Published on November 7, 2016
1. Preparing for DevOps: How to lay the foundation for success Donnie Berkholz, Ph.D. Research Director — Development, DevOps, & IT Ops Hostway webcast, October 2016
2. 2 Polling Question 1. Not interested – no plans to move to DevOps or continuous deployment 2. Just getting feet wet - beginning to test DevOps methodologies/tools 3. In process – actively applying DevOps methodologies/tools 4. Fully adopted – expert level DevOps adoption Where is your organization in it’s adoption of DevOps?
3. 3 Source: 451 Research/Microsoft Cloud+Hosting commissioned research Minimizing risk, maximizing agility
4. The need for speed 4 Source: 451 DevOps study, Q3 2014; n=237 63% want more
5. DevOps: Putting IT into high gear 5
6. 6 Agile, truly tip to tail Business to customer
7. 3 pillars of DevOps 7 Culture Automation Measurement
8. 8 Culture: Tear down all the silos Flickr: kalandrakas
9. Automation: Infrastructure as code 9 Wikipedia: Magnus Manske
10. Knight Capital and the $460 million bug 10 Wikipedia: Jericho
11. Continuous delivery 11 Source: continuousautomation.com
12. Where are we today? 12 10.0% 54.7% 27.9% 6.8% 0.7% Highly Manual Manual with Limited Automation Tools Automated with Manual Exception Handling Policy Based Automation and Orchestration Other n = 843 Source: 451 VotE Cloud, Q3 2015
13. Measurement: #monitoringsucks/monitoringlove 13
14. 0% 10% 20% 30% 40% 50% 60% < 250 employees 250-999 employees 1,000-9,999 employees >10,000 employees DevOps adoption: resource-dependent? 14 451 Research, Voice of the Enterprise: Software-Defined Infrastructure, Q4 2015 (n=568)
15. DevOps tools in use still vary widely 15 33.83% 37.31% 39.30% 39.30% 40.80% 40.80% 44.28% 45.77% 51.24% 51.74% 63.18% Infrastructure as a Service Build and continuous integration… Application… Traditional middleware and… Release management Platform as a Service QA planning and automation tools Configuration management &… Performance Monitoring and… Project management tools Testing Source: 451 Research/Red Hat, Q1 2016, n=201
16. 6.0% 27.9% 34.3% 23.4% 3.5% 1.0% 3.5% 0.5% 0% 5% 10% 15% 20% 25% 30% 35% 40% Release speed still lags demand 16 Source: 451 Research/Red Hat, Q1 2016, n=201
17. Preparing for DevOps: The road to success
18. Collaborate: Get your KPIs and tools right 18 Flickr: koenvereeken
19. Build empathy: Cross-train people, learn new skillsets 19 Flickr: soldiersmediacenter
20. Start small: Generate early wins, the avalanche can wait 20 Flickr: wsdot
21. 21 Flickr: respresFlickr: hartvig, snapeverything, roymaloon New mindsets, new tools
22. 0% 10% 20% 30% 40% 50% 60% 70% 80% 90% < 250 employees 250-999 employees 1,000-9,999 employees >10,000 employees Be agile, test continuously 22 451 Research, Voice of the Enterprise: Software-Defined Infrastructure, Q4 2015 (n=670)
23. Find the right home: Don’t let the venue get in your way 23 Flickr: shannonmary
24. John Enright Chief Technology Officer Introducing Hostway
25. 25 Polling Question 1. Google Cloud 2. Azure 3. AWS 4. Other Which public cloud platforms has your organization used for DevOps and/or continuous delivery?
26. Hybrid Cloud – Powered by Microsoft Azure • The rapid scalability of the Azure Public Cloud • The performance and security of the Hostway’s Virtual Private Cloud • All backed by proven Hostway managed support. Microsoft Azure Public Cloud Virtual Private Cloud Hostway Managed Support + “Hostway’s strategy positions it well to take advantage of both hybrid requirements and existing customer commitment to the Microsoft platform. “ – Liam Eagle, 451 Research
27. Microsoft Azure Public Cloud Leading hyper-scale cloud platform Microsoft Backed by proven Hostway managed support Hostway Managed Support • Architecture guidance, assistance with configuration, provisioning, deployment • Microsoft escalation support • Backup assistance • Remote management / troubleshooting • Monitoring of resource utilization / alerts • Installation, configuration, patching, and troubleshooting • Account management (UI assistance, help adding users, etc) +
28. Virtual Private Cloud Physically Isolated Compute (CPU/RAM) Storag e (HDD) Network Resources Spinupanddown VM’s,networkgroups • Familiar toolset and API for complete control and investment protection APIResource Pool (Dedicated Cluster, N+1)
29. Run your App where it Runs Best - BEV Private CloudDedicatedOn-Premises Public Cloud Compliance & Security Dependent Apps Spikey Load Apps Configuration-Dependent Apps Legacy Apps Cloudy / Infrastructure Aware Apps Rapid Scalability Apps Steady Load Apps
30. Over 17 Years Going Above and Beyond Give every customer, regardless of size, the exceptional service they deserve Provide 24×7 phone access to real people – cloud hosting experts that are committed to customer success Deliver unmatched technical expertise, including deep Microsoft/Azure knowledge as Microsoft Gold Certified Hosting partner Empower customers to run their apps where they run best – enabled through our broad hybrid cloud portfolio
31. Next Steps Contact Hostway to Get Started firstname.lastname@example.org Sales@hostway.com 855.713-5133
32. Q&A Questions?
33. 33 Thank you! Donnie Berkholz Twitter: @dberkholz email@example.com
34. Some content from this presentation is Creative-Commons licensed. https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/ https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/ 34
451 Research and Hostway will discuss best practices for getting your organization ready to run an effective DevOps program.
Pingback: Webinar: Preparing for DevOps: Laying the foundation for success – DevOps.com… – DevOps Infographics Resource Center – Programming and IT()
Preparing for DevOps – How To Lay the Foundation for Success. DevOps is rapidly gaining traction as a ... 451 Research and Hostway discuss best practices for ...
... and action plan for DevOps success on your ... Lay the foundation for building your Agile success. ... Prepare for PMI-ACP certification while learning to ...
Webinar: Preparing for DevOps: Laying the foundation for success - DevOps.com...
SAP DevOps – Laying the Foundation for Success. by admin on May 24th, 2017. Recommend This Post! Anthony Cecchini is the President of Information Technology ...
Your simple plan for DevOps success. ... the road to automation in the Enterprise is ... into automation without first laying the groundwork for your success.
By preparing now, and better ... Collaboration is key to the success of DevOps. ... One of the main benefits of DevOps is creating a more agile business, ...