Published on June 10, 2016
1. Feasibility of Driverless Buses on the South East Busway REECE HOUSTON N8888612 QUEENSLAND UNIVERSITY OF TECHNOLOGY
2. South East Busway • Major section of Brisbane’s BRT • Two lane, two way road • Extends from the Queen Street Bus Station to Eight Mile Plains Station • Key locations include Mater Hospital, Griffith University and South Bank • Provides connection to other Eastern Busway, Inner Northern Busway and Boggo Road Busway
3. Why should driverless buses be considered on the South East Busway? • Provides fast and convenient service through out most of the day • During peak times suffers from bus queuing and passenger overcrowding • Mostly at high density stations, Mater Hill, Cultural Centre
4. Current driverless bus technology • Automatic door control • Doors open automatically on arrival • Sensors used to prevent doors closing • Collision avoidance and warning • Sensors linked to brakes • Prevents crashes caused by driver error • Increased safety
5. Current driverless bus technology • Autonomous guidance • Replaces actions of a conductor • Information obtained through sensors and position reference technology (GPS, optic, magnetic markings • Precision docking • Optical guidance or magnetic sensors • Docking in exact location • Vehicle aligns precisely with curb
6. Successful driverless bus trials • China Bus company Yutong • 32.6km journey around busy streets • Performed complex driving actions traffic lights, lane changes, overtaking • BRT corridor in Brazil • Experimented with autonomous guidance and precision docking • Reduction in dwell times • Increased operating speeds • Increased comfort and satisfaction
7. Benefits of a driverless bus service of the South East Busway • Reducing dwell times due to precision docking • Easy access for eldery/disabled • Increased operation speeds, capacities, smaller headways • Increased safety and reduced risk of accidents • Increased rider comfort and satisfaction • Attract more ridership • Efficient driving reducing emissions • Help solve problems such as bus queuing and overcrowding
8. Challenges of driverless buses on South East Busway • Technology for a fully autonomous system still requires more testing for reliability • Cost of implementation • Integration problems • Legal and liability issues
9. Conclusions • Driverless bus system capable of providing significant benefits to service and efficiency • Fully driverless system not quite ready for widespread usage • Too many barriers to implementation • Very expensive • Legislation issues • Reliability In complex situations
10. Recommendations • Fully autonomous driverless service not available at this point in time • Driverless possible in the near future • Semi-autonomous systems could still provide benefits to the busway • Precision docking would allow for lower dwell times and increased accessibility • Collision avoidance help reduce the possibility of accidents
Can bus thesis body thesis example human evolution essay arabic essay topics best essay sample imperialism thesis essay underwriting business plan essay topics 2012 ...
Reece houston driverless bus thesis presentation Feb 09, 2017 Automotive ... Please download to view 1 × Close Share Reece houston driverless bus thesis presentation.
The Missing Link in Sustainable Transportation Jon Shoap Thesis: ... The bus is very practically designed, ...
Thesis Title: Industrial Area ... conventional bus transit for a small city. Journal of Public Transportation. (In press) ... Houston, TX (October 24, 2015)
The Antiplanner . Making Room for ... Randal O'Toole says his central argument is that rail is a dead end and driverless car technologies ... When it comes to Houston ...
Information on Daimler AG, our products, innovations, sustainability, careers and investor relations.
Vehicle Inspections & Maintenance. Vehicle Inspections and truck maintenance using a DOT vehicle inspection form can help you control costs and keep drivers safe on ...
Break through to improving results with Pearson's MyLab & Mastering. We're working with educators and institutions to improve results for students everywhere.
MIT researchers have designed a solution to prevent online identity theft, using bitcoin blockchain technology. The system is called Catena, and the researchers
Tesla designs and manufactures the Model S electric sedan and the Model X electric SUV, and is taking reservations for Model 3, a premium EV starting at $35,000.