Well-Dressed Man:I am the President of Boeing. What do you do for us? Me:… 8. Speak Management –Emergency Elevator Pitch
24. 9. Lead the Way
25. In its essence, Leadership is abouttaking responsibility This is why it is actually a rather rare commodity By taking responsibility, a Leader provides space for others to try new things And get away with it It can involve demonstrating what mistakes look like9. Lead the Way –Means Leading from the Front
26. 10. Follow the Content
27. 10. Follow the Content – the Full Content Life Cycle The Content Life Cycle channels information products into the “world” where they are used to do things and from this emerges feedback. Content Acquisition Content Management Content Engagement Content Delivery Content Strategy Information Product User Task Guidance Feedback A Content Strategy will define what content is needed and why, and then guide the Content Life Cycle to achieve and advance these goals
28. 10. Follow the Content –Connecting Intelligences It is vitally important work It is how organizations function… The business of Communication is about connecting the work of different specialists And connecting that work to the work that someone has to perform elsewhere
29. 1.Get TogetherLeverage Concurrent Engineering 2.Try before you buyPrototype and Pilot before buying 3.There’s an App for thatLeverage automation relentlessly 4.Throw yourself into the numbersMeasure & analyze everything 5.Think SmallBreak everything into smallest viable units 6.Walk the TalkImplement & improve articulated processes 7.Build to LastLeverage standards, openness & experienceReview: Seven Secrets from Lean Manufacturing
30. 1.Speak ManagementBecome part of the Management Team & bring benefits to the party 2.Lead the WayBecome the Leader that will be needed to make the necessary changes 3.Follow the ContentStay focused on the nature, origins & uses of your Organization’s ContentReview: Three Secrets for Management & Leadership
31. In a Nutshell –It’s Your Content. Own it!
32. ArsContenta Joe GollnerManaging DirectorGnostyxResearch Inc. 1 Rideau Street, Suite email@example.comTwitter: @joegollnerBlog: The Content Philosopher www.gollner.ca Aqua Mechanica
Rank tracker is a tool that helps everyone to find the traffic which a particular ...
Cartes interactives, frises chronologiques, diaporamas, carte Google Streetview in...
... Secrets to Success in Content Initiatives: ... Keynote Presentation at Lavacon 2014. ... to Successful Content Initiatives Joe Gollner, ...
... Joe Gollner will take stock of what we have collectively learned over the years and distill all of this down to a top ten list of secrets to content ...
... #ContentStrategy #TechComm | Infosnackers Guide to the Galaxy: Embracing Short Form, Ephemeral & Realtime Content - LAVACON2014, Content ...
The talk was called Ten Secrets to Content Initiative Success ... Secrets to Content Initiative Success (Gollner Lavacon 2014) from Joe Gollner.
Oct 17, 2014 ... Secrets to Content Initiative Success (Gollner Lavacon 2014) Joe Gollner 1,134 views · A Content .... Kristina Halvorson · (7 ...
Conference Appearances. ... Ten Secrets to Content Initiative Success. Lavacon 2014 (Portland OR, 2014) ... Secrets of DITA Success.
... Relationship trust @dr_herman #LavaCon Pre-Content Strategy ... Content Roadmap Lavacon 2014. ... Content Initiative Success (Gollner Lavacon ...
Be Initiative Articles, experts, jobs, and more: get all the professional insights you need on LinkedIn