Published on October 15, 2014
1. Level Up Grade3 Book2 Howtalk Group, Inc. 1161 Sand Hill Ave. Unit A Carson CA 90746 USA Copyright ⓒ 2003 Howtalk Group, Inc. 2005 Howtalk Group International, Inc. All rights reserved. No part of this publication may be reproduced, stored in a retrieval system, or transmitted, in any form or by any means, electronic, mechanical, photocopying, recording, or otherwise, without the prior written permission of Howtalk Group, Inc. USA and Howtalk Group International, Inc. Phil. Text ⓒ Howtalk Group International, Inc. 2008 Design and illustration ⓒ Howtalk Group International, Inc. 2008 First published 2008
2. Contents Vocabulary Dialogue Grammar Logic Practice Review Vocabulary Building Predicted Writing Skillful Writing Expressing Opinions Review Vocabulary Dialogue Grammar Logic Practice Review Vocabulary Building Predicted Writing Skillful Writing Expressing Opinions Review 24 26 28 30 32 34 36 38 40 42 Part 3 Part 4 Team Sports 4 6 8 10 12 14 16 18 20 22 Part 1 Part 2 Friends and Fun
3. PART 1 Look and Write 4 catch 1. Michael can the ball with his glove. 2. Brian and his play a game of chess. 3. Mary thinks soccer is because she likes to kick the ball. 4. She can the ball very far. 5. They to make it to the finish line. 6. I like to skip over the really fast. 7. We watch the frogs near the lake. 8. A marathon is a very distance to run. 9. He likes to when he hears music. 10. If you move you can win the game. 11. He slides into the third . 12. is my favorite sport. 13. The girl takes her to the playground. 14. I can a pony at the zoo. 15. The bike has a that goes up and down. 16. If I am not careful I can fall on the . 17. We watch our friends the merry-go-round. Word Box ropes jump spin ground pedal dance run friend catch fun throw jump ropes dance long fast bike base baseball pedal ride ground spin ride bike Baseball base fast long run throw fun play
4. 5 1 3 4 Read and Write 2 1 You can use your hands to do this with a ball. t r o w throw 2 We can spring into the air with our two legs and two feet. j u m p 3 It is the far distance from end to end. l o n g 4 This is the surface of the earth. g Vocabulary Look and Write h r o u n d jump long ground They play with the jump ropes. They dance to a fun song. The boys are playing soccer. The girl and the boy are riding their bikes.
5. PART 1 Look and Write 6 Hi Chris. are you going? Where going friends team riding practice fun Word Box Will you meet your there? That sounds like . I ’m my bike to the park. See you later! Hi Maria. I’m to soccer practice. Yes. They are on my . It is fun. I every day. Where are you going, Maria? Where team friends practice fun riding going
6. The two become friends. 7 Situation 1 Situation 2 1 1 Read and Respond 1 3 3 It goes over the fence. 3 4 4 A boy finds the ball. 4 2 2 2 Hi Michael! What game do you want to play? That sounds fun. Okay. Dialogue Look and Write Hi, Jenny. I want to play catch. It is a lot of fun. Do you wantto play with me? Cool. Let’s go to the playground! He kicks the ball. She finds the puppy’s friend. He rides in the basket. She finds a lost puppy. The girl rides a bike.
7. PART 1 Grammar Point I am I’m You / We / They are You’re / We’re / They’re He /She /It is He’s / She’s / It’s Read and Write 8 They are singing in a chorus. He is playing the piano in a recital. She is throwing the ball very far. We are running in a race together. You are dancing to a fun song. I am having fun in the soccer field. It is going to be a long match. He is riding a bike around the block. I am jumping up to shoot the ball. She is catching butterflies in a net. Contractions Pronoun + ’ + Be They’re He’s She’s We’re You’re I’m It’s He’s I’m She’s 1. 2. 3. 4. 5. 6. 7. 8. 9. 10. singing in a chorus. playing the piano in a recital. is throwing the ball very far. running in a race together. dancing to a fun song. having fun in the soccer field. going to be a long match. riding a bike around the block. jumping up to shoot the ball. catching butterflies in a net.
