Published on July 7, 2016
1. Sounds of OUGH By Heidi Hyte for ESL Trail Full post available at http://www.esltrail.com/2016/05/sounds-of-ough.html
2. GH can do three things: 1) When gh comes at the beginning of a word, it has the sound /g/ (e.g., ghost).
3. GH can do three things: 2) When gh comes at the end of a word, it sometimes has the sound /f/ (e.g., laugh).
4. GH can do three things: 2) When the vowel i comes before gh, the i is long, and the gh is silent (e.g., high; night). This is the case for most gh words.
5. But what about the ough combination?
6. The following are the sounds that ough makes: • /oo/, as in through • /ou/, as in drought • long o, as in though • /uff/, as in rough • /auf/, as in cough • /au/, as in bought
7. ough should be taught as a unit Because of the variety of sounds it makes, students should not try to learn a specific sound for ough. Rather, students should sound out the other sounds in the word and use context to help determine the correct pronunciation of ough.
8. ough should be taught as a unit Only 38 words in English contain ough: 23 one-syllable words and 15 additional words that are longer forms (multi-syllabic words) of those one- syllable words. Since ough occurs in relatively few words, it is recommended that the sounds are addressed as they surface in context rather than explicitly teaching the different sounds of ough.
9. Sounds of OUGH By Heidi Hyte for ESL Trail Full post available at http://www.esltrail.com/2016/05/sounds-of-ough.html ESL instructors appreciate the age-appropriate reading instruction of Reading Horizons Elevate®. For more information, visit www.readinghorizons.com
Published by HEC Reading Horizons Copyright ... SPECIAL VOWEL SOUNDS ... The combination -ough represents so many different sounds that the ...
Sounds of OUGH I was recently asked ... But because of the variety of sounds it makes, ... I am the Curriculum Director and ESL Director at Reading ...
The Horizons Phonics and Reading program is very ... blend the sounds of ... sounds of “ough” for second grade. Phonics and Reading 1 might serve as ...
Sounds of OUGH. I was recently asked ... Currently, I am the Curriculum Director and ESL Director at Reading Horizons in Salt Lake City, Utah (www ...
28 Reading Horizons, ... with uncommon spellings until they find the one that "sounds ... at a disadvantage. For instance, the pattern "ough" is ...
... ch, wh • Consonant sounds • Short ... ai, ay, ee, ea, ey, ie, ei, igh, ey, uy, oa, oe, ow, ou, ough, ue, ui ... HORIZONS Phonics & Reading SLP ...
Discover Intensive Phonics for Yourself is a ... Instruction encompasses the 42 Sounds of the ... (replacing the reading series introduction and ...
Reading Horizons maintains and curates this ESL lesson help Pinterest board. Reading Horizons offers age appropriate reading instruction through Reading ...
Language Arts: Phonics ... Handbook for Reading and Letters and Sounds 2 provide practice with the material ... ough in enough