Published on April 19, 2016
1. Residential Applications for LED Lighting: How LED lighting is creating opportunities for creating dynamic lighting layering in residential spaces Joseph A. Rey-Barreau, AIA, IES Architect/Lighting Designer Associate Professor College of Design/University of Kentucky Co-Founder/Education Director LED University www.bdcuniversity.com/ledu firstname.lastname@example.org
2. Credit(s) earned on completion of this course will be reported to AIA CES for AIA members. Certificates of Completion for both AIA members and non-AIA members are available upon request. This course is registered with AIA CES for continuing professional education. As such, it does not include content that may be deemed or construed to be an approval or endorsement by the AIA of any material of construction or any method or manner of handling, using, distributing, or dealing in any material or product. ___________________________________________ Questions related to specific materials, methods, and services will be addressed at the conclusion of this presentation.
3. Sponsors It is predicted that by 2016 LED lighting will be approximately 50% of the residential lighting marketplace. This rapid adoption means that LEDs will soon become the primary lighting source in single-family and multi-family construction. This course will focus on the LED and Solid State Lighting technologies and design concepts that are leading the way in the re-shaping of residential lighting design. The efficiency, small scale and ubiquity of these new technologies are providing designers with opportunities to integrate LED lighting into innovative residential lighting design concepts using multiple LED lighting layers. The course also will cover updates on the latest and most innovative LED product introductions for residential applications.
4. Sponsors 1. To better understand the key benefits of using LED lighting in residential applications. 2. To better understand how LED technology is positively impacting lighting design objectives when using lighting layers. 3. To better understand the specific benefits of LED lighting in kitchen and baths. 4. To better understand the primary specification issues that designers and architects must define when selecting and applying LED decorative and architectural lighting in residential applications. 5. To analyze specific case studies of successful LED lighting applications.
6. Incandescent bulb 1879
7. The Incandescent Light Bulb 1879 Thomas Edison develops the first incandescent light bulb 2016
8. Incandescent and halogen market share Source: McKinsey Global Lighting Market Model
9. CFL market share Source: McKinsey Global Lighting Market Model
10. LED market share
11. 1910 Sears and Roebuck catalog
12. Legacy fixtures and LED replacement lamps
13. Sorce: McKinsey and Company “….focus will shift from light source replacement to new fixture installation……..”
14. Integrated LED fixtures
15. Fixtures with multiple light source options Medium Base A19 GU24 GU24 GU24 Retrofit GU24 Medium Base LED Light Engine
16. “LED fixture product generations will soon be measured in months, rather than years or decades.” LED Technology 2016 Sorce: McKinsey and Company
17. Yet SSL technology is actually in its infancy. Credit: Yukio Narukawa, et al.
18. “The Nobel Prize in Physics 2014 was awarded jointly to Isamu Akasaki, Hiroshi Amano and Shuji Nakamura "for the invention of efficient blue light- emitting diodes which has enabled bright and energy- saving white light sources".
19. Light Experiences and Human-Centric Lighting
20. Light experiences
21. Light experiences
22. Light experiences
23. Light experiences
24. Light experiences
25. Light experiences
26. Light experiences
27. Light experiences
28. Tunable Lighting
29. Tunable lighting
30. Tunable lighting
31. Lighting to fit your mood or your need Tunable lighting
32. Lighting to fit your mood or your need Lighting to fit your mood or your need Tunable lighting
33. Tunable lighting Tunable lighting
34. Tunable lighting Tunable lighting
35. Tunable lighting
36. Tunable lighting
37. Custom compositions Tunable lighting Tunable lighting
38. Custom compositions Tunable lighting Tunable lighting Custom compositions
39. Custom compositions Tunable lighting Tunable lighting Custom compositions
40. What about color quality?
41. Red Rooms Louvre, Paris
42. On the occasion of the 450th anniversary of the death of Michelangelo LEDs are now used to illuminate the Michelangelo frescoes in the Sistine Chapel.
43. “The new lighting is intended to minimize ultraviolet and infrared rays and to bring out what are believed to be the original hues in the painting that have faded over time. “ LA Times
44. LED Facts
45. Lumen The most common measure of light output (or luminous flux) is the lumen. Light Source Lumens 60 Watt Incandescent 820 15 Watt CFL 950 8 Watt LED 810
46. Incandescent lumen output
47. Incandescent and LED comparison
48. Efficacy Light Source Lumens Lm/W 60 Watt Incandescent 820 14 15 Watt CFL 950 63 8 Watt LED 810 101 The light output emitted by a light source divided by the nominal light source wattage and expressed in lumens per watt (lm/W).
50. LED 200+ lpw Est. 2020 Efficacy
51. Correlated Color Temperature (CCT) A measure of the color appearance of a white light source. CCT is measured on the Kelvin absolute temperature scale.
