Published on December 16, 2016
1. GET FOUND MADISON SEARCH ENGINE OPTIMIZATION (SEO) FOR SMALL BUSINESSES – WHY AND HOW
2. POTENTIAL LEADS FOR LOCAL BUSINESSES Your Network Word of Mouth Referrals Inbound Calls Walk-ins
3. HOW MANY SEARCHES PER DAY START HERE? ▸ 3.5 Billion Source: http://www.internetlivestats.com/google-search-statistics/
4. FROM GOOGLE WHAT PERCENT OF SEARCHES ARE LOCAL? ▸ More than 20% on desktop ▸ 40% on mobile Source: https://googleblog.blogspot.com/2011/10/ads-are-just-answers.html
5. CUSTOMER SEARCHES START HERE
6. AND THEY END HERE
7. YOUR RANK ON THE RESULTS PAGE MATTERS Source: https://moz.com/blog/google-organic-click-through-rates-in-2014
8. YOUR RANK ON THE RESULTS PAGE MATTERS Source: https://moz.com/blog/google-organic-click-through-rates-in-2014
9. THE NEW PHONEBOOK ONLY HAS TEN SPOTS
10. FROM A GOOGLE STUDY UNDERSTANDING CONSUMERS’ LOCAL SEARCH BEHAVIOR ▸ 4 in 5 consumers use search engines to find local information
11. FROM A GOOGLE STUDY UNDERSTANDING CONSUMERS’ LOCAL SEARCH BEHAVIOR ▸ They search on smartphone, computer and tablet for: ▸ store address ▸ business hours ▸ product availability ▸ directions ▸ phone number
12. ▸ 50% of consumers who conducted a local search on their smartphone visited a store within a day ▸ 18% led to a sale that day FROM A GOOGLE STUDY UNDERSTANDING CONSUMERS’ LOCAL SEARCH BEHAVIOR Source: https://think.storage.googleapis.com/docs/how-advertisers-can-extend-their-relevance-with-searc
13. QUICK REVIEW
14. POTENTIAL LEADS FOR LOCAL BUSINESSES Network Word of Mouth Inbound Calls Walk-ins
15. ▸ People search for local services online every day ▸ They only click the top results ▸ Then they buy QUICK REVIEW
16. ▸ It’s worth money to be on the top half of the first page of results THEREFORE…
17. SO HOW DOES A BUSINESS GET TO THE TOP OF THE RESULTS? (TWO WAYS)
18. RUN GOOGLE ADWORDS AND PAY PER CLICK (PPC)
19. REACH TARGETED TRAFFIC, UNLIKE A TRADITIONAL AD
20. OR RANK “ORGANICALLY” WITH SEARCH ENGINE OPTIMIZATION (SEO)
21. JUST LIKE STARTING YOUR BUSINESS NAME WITH AA?
22. SEARCH ENGINE OPTIMIZATION (SEO): THINK LIKE THE SEARCH ENGINE
23. HOW SEARCH ENGINES USED TO WORK
24. THEY WOULD CRAWL AND INDEX WEB PAGES…
25. HOW WEBSITE OWNERS REACTED
26. KEYWORD STUFFING
27. HOW SEARCH ENGINES WORK NOW
28. THEY CRAWL AND INDEX THE WEB’S CONNECTIONS…
29. …AND ASSIGN “PAGE RANK” BASED ON KEYWORDS AND INCOMING LINKS (LARRY PAGE OF GOOGLE)
30. BECAUSE THE BEST SITES TEND TO HAVE MORE LINKS TO THEM
31. SO NOW A SEARCH BRINGS UP THE HIGHEST “PAGE RANK” SITES WITH RELEVANT KEYWORDS
32. AND GOOGLING “MEN’S HAIRCUT MADISON” BRINGS UP THESE RESULTS
33. WHAT KEYWORDS SHOULD I TARGET?
34. ▸ Volume: people search them frequently enough ▸ Intent: they indicate the person searching is interested in paying for your services ▸ Competition: they aren’t too difficult to rank on the first page in a local search TARGET KEYWORDS SHOULD MEET THESE CRITERIA
