Published on October 28, 2018
1. Restore my Spirit By: Brian Birdow
2. Objective of Lesson 1. To show the spirit of a Christian 2. To show things that commonly weigh our spirit down.
3. The spirit of Christians A spirit of love • John 13:34-35 A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another; as I have loved you, that you also love one another. 35 By this all will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another.” • Matthew 5:44-45 But I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who curse you, do good to those who hate you, and pray for those who spitefully use you and persecute you, 45 that you may be sons of your Father in heaven; for He makes His sun rise on the evil and on the good, and sends rain on the just and on the unjust
4. The spirit of Christians Zealous for good works • Titus 2:11-14 For the grace of God that brings salvation has appeared to all men, 12 teaching us that, denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we should live soberly, righteously, and godly in the present age, 13 looking for the blessed hope and glorious appearing of our great God and Savior Jesus Christ, 14 who gave Himself for us, that He might redeem us from every lawless deed and purify for Himself His own special people, zealous for good works. • Ephesians 2:10 For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand that we should walk in them. (Ref. Galatians 6:10, Hebrews 13:16)
5. The spirit of Christians A spirit of Courage & Mediation • Joshua 1:6-7 Be strong and of good courage, for to this people you shall divide as an inheritance the land which I swore to their fathers to give them. 7 Only be strong and very courageous, that you may observe to do according to all the law which Moses My servant commanded you; do not turn from it to the right hand or to the left, that you may prosper wherever you go. • Joshua 1:8-9 This Book of the Law shall not depart from your mouth, but you shall meditate in it day and night, that you may observe to do according to all that is written in it. For then you will make your way prosperous, and then you will have good success. Have I not commanded you? Be strong and of good courage; do not be afraid, nor be dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go.”
6. The spirit of Christians A spirit of Praise and Prayer • Hebrews 13:15 By him therefore let us offer the sacrifice of praise to God continually, that is, the fruit of our lips giving thanks to his name. • James 5:13 Is any among you afflicted? let him pray. Is any merry? let him sing psalms. • Psalm 75:1 We give thanks to you, O God; we give thanks, for your name is near. We recount your wondrous deeds. (Ref. Psalm 122:1)
7. Things that weigh us down Objective # 2
8. Things that weigh us down ✓When what we envisioned as reality, just is not so (Matt. 26:33, Mk.14:54f). ✓When we felt like we have done enough, but more is still asked of us (1 Kings 18). ✓When we hold our end of the bargain and others do not (Isa.65:2; 2 Timothy 2:13) ✓When our brethren are not faithful (Num.11:13-15)
9. Things that weigh us down ✓ When others fail to see our true motives and that we are genuine. (Acts 7:25) ✓ When our prayers do are not answered the way we desire. (2 Cor. 12:8-10) ✓ When we lose a love one unexpected (Gen. 4) ✓ When we have been lied to (Gen. 27)
10. Application GOD IS • 1 Corinthians 10:13 There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it
11. Application We are not the only one to suffer hardship! • Hebrews 12:1-3 Wherefore seeing we also are compassed about with so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which doth so easily beset us, and let us run with patience the race that is set before us, • Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God. 3 For consider him that endured such contradiction of sinners against himself, lest ye be wearied and faint in your minds.