52. 2700K, 3000K, 3500K, 4000K Color temperature tuning Dimming (2700K to 1800K) Correlated Color Temperature (CCT)
53. The Color Temperature Dilemma
54. The color rendering index (CRI) scale is used to compare the effect of a light source on the color appearance of its surroundings. A scale of 0 to 100 defines the CRI. A higher CRI means better color rendering, or less color shift. Color Rendering Index (CRI) · 97 Lumens per Watt · CRI 90+ · 2700K, 3000K, 3500K, 4000K
55. LEDs fall within the category of Solid State Lighting Solid-state lighting (SSL) includes devices that use diodes to create lighting, including: Light Emitting Diodes (LED) Organic Light Emitting Diodes (OLED) The terms SSL and LED are often used interchangeably. LED Facts
56. LED ArraySingle LED A group of LEDs is called an Array of LEDs LED is an acronym for Light Emitting Diode LED Facts
57. Creating the substrate wafers Substrate wafer LED Facts
58. What is a diode? • A diode is a very simple type of semiconductor. • A semiconductor is a solid material with a varying ability to conduct electrical current. Source: Lighting Research Center/RPI LED Facts
59. The semiconductor die consists of a chip of semiconducting material treated to create a structure called a p-n (positive-negative) junction. Semiconductor die Source: U.S. Dept. of Energy LED Facts
60. When a voltage is applied across the electrodes the current flows from the anode (P side) to the cathode (N side). Source: U.S. Dept. of Energy LED Facts
61. • When an electron meets a hole at the P-N junction it falls in to a lower energy state. • The excess energy of the electron is emitted as a Photon (Photons) (Photons) LED Facts
62. • LEDs emit heat mostly in the form of conduction. • To dissipate this heat, LEDs are mounted on heat- conducting material called a heat sink. Emitted light Heat Source: U.S. Dept. of Energy LED Facts
63. Heat loss (%) Source: U.S. Dept. of Energy LED Facts
64. LED lighting trends in residential applications
65. Linear LED lighting
67. Xenon LED Replacement
68. 14’ x 18’ 64 linear feet 18 linear feet
69. LED TAPE LED TAPE
70. LED TAPE NOT HERE
71. LED TAPE LED TAPE
72. T 14’ 36’ 36’ 22’ v 1 144 1 18 Total: 72 linear feet 4752 lumens 720 total watts 5w xenon 33 lumens 2000 hrs. 1000w 24v. transformer
73. 14’ 22’ Total: 72 linear feet 10944 lumens 187 total watts High output LED tape
74. Indirect LED Lighting Systems
75. LED Replacement Lamps
76. LED replacement lamps
77. Legacy fixtures and LED replacement lamps
78. Lamping: 6 x 60W G9 Halogen Lumens: 800 lumens Total Lumens: 4800 lumens CCT: 3000K Life 2000 hrs. Lamping: 6 x 4W G9 LED Lumens: 280 lumens Total Lumens: 1680 lumens CCT: 3500K Life 20000 hrs. Legacy fixtures and LED replacement lamps
79. Legacy fixtures and LED replacement lamps
80. Integrated LED fixtures
81. Integrated LED fixtures
82. Integrated LED fixtures
83. Integrated LED fixtures
84. Integrated LED fixtures
85. Integrated LED fixtures
86. Integrated LED fixtures
87. • 3 watts • 360 lumens • 3000K Integrated LED fixtures
88. • 10 watts • 1265 lumens • 3000K Integrated LED fixtures
89. Integrated LED fixtures
90. Integrated LED fixtures
91. • 3500K • 80+ CRI • 40000 hrs. Integrated LED fixtures
92. • 100 watt LED • 7000 lumens • 3000K • 80+ CRI • 40000 hrs. Integrated LED fixtures
94. LED market share
95. Source: McKinsey and Company “….focus will shift from light source replacement to new fixture installation……..”
96. “LED fixture product generations will soon be measured in months, rather than years or decades.” LED Technology 2015 Source: McKinsey and Company
97. Light experiences
98. Tunable lighting Custom compositions
99. Linear LED systems
100. Linear LED systems
101. Linear LED systems
102. Linear LED systems
103. Linear LED systems
104. Integrated LED fixtures
105. • 3500K • 80+ CRI • 40000 hrs. Integrated LED fixtures
106. • 100 watt LED • 7000 lumens • 3000K • 80+ CRI • 40000 hrs. Integrated LED fixtures
107. Integrated LED fixtures
108. Integrated LED fixtures
109. Integrated LED fixtures
110. This concludes The American Institute of Architects Continuing Education Systems Course
111. Residential Applications for LED Lighting: How LED lighting is creating opportunities for creating dynamic lighting layering in residential spaces Joseph A. Rey-Barreau, AIA, IES Architect/Lighting Designer Associate Professor College of Design/University of Kentucky Co-Founder/Education Director LED University www.bdcuniversity.com/ledu email@example.com
At LEDillum we specialise in the application of LED lighting to several fields of illumination including the 'Architectural and Residential sectors', where ...
Cree delivers the ideal source for residential LED lighting with a wide variety of products for projects involving kitchens, hallways, bathrooms & more.
By: Andreas Dankelmann. Introduction: LED lighting solutions are on the rise. There are more LED products and alternatives available on the market already ...
QuadroMAX LED Outdoor Lighting Fixtures; ... Applications. Schools and Universities; ... Applications: Residential.
Residential LED Lighting Applications Creatively light up your kitchen, bathroom, recreational basement, patio, backyard swimming pool and virtually any ...
Creatively light up your kitchen, bathroom, recreational basement, patio, backyard swimming pool and virtually any area of your home with quality LED ...
The residential LED lighting ... 100% coverage of residential lighting applications. Only LED lighting can be ... the LED residential lighting ...
This video presents solutions for the electronic design of residential LED lighting
Residential applications for ... Creating designs for LED lighting applications ... 3 Responses to Global LED Lighting Trends Reveal Significant Growth ...