Published on October 24, 2014
1. Career resilience is the name of the game Why career resilience is key to surviving profound technology change in our globalised world. Youth in IT Conference 2014 © All rights reserved. Rob Livingstone Advisory Pty Ltd. Unauthorized redistribution prohibited without prior approval. ‘Success is our story, let’s make it yours’ is a trademark of Rob Livingstone Advisory Pty Ltd.
2. Welcome to the Innovation Age Setting the scene….
3. The Great Digital Disruptor and your career Technologies in and of themselves, are not intrinsically disruptive. It is their combination and application that plays a large part in determining to what extent they will be disruptive, often leading to unexpected results. These influences play across every aspect of our hyperconnected societies, globally.
4. The digital democracy pyramid Democratisation of…. … your career: Identify both the risks and opportunities of certain aspects of your career becoming a commodity. …skill by levelling the playing field – globally. Equally qualified and skilled professionals based in low cost countries are able to enter the global skills market. … knowledge through pervasive and instant access a seemingly infinite array of shared knowledge from your internet browser or mobile device … information: Anyone has the ability to freely contribute and access information across the internet …technology: individuals and organisations alike have ready access to enterprise strength, powerful and low cost (if not free) IT systems that were previously the domain of larger organisations.
5. The dilemma of career success as a specialist • The viability of a career based on the mastery of a specific specialty is influenced largely by the laws of supply and demand for those skills. • If a large number of people acquired the skills of the specialist, the skills could be commoditised. (Think globalisation!) • During your career, only reinforcing expertise in a specific industry or technology at the expense of gaining knowledge, skills and experiences outside this core area could put you at greater risk of becoming irrelevant in the long term.
6. Facing an uncertain future with career resilience
7. Facing an uncertain future with career resilience • Start thinking of your current or future career as your business. As an employee, you have one client. That client is called your employer, and hopefully that employer is your employer of choice, not necessity. • Recognise that your career lasts a lifetime, whereas a job will not. • Investing in your most important lifelong income generating asset, that being your career, makes good sense. • That investment may include obtaining a degree, well recognized professional or industry certification or targeting businesses or industries that will give you the necessary experience for you to get to the next step.
8. Facing an uncertain future with career resilience • By treating your career as your business, you will progressively equip yourself with the skills that extend far beyond just doing a great job at your current or future employer. • It is the gradual and systematic development and acquisition of complementary and supplementary skills and experience that are in line with the goals and objectives embodied in your Career’s Business Plan that will contribute to you having options. It is having options that leads to career resilience
9. Key takeaways • Recognise that your first (or current) job is a stepping stone for your next opportunity to reach your full potential. • Your career trajectory and employment landscape will be substantially different to those faced by previous generations. • In an environment that is not changing very rapidly, accepted ‘best practice’ generally makes sense, however…. • When faced with disruptive innovation, ‘best practice’ may be anything other than ‘best’ for either organisations or careers.
10. Key takeaways • Become your own ‘expert’, and constantly validate any assumptions you may have about our changing environment: – Read widely and seek objective opinions to help in obtaining a broader perspective of your environment – Stress-test your career assumptions – Run through scenarios (sensitivity analysis, ‘what if…?’) • Develop your own personal ‘over the horizon’ radar • After all, ‘experts’ don’t always get it right
11. IT – Back to the future?
12. Oops! Another IT broken prediction? Mock US Submarine control station (taken 2004) http://urbanlegends.about.com/ library/bl_rand_home_ computer.htm
13. ThankYou! ROB LIVINGSTONE - Fellow, University of Technology, Sydney - Principal, Rob Livingstone Advisory Pty Ltd W: www.rob-livingstone.com E: firstname.lastname@example.org P: +61 2 8005 1972 M: +61 419 632 673 F: +61 2 9879 5004 Tw: @rladvisory © All rights reserved. Rob Livingstone Advisory Pty Ltd. Unauthorized redistribution prohibited without prior approval. V1
Presentación que realice en el Evento Nacional de Gobierno Abierto, realizado los ...
In this presentation we will describe our experience developing with a highly dyna...
Presentation to the LITA Forum 7th November 2014 Albuquerque, NM
Un recorrido por los cambios que nos generará el wearabletech en el futuro
Um paralelo entre as novidades & mercado em Wearable Computing e Tecnologias Assis...
Rob Livingstone’s conference presentation “Career resilience is the name of the game. ... Delivered at the 2014 Youth in IT Conference (Asia Pacific) ...
Rob Livingstone’s conference ... Youth in IT Conference (Asia Pacific) Career resilience is the name of the game from Rob Livingstone ...
Rob Livingstone’s conference presentation “Career resilience is the name of the game. ... Delivered at the 2014 Youth in IT Conference (Asia Pacific)
... Who's Who of Financial Services Asia Pacific ... According to academic Rob Livingstone ... such as NatWest in the UK using Vine for the youth ...
Featured Speakers; Sponsors; Program ... Rob Livingstone: ... Steven Cooper is responsible for working with the strong developer community within Asia ...
Gold winning Lusaka Conference Drill Squad,Drill Down at SID Livingstone Pathfinder Camporee 2014. With the Chelstone Pathfinder Brass Band. A ...
... Asia Pacific, Fragomen Worldwide ... G20 Youth Summit 2015 Paul O’Sullivan, Chair, ... attendees at this conference. David Dyer, Principal, ...
Conferences and events. Conference diary; ... IBA Asia Pacific Regional Forum on Anti-Corruption, ... 5th Asia Pacific Regional Forum Conference: ...
The 24th National Vocational Education and Training Research Conference ‘No Frills ... Asia Pacific International ... Rob Wood, Deputy ...