Published on March 16, 2016
1. Bike Life - what is it? (1) Lively and informative Bike Life reports on Belfast, Birmingham, Bristol, Cardiff, Edinburgh, Greater Manchester and Newcastle Published jointly by Sustrans and each partner authority
2. Bike Life - what is it? (2) Data covering: what’s available to help people ride bikes, who’s cycling, what everyone thinks, and the benefits for the city as a whole Large representative attitude surveys 2015 and 2017, conducted by ICM A picture of each city as a whole; not just evaluation of particular investments
3. What is the purpose of Bike Life? (1) 1. Demonstrate and raise public awareness of the benefits of bikes 2. Demonstrate demand for safe cycling 3. Show bikes are important to competitive liveable cities
4. What is the purpose of Bike Life? (2) 4. Issue publications backed by wide ranges of stakeholders 5. Shift public opinion, and help raise general public pride in the cities 6. Secure sustained political commitment to cycling
5. What is the purpose of Bike Life? (3) 7. Achieve shared ambition and friendly competition between cities 8. Make the case for consistent data collection & reporting 9. Enable long term planning
6. Key findings in 2015 – from 7 cities (1) 66% agree that more bike riding would make their city a better place to live and work 79% agree cycle safety needs to be improved 75% agree that more needs to be spent on cycling 28% of adults don’t ride a bike but would like to
7. Key findings in 2015 – from 7 cities (2) £26 per person per year is the average amount people think should be spent on cycling (compared to about £3 now across the UK) The health benefit of just the current level of cycling varies from £12m p.a. in Belfast to £108m p.a. in Greater Manchester The proportion of people living within 125m of a cycle route varies from 15% in Birmingham and Greater Manchester to 43% in Edinburgh
8. Quotes from local people
9. Economic impacts
10. Bike Life – Greater Manchester • Nearly 8 in 10 people support increasing the safety of cycling • 4% increase in trips by bike between 2013 & 2014 • 75% of people in Greater Manchester want to see more money spent on cycling there (and at a rate of £25 per head across the UK) • £108 million is the benefit to health in Greater Manchester, in a single year, from the current level of people riding bikes
11. Bike Life 1. Rosslyn Colderley – Regional Director
12. Using the reports to improve provision More bikes means doing things better: • more efficiently - better use of road space • more healthily - people being more active • more inclusively – a ‘new’ & affordable choice • more prosperously - shaping a city more attractive to skilled people to live and work. and we’ve shown most people understand this…
13. Proving the case The report is intended for use as a tool to show that: • most people want cycling to be a safe and realistic choice • they know it needs investment • they’ll ride bikes more, given a better environment A multitude of benefits to be had, by pushing on an ‘open door’ of public opinion
14. Call to action Download the 7 reports and find out more at http://www.sustrans.org.uk/bike-life Tell your contacts about Bike Life Use the reports to inform, assess or endorse proposals to invest more in cycling More detailed data available on request from Sustrans
15. Bike Life 1. Rosslyn Colderley – Regional Director
... , please email firstname.lastname@example.org with details: Advertisement. Follow Us on Facebook and Twitter ... © 1998-2016 Smarter Travel Media LLC.
... case study and key-note presentations taking place ... Smarter Travel Awards 2015 is the opportunity for you and your ... Conference enquiries, contact ...
Arlington County is a county in the Commonwealth of Virginia. ... 1812 N Moore in Rosslyn, ... Off-road trails travel along the Potomac River or its ...
Rosslyn . Select the red location marker for directions to this station. 1850 N. Moore Street Arlington, VA 22209 Parking: None Bikes: There are 20 ...
Attendee Registration Hotels & Travel. ... Conference Presentations. Subscribe to Emails. Read the Blog. An event of. Official media partners. Contact ...
Speakers at Smarter Travel LIVE! ... Rosslyn Colderley. England Director North. ... Conference. Programme; Speed Learning;
A smart city is an urban development vision ... that define a Smart City: smart ... information about current travel time on certain roads is ...
Interoperability at the border: Bridging silos to build a connected border management system. Smarter Borders is the only conference ... Trusted Traveler ...
North America's only focused travel industry conference which looks ... Two fully packed days of useful presentations, ... Smart Travel Analytics North ...