Published on October 23, 2014
1. Research Methods II Urban Ethnography The Wire Dr Igor Calzada 16 October 2014
2. Urban Ethnography: THE WIRE ! A.- Presenting the case: (Lecturer) ! Qualitative and Quantitative Research Approaches. ! The Case: Baltimore City. ! B.- In each group: (Members) ! To answer ‘The 4 Questions’
3. Urban Ethnography: THE WIRE ! Fictional context: Behave as an OUTSIDER ! Imagine that your group should work on this real field. ! It is Baltimore (USA) but it could be Birmingham (UK) ! Are you familiar with this TV Serie? ! What do you like/dislike from it? ! How are the main characters? ! What is the plot? ! How are the different narratives? ! But…this happens in a certain context > CITY
4. Urban Ethnography: THE WIRE ! BALTIMORE
5. A.- Interactive Activity Urban Ethnography: THE WIRE ! BALTIMORE (25 min)
6. A.- Interactive Activity Urban Ethnography: THE WIRE (25 min) We are going to provide you JUST one piece of information: < A TV Series Set >
7. A.- Interactive Activity (25 min)
8. A.- Interactive Activity Urban Ethnography: THE WIRE (25 min) WHICH IS GOING TO BE THE MAIN SOCIAL ISSUE THAT YOU ARE GOING TO FOCUS ON?
9. A.- Interactive Activity Urban Ethnography: THE WIRE (25 min) WHICH IS GOING TO BE THE YOUR RESEARCH QUESTION THAT YOU ARE GOING TO BE FOCUS ON?
10. Beginning the Group Work
11. A.- Interactive Activity (25 min) Urban Ethnography: THE WIRE MAIN CONCLUSION The Wire’s exploration of sociological themes is truly exceptional. Indeed I do not hesitate to say that it has done more to enhance our understandings of the challenges of urban life and urban inequality than any other media event or scholarly publication, including studies by social scientists… Professor William Julius Wilson, Harvard University Seminar about The Wire, 4th April 2008.
12. A.- Interactive Activity (25 min) Urban Ethnography: THE WIRE MAIN CONCLUSION The Wire develops morally complex characters on each side of the law, and with its scrupulous exploration of the inner workings of various institutions, including drug-dealing gangs, the police, politicians, unions, public schools, and the print media, viewers become aware that individuals’ decisions and behaviour are often shaped by - and indeed limited by - social, political, and economic forces beyond their control". Professor William Julius Wilson, Harvard University Seminar about The Wire, 4th April 2008.
The Center for Urban Ethnography ... CUE now convenes the Ethnography in Education Research Forum, the largest annual meeting of qualitative ...
... examine the ontological and epistemological presuppositions underlying ethnography. Ethnographic research ... Urban sociology and the ... ethnographic ...
Autoethnography differs from ethnography, (a social research method ... (2008) put it, “whether we call a work an autoethnography or an ethnography ...
ii About the authors ... with a few other research methods ... Participant observationis the central research method of ethnography.
Race and Ethnicity in Research Methods. ... John H Stanfield II: PART TWO: QUALITATIVE METHODS: ... Urban Ethnography:
Researcher Robert K. Yin defines the case study research method as an empirical inquiry that ... Urban youth and the ... Volume II. Washington ...
ANTH 320/COMM320/URBS321 Doing Urban Ethnography: ... (ii) turning that research into a short, ... Mixing audio methods with ethnography,
Learn More About ETHNOGRAPHY . Britannica English: Translation of "ethnography" for Arabic speakers. Britannica.com: Encyclopedia article about "ethnography"