8. 9 Look and Talk 1 2 You’re at the beach with your friend. He’s playing baseball in the field. They’re at the movies together. She’s singing in the chorus. Read and Rewrite You is a soccer player. You are a soccer player. You’re a soccer player. She are a soprano. She is a soprano. She’s a soprano. They is dancers. They are dancers. I is a champion. I am a champion. It am a fun game. It is a fun game. We is students. We are students. He are a runner. 4 3 You’re / at the beach They’re / at the movies Grammar He’s / in the baseball field She’s / in the chorus 1. 2. 3. 4. 5. 6. They’re dancers. I’m a champion. It’s a fun game. We’re students. He’s a runner. He is a runner.
9. PART 1 Look and Write 1 2 10 Cathy is a swimmer. She and her friends go to the beach together. They dive into the ocean and see many colorful fish. They wear special outfits called camping scouting wetsuits branches long way build Word Box . They can go a under the water. My friends and I like to go together. We build learn how to a fire. My friends and I go scouting in the forest for . We pile the branches on the ground and watch the flames. camping wetsuits branches long way
10. 11 Look and Talk Read and Rewrite 2 1. I am a baseball player. Bobby is a baseball player. Bobby and I are baseball players. 2. I like to watch funny movies. I like to watch adventure movies. I like to watch funny movies and adventure movies. 3. She wants to eat a delicious cake. She wants to drink a cool soda. She wants to eat a delicious cake and drink a cool soda. 4. You are a player on the baseball team. I am a player on the baseball team. We are players on the baseball team. 1 3 4 Logic Practice The friends play with marbles. She swims on the swim team. They’re acting in a play. They row the canoe down the river.
11. PART 1 Read and Write I am a __________ on the __________basball team. My friends and I are on a ___________ team called the Blue Jays. We practice on the weekends for the big __________. game My friend Luis can run very __________ fast to all the _______. He hits the __________ and slides home safe. We’re happy when the crowd cheers for all our winning points. Word Box bases game team baseball fast ground catcher Read and Rewrite 12 She’s a ballet dancer. They’re baseball players. I’m a cyclist. You’re a team member. He’s a singer. We’re trainers. You’re a diver. 1. 2. 3. 4. 5. 6. 7. They’re ballet dancers. (They/dancers) (He/player) (We/cyclists) (She/member) (They/singers) (I/trainer) (They/divers) catcher bases ground He’s a baseball player. We’re cyclists. She’s a team member. They’re singers. I’m a trainer. They’re divers.
12. She rehearses for a play. She wear a costume and acts on stage. The girls wants to ride the Ferris wheel. There are swing at the park. 13 Look and Talk 1 2 Think and Write Write about your friends and your fun activity. Review Word Box Word Box rehearses play costumes act Ferris wheel swings My friends and I like to go to the movies together. We can watch the actors on the big screen. The actors play different characters. My favorite movies are about superheroes. I like to watch the superheroes fight crime and save people from harm. Sometimes my friends and I draw pictures of our own superhero characters.
13. PART 2 Think and Write 14 CINDY ballet Mark baseball Danny soccer Brian Name the game BALL baseball football Martha tennis Susie racquetball tennis catch ping-pong volleyball basketball golf soccer
14. 15 Look and Talk 1 2 The girl and the boy are on the taekwon-do team. The friends have a picnic at the park. 3 4 They play a board game at the girl’s house. They play musical chairs in the classroom. Answer the Questions Vocabulary Building 1 Q: When is the game? A: The game is on Sunday afternoon. 2 Q: Where is the game taking place? A: ____________________________________ The game is taking place at the park. 3 Q: Who will be at the game? A: ____________________________________ My friends and my family will be at the game. 4 Q: What will you do at the game? A: ___________________________________ I will play shortstop to catch the ball. 5 Q: What will you do before the game? A: ____________________________________ I will practice throwing the ball with my friend.