35. GOOGLE KEYWORD PLANNER CAN HELP ESTIMATE VOLUME
36. GOOGLE TRENDS CAN ALSO BE USEFUL
37. WHAT DO I DO WITH MY TARGET KEYWORDS ONCE I KNOW THEM?
38. ONSITE SEO: RE-VAMP YOUR WEBSITE TO TARGET YOUR KEYWORDS ▸ Create separate pages for separate services ▸ Include keywords in: ▸ URLs ▸ Titles ▸ Meta Descriptions ▸ Headlines ▸ Photo tags and descriptions ▸ Internal Links
39. WHAT ABOUT ALL THOSE CONNECTIONS TO MY SITE?
40. ENSURE CONSISTENT DIRECTORY LISTINGS ACROSS THE WEB ▸ Standardize how you format: ▸ Name ▸ address ▸ phone # ▸ website ▸ email
41. ENSURE CONSISTENT DIRECTORY LISTINGS ACROSS THE WEB ▸ Then list your business on the most important directories ▸ Clean up any duplicates ▸ Correct any variations or inaccuracies
42. CLAIM AND CORRECTLY CATEGORIZE YOUR GOOGLE MY BUSINESS SITE ▸ Build up your reviews ▸ Link back to your website ▸ Include target keywords in description and photos
43. THEN BEGIN OUTREACH FOR LINKS FROM OTHER WEBSITES ▸ Target pertinent businesses, blogs, or other sites ▸ Partners ▸ Volunteer orgs ▸ Industry associations ▸ Mentions of your brand that aren’t linked ▸ Guest blog opportunities
44. CREATE AND POST UNIQUE, USEFUL CONTENT REGULARLY ▸ Create unique content for others to share ▸ Blog posts on common questions or little known aspects of your industry ▸ YouTube videos ▸ Before/after pictures of jobs you’ve done
45. HOW DO I KNOW IF I NEED SEO?
46. CLEAR WHAT GOOGLE KNOWS ABOUT YOU, THEN SEARCH FOR YOUR SERVICES LIKE SOMEONE WHO’S NEVER HEARD OF YOU
47. HOW DO I KNOW SEO IS DOING ANY GOOD?
48. TRACK YOUR PROGRESS USING METRICS ▸ Average rank for top keywords ▸ Impressions on result pages ▸ Clicks to your site from organic search ▸ Duration spent onsite ▸ First time website visitors ▸ Conversions: how did new customers find you? ▸ Ask in person or by phone, and keep responses in a spreadsheet by month
49. TRACK YOUR PROGRESS USING METRICS - RANKING
50. TRACK YOUR PROGRESS USING METRICS - TRAFFIC
51. TRACK YOUR PROGRESS USING METRICS – ORGANIC TRAFFIC
52. HOW DO I KNOW MY RETURN ON INVESTMENT (ROI)?
53. METRICS MEASURE YOUR MARKETING FUNNEL FROM TOP TO BOTTOM ▸ Bottom is trickiest in local SEO ▸ Number of new leads who found you online ▸ Manually measure in person ▸ Track online if you have a “conversion event” ▸ Book Now! ▸ Call Us!
54. WHAT KIND OF RESULTS CAN I EXPECT?
55. RESULTS IT DEPENDS ON HOW COMPETITIVE YOUR LOCAL INDUSTRY IS ▸ Low competition: ▸ the third-place listing has < 5 Google or Yelp reviews or under 10 backlinks ▸ You could start ranking in ~ the top 5 spots in 3-4 months ▸ Medium competition: ▸ the third-place listing has < 10 Google or Yelp reviews and about 10-20 backlinks ▸ You could start ranking in ~ the top 5 spots in 6 months ▸ High competition: ▸ the third-place listing has >10 Google or Yelp reviews and > 20 backlinks ▸ Expect to invest in SEO for a year or more to rank in the top 5
56. WHAT SHOULD I DO FOR MY OWN SEO?
57. DO-IT-YOURSELF SEO STEPS ▸ Claim your Google My Business page ▸ Add 5-10 good photos with descriptions ▸ Send customers a link to review you on Google ▸ Ensure you have a webpage for each service with 300 words of text, target keywords and good pictures ▸ List your business information accurately on as many directories as possible ▸ Blog or post other content regularly ▸ Constantly do outreach for links from other websites
58. HOW DOES AN SEO FIRM WORK?
59. PROJECTS, MONTHLY RETAINER, HOURLY ▸ Initial Campaign ▸ If you’ve never done SEO before or had limited results ▸ Monthly retainer ▸ If your initial SEO efforts are complete ▸ you want to keep climbing ▸ Hourly ▸ If you just want specific tasks tackled
60. WHAT OTHER QUESTIONS DO YOU HAVE?