Published on June 7, 2016
1. PR Hacking How to Build a Relationship that Converts to Sales
2. Agenda •Why do PR •Strategy for your PR •How to hack your PR @shiraabel
3. 3 Why do we need PR?
4. 4 Do you have a product to sell?
5. 5 For your product to sell people need to know it exists
6. 6 PR builds awareness in a wide audience quickly
7. Hi, I’m Shira (@shiraabel) @hunterandbard
8. I’ve been doing marketing in tech companies for a long time @hunterandbard
9. I’m a mentor at 500 Startups, & was a Founding Mentor at Google Campus, and Microsoft Ventures Accelerator @hunterandbard
10. And I have an MBA from Kellogg School of Management @hunterandbard
11. PURPOSE OF PR Why are you doing PR?
12. Why Do PR? • Looking to raise money • Hiring • Creating awareness in the market • Downloads of your app / Sales • Signalling to competitors @shiraabel
13. What is Earned Media & PR • Blog posts that you write and submit for publishing (how-to’s are great for this) • Coverage from any media (radio interview, blog post, news article, etc) • Mentions from others that you didn’t pitch • Evangelists who are well known (imagine Oprah mentioning you to her minions) @shiraabel
14. Why Earned Media & PR • Exposes you to big numbers all at once • Gives a spike of traffic • May be strategic instead of pure growth (e.g. TechCrunch might not be the target market, but it’s what VCs read) • Has a strong trust rate @shiraabel
15. The Holy Trinity of Marketing Online GREAT PRODUCT Earned Media / PR Relationship Marketing SEO / Ads / Affiliate @shiraabel
16. PR STRATEGY What is your goal?
17. Performance Measurement • Is your objective SMART: specific, measurable, achievable, realistic & time specific? • What are your strategic initiatives? – Build awareness – Expand distribution (i.e. increase downloads) – Get more funding – Hire great people • How will you measure (KPIs)? – Traffic – Sales – Applications – Interest from VCs @shiraabel
18. Your Goal Determines Strategy If you want to raise money, pitching to mommy bloggers won’t help. Unless one of them just raised a fund. @shiraabel
19. HOW TO DO PR Let’s get to the nitty gritty
20. Your List is Gold •Journalists •Analysts •Influencers @shiraabel
22. How to Do Earned Media & PR • Get to know media & bloggers on Twitter long before launch • Give • 2 weeks before launch ask if they would be willing to check out your product (consider an embargo) • I’ve heard of success from mass emails (luckiest woman I’ve ever met – only case of success I know) • KEEP YOUR ASK SHORT @shiraabel
23. Sample Email
24. Tools You Need • Google Alerts: ✴Who is covering your competition? ✴Who owns your keywords? • SimilarWeb ✴What are your keywords? ✴What is your competition focusing on 24
25. Content is Media • Guest blogging is one of the best ways to do this • Webinars / Presentations with bigger partners that give helpful industry related information (think Crunched and its Growth Hacker series) • Create an infographic for others to share @shiraabel
26. Writing - What Do You Read? • No one cares about your company • People are busy • They care about what they need for work or life • Don’t waste their time • Speak to the journalist with respect @shiraabel
27. Get Emotional • Fear – Insurance • Guilt – Mother’s Day • Trust – Financial institutions • Value – Matching prices • Belonging – Part of our community • Competition – Doing better than the Jones’s • Instant Gratification – I want it now • Leadership – Early adopter & evangelist • Trendsetting – What are the leaders doing? • Time – Save time @shiraabel
28. International Markets • Americans spell correctly. However, the British disagree. There are more Americans than British ☺ (localize your English – even when it’s for Australians) • Spelling and grammar count – mistakes lower trust levels in all languages and cultures • Find someone from the culture you’re aiming to sell to, who knows marketing – to do your marketing. OR – go there & live for a bit. Understanding culture is critical. @shiraabel