15. PART 2 Think and Write 16 Cindy is excited about her school theme park classmates field trip theme park roller coaster shorter taller bumper cars Word Box .The field trip will be on Friday. She will go with her . Cindy and her friends are at the .They wait to ride the fun You have to be tall enough to ride. Cindy’s friends are all tall enough to sit in the roller coaster. But Cindy is than her friends. She’s too short to ride. She will wait for nextyear. She will ride the roller coaster when she grows . She can ride the for now! field trip roller coaster classmates taller shorter bumper cars
16. 17 Look and Talk Situation 1 1 Situation 2 1 They go to the lake. They mix the dough. Read and Write 3 They get ready to go rafting. 3 4 They raft down the river. 4 2 2 Predicted Writing They cut the dough. She puts the pan in the oven. 1 classmates ___________________________________________________ Jenny and her classmates ride the bus to the park. 2 field trip ___________________________________________________ They go on a field trip together in the afternoon. 3 ride ___________________________________________________ The friends ride the bumper cars. Many families enjoy the theme park. 4 theme park ___________________________________________________ 5 shorter ___________________________________________________ Jenny’s little brother is shorter than her friend. 6 roller coaster ___________________________________________________ The roller coaster moves fast up and down. 7 taller ___________________________________________________ The spotted giraffe is taller than the grey elephant. He enjoys the fun ride. They enjoy the cookies.
17. PART 2 Look and Write saw many animals. On the field trip we saw lions, tigers, and giraffes. 18 2 4 Word Tips sang a song rode bikes saw animals 1 3 (Soccer) He and his friends practiced for the big game on Saturday. (Cycling) At the race they (Field Trip) We went to the zoo and (Chorus) The chorus The cyclists pedaled fast to the finish line. We hear the choir sing in harmony with each other. saw the cyclists. sang a song in the auditorium.
18. The two friends jump on the trampoline. They like dancing to a fun song at a party. He likes riding on his snow board. He likes throwing the boomerang in the air. 19 Look and Talk 1 2 jumping Write about having fun with your friends. Skillful Writing 3 4 riding dancing throwing Think and Write I have the most fun with my friends when I play soccer. My friends and I are on a team together. We play soccer after school on the field. Our coach helps us to practice for the big game. Our families watch us from the stands when we play against other teams, . My mom and dad like to cheer for me. Sometimes I make a goal when I kick the ball. My teammates and I are very happy when we win a game.
19. PART 2 Look and Write 1 2 We dance and sing in the Christmas play. I am on the baseball team with my friends. The play is called the “Littlest Christmas Tree”. I dress up as the little tree. I sing a solo at the end. Sentences Box 20 1 We dance and sing in the Christmas play. 2 The play is called the “Littlest Christmas Tree”. 3 I dress up as the little tree. 4 I sing a solo at the end. 5 I am on a baseball team with my friends. 6 I can swing my bat and hit the ball. 7 The ball flies high in the air. 8 I run fast to first base and slide there safe. I can swing my bat and hit the ball. The ball flies high in the air. I run fast to first base and slide there safe.
20. 21 Look and Talk Expressing Opinions 1 2 The boy falls and gets hurt riding his roller skates. The boy and girl run into a bear in the woods. Think and Write Write about the above pictures. PICTURE 1: The boy was riding his roller skates with his friends. He tried to skate backwards. He learned how to skate backwards very well. He tried to skate and jump in the air. He jumped but he fell and hurst his leg. PICTURE 2: The girl and the boy are on a camping trip. They go for a walk in the forest. They hear a large growl in the woods. They look around but there are only tall trees around them. All of a sudden, a big bear appears in front of them. They cannot move because they are so scared.
21. PART 2 Think and Write 1 throw He throws a fast ball at the player. 2 run ________________________________________________ I run to home plate. 3 jump ________________________________________________ They jump up on the trampoline. 4 catch ________________________________________________ She catches the softball in the air. 5 friend ________________________________________________ Look and Write 1 22 2 3 4 I play chess in the park with a friend. She’s going to the beach with her friends. The sun is very high and the weather is very hot. The friends play volleyball in the sun. They become tired from the heat of the sun. The friends decide to rest. She rests on her beach blanket under the sun. She falls asleep and her skin turns bright red. She will remember to bring her sun lotion.
22. 23 Look and Talk Review The divers get ready to go diving. They jump in the water. 1 2 They see many creatures in the sea. The girl meets a dolphin under the water. 3 4 Think and Write Why do we wear special outfits to go diving? Write down your thoughts. We wear wetsuits and scuba gear to go diving to help us breathe under water. When we swim deep into the ocean we need air to breathe. Divers use equipment such as oxygen tanks to help them breathe under water for a long time. The wetsuits help to protect the divers from the temperature of the water. As the divers swim deeper into the ocean they can see many interesting sea creatures. The scuba divers can learn a lot about what lives beneath water’s surface.
