Published on April 1, 2014
CONSULTATIVE MEETING: SME POLICY PROPOSAL ON JOINT ACTIVITIES BETWEEN OECD AND ASEAN Bali, 24 March 2014
Potential areas of co-operation (1) I. Horizontal (Regional) Approach In cooperation with ERIA and ASEC 1. OECD-ASEAN SME policy dialogue on good practices 2. Regional SME policy capacity building 3. Comparative SME policy assessment in the ten ASEAN member countries
1. OECD-ASEAN SME Policy Dialogue on Good Practices • Characterisation: Establish a SME policy network between the OECD and ASEAN member countries. • Objective: exchange on good practices in SME policy and supporting tools, building upon the work of the OECD Working Party on SMEs and Entrepreneurship, ASEAN SME Working Group, ERIA and ADB. . • Outlook: 1st OECD-ASEAN Workshop on Good Practices will take place on 13 June 2014 in Manila in connection with the 34th ASEAN SME Working Group meeting. Focus - Start-ups and Technological transfer
2. Regional SME policy capacity building seminars • Characterisation: capacity building events (e.g. for CLMV countries) to share and discuss instruments, methodologies and best practices from OECD and ASEAN countries. • Objective: strengthen institutional capacity and to close the development gap in SME policy between the CLMV countries and the ASEAN-6. • Experience: ERIA OECD Capacity Building Seminar on SME Policy, 29 November 2013Work.
3. Comparative SME policy assessment in the 10 ASEAN countries • Characterisation: ASEAN SME Policy Index is a benchmarking tool to monitor the progress of the ASEAN SME policy performance jointly with ERIA and with the support of ASEC and ASEAN SME Working Group. • Objective: compare SME policy implementation across countries and support governments in setting targets • Outlook: The next ASEAN SME policy assessment 2015/6 and light interim monitoring of the implementation of reforms and recommendations in 2015 (tbc)
II. Vertical (Country/Thematic) Approach 1. Access to finance by SMEs 2. Skills development for SMEs 3. SME internationalisation and integration in global value chains 4. Innovation and intellectual assets 5. Alternative source of funding of SMEs 6. Inclusive Entrpreneurship (women, youth, minority, social) and start-up support Potential areas of co-operation (2)
1. Access to finance by SMEs • Characterisation: develop data and statistical information on SMEs’ and entrepreneurs’ access to finance. • Objective: provide a frame work to monitor the degree at which financial markets serve small businesses and entrepreneurs and the conditions at which SME lending is provided • Experience: OECD and the ADB started collaboration in the area of SME finance, launching a project on “Enhancing Financial Accessibility for SMEs”, which looks at policies to improve access to bank lending and alternative financing instruments.
2. Skills development for SMEs • Characterisation: OECD Skills Strategy that helps identify the strengths and weaknesses of their existing national skills pool and skills system, benchmark them internationally and develop policies for improvement. • Objective: improve knowledge about skills shortages in the SME sector, skills upgrading mechanisms and policy approaches being used in ASEAN and OECD countries • Experience: Initiative on Employment and Skills Strategies in Southeast Asia (ESSSA), which already engages employment and training authorities across Southeast Asia
THANK YOU Anita.Richter@oecd.org
October Webinar slides
Photos from Lodi Public LIbrary NJ of successful community partnership programs th...
This was presented at the Mauritius UNESCO Conference 2014 to celebrate the Inden...
The field of behavioral economics is revolutionizing the policy and business world...
Meeting of the OECD Council at Ministerial ... approved a joint proposal by the OECD and ... the region and between OECD and Southeast Asian ...
Home > News > OECD and ERIA Parliamentary League Joint Meeting OECD and ... the activities of OECD and ... of Korea were Asian members of OECD.
JOINT WTO/OECD BACKGROUND PAPER ON AID FOR ... to foster synergies between ... Table 8 gives an overview of the activities conducted in ASEAN since 2007.
OECD SOUTHEAST ASIA ... Southeast Asian ministers approved a joint proposal by ... both with in the region and between OECD and Southeast Asian
... disseminating findings and providing policy recommendations towards East Asian ... on Joint Policy Research. ERIA and the OECD ... between ERIA experts ...
OECD ACTIVITIES REPORT, ... and ASEAN (2004) for Malaysia, ... enhanced economic co-operation between OECD countries via comprehensive reductions in
To join the international tax cartel or ... Negotiations between the OECD and the listed tax havens had continued ... OECD then why should Asian nations.
OECD's proposal to the Korean Ministry of Health and Welfare of establishing a Joint Korea/OECD Regional ... between the OECD and Asian ...
... the Chinese Ministry of Science and Technology has published the first call for proposals ... cooperation is the joint demand between ... Asian centre ...