29. Boomerang in Gmail @shiraabel This helps you remember to send that follow up email.
30. Sidekick by Hubspot @shiraabel Find out when the email you sent was opened by the recipient.
31. Connect! • @shiraabel • http://www.linkedin.com/in/shiraabel • http://www.facebook.com/shiraabel • https://plus.google.com/u/0/+ShiraAbel/ posts • http://www.instagram.com/shiraabel • http://www.pinterest.com/shira_abel
32. Hat tip:
33. References & Reads • All of the stock photos are taken from http://thestocks.im/ • THANK YOU’S: Heather Meeker from http://meekerquinn.com/ • http://uxmovement.com/forms/why-users-fill-out-less-if-you-mark-required-fields/ • http://dancounsell.com/articles/prompting-for-app-reviews • http://agevik.se/post/72876032312/20-lessons-about-making-viral-apps-i-learned-the-hard • http://contentmarketinginstitute.com/2011/09/web-content-conversions/ • http://www.slideshare.net/startuplessonslearned/eric-ries-the-lean-startup-google-tech-talk • http://www.slideshare.net/gzicherm/nir-eyal-hookedatgsummit • http://www.businessmodelgeneration.com/canvas • http://www.briansolis.com/2008/08/socialization-of-your-personal-brand_28/ • http://www.avc.com/a_vc/2004/03/its_a_small_wor.html • http://www.quora.com/Udemy/How-did-Udemy-get-11-000-courses-online-so-quickly • http://www.amazon.com/Mountain-Three-Wolf-Short-Sleeve/product-reviews/B002HJ377A • http://www.amazon.com/BIC-Cristal-1-0mm-Black-MSLP16-Blk/dp/B004F9QBE6 • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QmCUDHpNzE • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUG9qYTJMsI • http://www.macadamia-apps.com/app-launch-7-mistakes-to-learn-from/ • http://flowingdata.com/2011/09/18/yoda-pie-chart/ • http://blog.bitly.com/post/9887686919/you-just-shared-a-link-how-long-will-people-pay • http://www.briansolis.com/2011/09/whats-the-r-o-i-a-framework-for-social-analytics/ • http://www.slideshare.net/setlinger/altimeter-social-analytics081011final • Breakthrough Marketing Plans • http://www.seomoz.org/blog/tracking-the-roi-of-social-media • http://ideas.deloitte.ca/blog/2011/09/social-media-going-beyond-roi/ • http://www.jeffbullas.com/2011/09/20/the-10-key-mistakes-many-bloggers-and-writers-make/ • http://www.jeffbullas.com/2011/03/01/the-10-best-facebook-campaigns/ • http://www.facebook-studio.com/ • http://www.seomoz.org/blog/tracking-the-roi-of-social-media • http://marketingfortomorrow.com/tag/marketing-tone/ @shiraabel
34. Thank you!
★ Virtual Summit ★ Growth Hacking Tactics ... PR Hacking: How to Build a Relationship that ... Presella helps you track your online ticket sales, ...
Public Relations and the Internet ... In order to build a relationship with the target audience and maintain it on a high ...
Get 8 ways to use public relations to fuel the ... your company website to convert ... accelerate your content marketing success: 1. Build a ...
Careers in Public Relations ... How Public Relations Works. ... How to Convert to Mobile Business Communications;
Public Relations Tips and Tricks for Your Business. ... Build brand through ... it's recommended to cut out the traditional approach to public ...
How to Maximize the Symbiotic Relationship Between PR and ... You’ve got to build a relationship with those ... Convince & Convert, LLC New ...
Publicity is a great way to market your business and build brand awareness ... this lone tactic to convert ... Public Relations Ask the ...
... the question I am asked the most from marketers who are struggling to build their ... engage and convert them to sales. ... © 2016 Entrepreneur ...
Customer Relationship ... and nurturing the others until they’re ready to convert. Because Salesforce is entirely ... Salesforce Sales Cloud is the ...