23. PART 3 Listen and Write 24 1. She can ________ to the other side of the lake. 2. She is a goalkeeper on the water polo _______. team 3. They will play in the varsity game after ______. 4. We ______ the second half of the baseball game. 5. The _______ takes the students on a field trip. 6. He __________ his arms and legs before the race. 7. The coach watches the _______ as the time passes. 8. He makes a _______ homerun and they win the game. 9. These are new running ________ for the big race. 10. A dancer can do a _______ with his legs. 11. He _______ into the air to dunk in the basketball. 12. I _________ by stretching my body for a long time. 13. We _______ the other players during field practice. 14. She is ________ to make it to the finish line. 15. They _________ one behind the other for training. 16. He must _________ his helmet after the game. 17. They wait for the whistle to call _______ on the track. team school watch teacher swim late sneakers split stretches clock first line up leaps warm up join start take off swim watch teacher jumps warm up first line up Word Box start wear join split shoes late clock stretches school
24. 25 Look and Talk 1 2 They are swimming in a race. He is playing in a baseball game. They boys play basketball on the court. They play soccer in the field. 3 4 Read and Write Vocabulary 1 This includes members of a group who work or play together. t e a m team 2 It is a device that tells the time. c l o c k 3 This is an action that means to look at. w a t c h 4 It is what sports players do to get ready for a game. w u a r m p clock watch warm up
25. PART 3 Look and Write 26 ready clock fast takes off start position Word Box O.k. I’m in . Yes, I’m ! Are you ready, Bobby? clock I’ll set the and say ‘Go!’ and press . Whew! I did my best, coach. Bobby from the starting line. He runs very . ready takes off fast position start
26. The boy and his father watch a baseball game on TV. The boy and his friend watch a baseball game in the stadium. 27 Dialogue Situation 1 1 Situation 2 2 Look and Talk Read and Respond 1 2 3 4 Is this the swim team? Can I join the team? I can dive off a board! When do I start? Yes, this is the swim team. Sure, do you know how to swim? That’s great! We do need a diver to join the team. You can start today!
27. PART 3 Grammar Point Read and Write 28 The past Tense Verb + -ed I/You/We/They watch watched He/She/It watches I/You/We/They stretch stretched He/She/It stretches Irregular Verbs I/You/We/They swim swam He/She/It swims I/You/We/They leap leapt He/She/It leaps I/You/We/They take took He/She/It takes 1. They watch the game in the stadium. They watched the game in the stadium. 2. She stretches in the field. She stretched in the field. 3. They swim in a relay race. They swam in a relay race. 4. He leaps on the skate board. He leapt on the skateboard. 5. We take the trophy after the game. We took the trophy after the game.
28. 29 Grammar Look and Talk 1 3 She wears a swimsuit to the beach. She/wears/a swimsuit They/stretch Read and Rewrite 1. He watched the softball game at the park. 4 He wears a baseball cap to the game. He/wears/a baseball cap 2. They stretched for the track and field event. _____________________________________________________________________ 3. He took the prize for the first place. _____________________________________________________________________ 4. We played air hockey after school. _____________________________________________________________________ 5. They waited for the referee to start. _____________________________________________________________________ 6. She ______________ over the hurdles. _____________________________________________________________________ 7. I _______________ to the shoreline. _____________________________________________________________________ We/line up 2 He watches the softball game at the park. They stretch for the track and field event. He takes the prize for the first place. We play air hockey after school. They wait for the referee to start. jumped She jumps over the hurdles. swam I swim to the shoreline. We line up before the game starts in the stadium. They stretch before the race in the field.
29. PART 3 Look and Write 30 3 4 Stretching timeout good swimmer stretching backstrokes more points warm up timeout 1 Word Box 2 Timmy and Tony are on the baseball team. Timmy is a first baseman and Tony is a second baseman. They are infielders. He stretches his arms backward. She stretches her legs forward. is a proper way to . backstrokes I can dive and I can do . I practice every day. I am a very swimmer . There was not much time left in the game. The players needed . The Coach called . warm up more points
30. The runners warm up before the race. The basketball player shoots the ball in the hoop. 31 Logic Practice Look and Talk 2 The swimmer race in a relay. The gymnasts prepare for a competition. 1. A baseball player knows how to catch a ball. A baseball player knows how to throw a ball. Baseball players know how to catch and throw balls. 2. He stretches before the race. She warms up before the race. The swimmers 3. She can paddle in the pool. She can do backstrokes in the pool. She can paddle and do backstrokes in the pool. 4. He can run fast around the track. She can run over hurdles around the track. 1 3 4 Read and Rewrite The runners can stretch and warm up before the race. run fast and over hurdles around the track.
