Published on April 26, 2014
WHAT IS SEARCH ENGINE Definition: A place, on the Net, where one goes to find sites about specific information. When you have a Web site and you want people to be able to find it you must go to the search engines and submit your site to them so they will list it. After you submit your site to them it still may take as long as 3 months before they list it. You may need to re-submit your site every couple months depending on the rules of the search engine. Read each of their rules before submitting. Examples: I'm going to submit my Web site to search engines so other people can find it.
Why use a search engine? • Finding information on the Internet • Ranked by relevance – search term (key words) – weighted by appearance and placement of key words. • Ranked by Popularity – Google, Direct Hit • Ranked by $$$ – Overture, Looksmart (Looklistings)
Who are they? • There are NOT 300,000 search engines! • The TOP 8: 1. Yahoo 2. Google 3. MSN 4. AOL 5. Altavista 6. Go Network (Infoseek) 7. Lycos 8. Excite represent 88.86% of all search engines. • What SE do you use? Get a flood of traffic to your website ! Submit your site to 300,000 search engines only $58 !!!!
Anatomy of a SE Optimisation Project 1. Determine Key Words 2. Submit to Directories 3. Get Links 4. Optimise Web Pages 5. Submit to Spider Engines
1. Determine Keywords • What are people actually searching for? – Don’t focus on “Business Name” – Research using objective tools e.g. Wordtracker (www.wordtracker.com) • Choose popular, relevant, non- competitive keywords. • Weave those terms into your pages.
What are people searching for? Research using www.wordtracker.com Initial keyword = asthma 1. Determine Keywords ... Keyword Count-24hrs asthma 6688 womenshealth 4892 menshealth 3427 healthinformation 2997 allergies 2461 healthcare 1884 foodallergies 1154 asthmasymptoms 710 asthmapictures 543 asthmainchildren 408 asthmatreatment 330 asthmainformation 311 asthmacause 263 exerciseinducedasthma 203 asthmamedication 182 childhoodasthma 140 asthmaattacks 133
Choose your Keywords • Theme Related • Popular • Low Competition (use wordtracker or observe number of results when you search) 1. Determine Keywords … What are people Searching for?
Put your keywords in... For Directories: – Category – Title – Description – Domain name 1. Determine Keywords … What are people Searching for?
Directory example... 1. Determine Keywords … What are people Searching for? Category Title Description
2. Submit to Directories 1. ODP (open directory project) 2. Looksmart via ZEAL 3. Yahoo! 4. Relevant industry portals
3. Get Links Q: How? 1. Freely distribute articles with in-built links to your website. 2. Use keywords in the link text rather than organisation name or domain name 3. Ask to be linked in their links/resources page 4. Offer reciprocal links 5. Submit link pages to Google Q: Why? A: Link Popularity and referred traffic
Put your keywords in... For Spider Engines: – <title> – <Meta> description – Headings <h1><h2> – Body text – Link text – Domain name <meta> keywords are a low priority Don’t over-do it! 4. Optimise your pages
5. Submit to the Spider Engines Submit base domain only to: – Google – All The Web – Lycos Submit individual pages to: – Alta Vista (www.altavista.com.au, free or express service) – Inktomi (www.positiontech.com US$39 +$25/page pa) Refer to handout for other engines and directories
5. Monitor your position • Review website statistics – Many hosting companies provide, or – Free stats from www.sitemeter.com – Look for “referrals” – Throw away your “hit counter” • Check your rankings – Top Dog (www.topdog.com US$199) – Web Position Gold (www.web-position-gold.biz US$149), mostly US engines
The search engine that doesn't track you. A superior search experience with smarter answers, less clutter and real privacy.
Startpage search engine provides search results from over ten best search engines in full privacy. Search anonymously with Startpage Search Engine!
This is a list of search engines, including web search engines, selection-based search engines, metasearch engines, desktop search tools, and web portals ...
InfoSpace metasearch engine offering search of the general web, or images, audio, video and news. Also offers search of Yellow Pages and White Pages.
Offers a single source to search the Web, images, audio, video, news from Google, Yahoo!, Bing, and many more search engines.
Noch mehr » Account Options. Anmelden; Sucheinstellungen
The Search Engine List is the web's most comprehensive list of major and minor search engines complete with links and abstracts describing each of the ...
The search engine that helps you find exactly what you're looking for. Find the most relevant information, video, images, and answers from all across the Web.
Make searching your site easy. Sign in to Custom Search Engine. With Google Custom Search, add a search box to your homepage to help people find what they ...
Make Google your default search provider in your browser to get the fastest access to Google Search results. Switching is fast and easy.