Published on September 24, 2015
1. Mechanical Department, BVIT, Navi Mumbai.
2. System to convey fluids Discipline of piping design studies the efficient transport of fluid. Industrial process piping manufacturing In-line components senses and controls Piping sometimes refers to Piping Design BVIT 2
3. Piping technology developed slowly from Roman period Wooden piping found in 1890’s Import of cast iron from the U.S in the 1960’s Light-gauge copper tubing coming on the market in the 1930’s In 1926 the PVC pipe was invented but not manufactured until 1940’s BVIT 3
4. Stress Material Installation Inspection Third party damage Cracking Corrosion BVIT 4
5. Individual defect detection Spot checks with statistical extrapolation • Coupons • Ultrasonic testing •Electromagnetic Full length in-line testing •Electromagnetic testing • In-line leak location • CCTV inspection General condition assessment Desktop studies • Failure history • Soil analysis • Other existing data Average wall thickness • Acoustic pipe wall assessment Inspect part of pipeline; predict the rest Inspect entire pipeline BVIT 5
6. low frequency acoustic pressure wave induced in pipe This pressure wave causes pipe wall to “flex” on a microscopic level 6 Thicker (and therefore stiffer) pipe walls are more resistant to this “breathing,” causing the wave to travel faster BVIT
7. Required instrumentation is sent inside pipes using smart pigs Often requires shutdown of line, installation of launch & retrieval sites, and cleaning of pipes to remove tubercles and debris 7 Provides a continuous profile of pipe ‐wall thickness. Data acquisition and analysis are labor and cost intensive BVIT
8. Detection of leaks and condition assessment Leakage detection technology Minimize disruption to normal operation 8 Smart Ball® technology is a free swimming device The Smart Ball® technology was originally developed and successfully implemented for the water industry. BVIT
9. Reduces overflows, violations & failures Prioritizes repair and maintenance efforts Reduces emergency repairs or dig & replace Modern technologies utilize trenchless condition assessment and rehabilitation techniques Can save a lot of money! BVIT 9
10. A well-run Condition Assessment & Rehabilitation Program provides a systematic, consistent, & cost- effective approach to asset management Supports long term capital expenditure planning Effective in forecasting future maintenance needs, prioritizing resource allocation, and costs based on inspection & condition assessment ratings Reduces potential overflows, violations & failures Utilizes trenchless technology Can save a lot of money! BVIT 10
11. BVIT 11
12. BVIT 12
704 RECENT ADVANCES IN PIPE WALL ASSESSMENT TECHNOLOGY Anis Somani, Roberto Mascarenhas Pure Technologies, 4700 Dixie Road, Mississauga, Ontario, Canada ...
Most of North America's oldest water mains are constructed of ferrous material, in particular cast iron, ductile iron, and steel. As utilities rarely have ...
Recent Advances in Pipe Wall Assessment Technology by Xiangjie Kong, (Pure Technologies, 4700 Dixie Road, Mississauga, Ontario, Canada. E-mail: xiangjie ...
This best practice includes a tiered approach to condition assessment ... Utilities are crediting advances in ... condition assessment technology for ...
Pure Technologies is a world leader in the development and application of innovative technologies ... Metallic Pipe Wall Assessment. ... Advance your ...
Piping Technology offers custom pipe supports, pipe hangers and clamps, insulated supports, slide plates, field services, emergency services & more.
Advances in Structural Engineering aims to provide ... assessment; and (g ... truly new structural engineering technologies with their ...
NurseZone HomePage » Recent ... Nursing technology ... Computer and software companies are working to further advance point-of-care technology to ...
This occurred through many successive rapid advances in technology, ... A recent trend has been the migration of ... Technology assessment; Technology ...
New Technology. High-Speed Train ... Watch an Enormous Tunnel-Boring Machine Tear Through a Solid Wall. After carving through 100 feet a day for months, ...