31. PART 3 Read and Write Teddy is an outstanding _________ keeper. He can leap into the air to ________the soccer ball. He __________ every other day with his _________. They warm up by doing _________ and by _________ across the field. Teddy’s sister Carol is on the swim team. She can _______ under water for a _______ time. She swims ________ than many of her teammates. Like her brother, she practices three days a week. Teddy and Carol are great athletes. Read and Rewrite 32 faster practices goal stretches teammates swim dashing long catch Word Box 1. He watched the game. 2. They swam across the water. 3. She joined the swim team. 4. He leapt high into the air. 5. I took the blue ribbon home. 6. You started running too late. 7. He stretched his arms and legs. He watches the game. ___________________________________. They swim across the water ___________________________________. She joins the swim team ___________________________________. ___________________________________. ___________________________________. ___________________________________. long He leaps high in the air I take the blue ribbon home You start running too late He stretches his arms and legs catch goal practices teammates stretches dashing swim faster
32. The ball hits his friend on the head. He is injured but his friend makes him feel better. 33 Review Look and Talk They practice before the game. He throws the ball to his teammate. 1 2 3 4 Think and Write Write about the sports activity that you like to play. I like to play badminton. I can play badminton with a friend. Sometimes my friend and I like to play badminton against two players on the other side. We make a good team because we are both very fast and good at hitting the birdie over the net. Sometimes I practice bouncing the birdie on my racquet to see how high I can make it fly.
33. PART 4 Think and Write 34 Team ice hockey Sport helmet skates cycling football ice ball jump dash baseball running afternoon practice train timeout relay coach puck goal crowd shoot net stands basketball stadium soccer
34. Vocabulary Building 35 Look and Talk The skiers race down the hill. The skaters dance on ice. 1 2 3 4 They swim across the water. They play hockey on on the ice. Answer the Questions 1 Q: How many members are on your team? A: _____________________________________________________ There are twelve players on my team. 2 Q: Who are the members? A: _____________________________________________________ All of my teammates are friends who live in my neighborhood. 3 Q: How do you play the game? A: _____________________________________________________ I play the game by dribbling and shooting the ball. 4 Q: Where do you play? A: _____________________________________________________ I play on the court near my school. 5 Q: What do you like about the game? A: _____________________________________________________ I like to play and watch my friends score points!
35. PART 4 Think and Write 36 I will start my figure skating lessons next Monday. I will join the skating team with my friends. We will dance on ice. to buy sports equipment ice skates pick a pair Word Box I’m happy to join the team of figure skaters. I make some new friends. Our Coach teaches us to practice in pairs. At the big competition the crowd cheers. My mom and dad are in the stands. They watch me leap into the air and land safe. I need to buy a new pair of skates. My mother and I go to the sports equiment store. She lets me pick a pair that I like most.
36. 37 Predicted Writing Look and Talk Situation 1 1 The runner wins first place at the race. The players win the basball game. Read and Write Situation 2 2 1 join ________________________________________________ I am joining the figure skating team next Monday. 2 ice ________________________________________________ They watch the skaters dance on ice. equipment ________________________________________________ 3 4 The sports equipment store has many different skates. pair ________________________________________________ 5 I choose a white pair of skates. competition ________________________________________________ We practice for the big competition. 6 crowd ________________________________________________ The crowd cheers as the skater lands a jump. 7 stands ________________________________________________ My parents are in the stands watching the skaters.
37. PART 4 Look and Write 38 2 They are baseball players. 4 He is a skater. He is skating up the ramp. We are runners. Word Tips up the ramp on the field around the track 1 3 (swimmer) She is a swimmer. She’s warming up to start swimming. (baseball player) (skater) (runner) They are playing baseball on the field. We are running around the track.
38. 39 Skillful Writing Look and Talk He skated across the ice. She swam in the water. 3 They ran on the track. He caught the ball in the air. Think and Write Write about your coach, teammate, or friend. 1 4 2 He/skated/ice They/ran/track She/swam/water He/caught/ball My coach helps me to become a good tennis player. She helps me learn how to throw the ball in the air and hit the ball with my racket. My coach tells me to keep my eye on the ball and be ready to run quickly. I have to move very fast and think on my toes when the other player hits the ball. The first time I played tennis, I hit the ball high and out of the tennis court. I felt so embarrased but since then my coach has helped me become a lot better.
39. PART 4 Look and Write 1 2 There are twelve people on my team. We’re always practicing and playing with each other. Sometimes we shou to cheer on our teammates. Sentences Box 40 I am a skier on the ski team. I can race down a tall hill. The coach teaches us to leap into the air. I must have good form or else I will fall. 1 There are twelve people on my team. 2 We’re always practicing and playing with each other. 3 Sometimes we shout to cheer on our teammates. 4 When we win a game we celebrate together. 5 I am a skier on the ski team. 6 I can race down a tall hill. 7 The coach teaches us to leap into the air. 8 I must have good form or else I will fall. But each time I jump I get better. 6 But each time I jump I get better. When we win a game we celebrate together.
40. Expressing Opinions 41 Look and Talk 1 2 The player gets injured. The player makes a goal. Think and Write Write about the above illustrations. PICTURE 1: The boy is a goal keeper on the soccer team. He tried to catch the ball in the air during the game. He caught the ball in the air but he fell on his arm. He got injured so he has to wear an arm brace. PICTURE 2: The boy is a soccer player. He is happy because he made a goal for the team. He practices with his teammates and loves to play in the field. He can do many things with the ball. He can even bounce the ball on his head!
41. PART 4 Think and Write Look and Write 42 1 skier The skier is racing down the mountain. 2 teammate _____________________________________________________ He kicks the ball to his teammate on the field. The coach instructs the players before the game. The skater glides across the icing rink. A swimmer dives into the pool. 3 coach _____________________________________________________ 4 skater _____________________________________________________ 5 swimmer _____________________________________________________ 1 2 3 4 It was the day of the big game. I was with my teammates in the soccer field. My friend Tommy went for the goal with a kick. The goalie leapt into the air to catch the ball. I went for the goal with a fast kick. The other team player got in the way. The referee called a foul and I got injured. Now I wear an arm brace.
42. 43 Look and Talk He throws the ball on the baseball mound. 1 2 They play soccer after school in the field. 3 4 They ride the canoe in the lake. He swims with his friend in the ocean. Think and Write Review Why do sports team members practice with one another? Write your thoughts. Team member practice with one another to help each other become bet-ter players. When my teammates and I practice together, I challenge myself to swim faster. During practice we learn a lot about each of our abilities. We help each other become better players by cheering for one another during a game. When my teammate wins a competittion, I am happy for her because it means I have helped her become a better swimmer.
as of March 2013 - Sample - Complete list of publication of Bert Myer . Monograph: 1. Finnman, A., Myer, B. (2010): Short sentences in Thomas Mann.
Sample Publications Free Publications at Create Magazines. W e are currently working on a FREE magazine sections at our online digital publishing website ...
Publication 557 - Additional Material Table of Contents. Appendix ... Sample Articles of Organization, continued. Draft B . The Charitable Trust.
Dover Publications book Creative Haven: Day of the Dead Coloring Book only $5.99 here. Currently $5.39 on Amazon and eligible for Prime member free shipping.
Title: Sample Letter for Permission to use copyrighted works in a publication Author: sarlic Last modified by: ellendubinsky Created Date: 8/26/2008 2:54:00 PM
All our Society publications on CDs or downloads are structured in the same way, so once you know how to use one publication, you will be familiar with all ...
Publication Resume. Resume; Public Relations Resume; Publication Resume; A job position in the publication department is usually related to media and ...
Define publication. publication synonyms, publication pronunciation, publication translation, English dictionary definition of publication. n. 1.
APA Style has been adapted by many disciplines and is used by writers around the world. ... More about the Publication Manual More about APA Style.
Daphne Gray-Grant with tips for beating writer’s block, writing, copywriters, communicators.